RIP Tony Scott

Tom Jensen

There's nothing to say. Stop posting comments.

Who are you to be ordering people around!!!

I think theres quite a bit to say when one of the most hugely successful directors in the uk film industry with a wife and two sons, at the age of 68, jumps off a bridge with clear intent to kill themselves.

It leaves people confused and certainly asking questions, both about the situation and probably about their own lives.

People like to communicate to express their feelings with other people, especially when they are deeply shocked.

Certainly it's been the big topic of conversation here this morning.

Really hope all his family, both immediate and wider can come to terms with this as best they can.

I'm not a huge fan of the work of Tony Scott, but I feel very sad that this came to pass.

R.I.P. etc...

love

Freya

Condolences, of course, but can we please not refer to him as working in the UK film industry? Like so many other people, he was someone who had to leave the country to fulfil his potential.

Some truth to this, here is Tony talking about stuff:

OTOH Both Riddley and Tony Scott have worked extensively on commercials in the UK. AFAIK they both also partly own Shepperton-Pinewood. So I'd say it's not a straightforward thing. They both keep very strong UK connections.

The UK hasn't had a film industry as such for some time. We have a TV industry and most actual UK films that are made here are financed by the TV industry, at least in part. Dunno, don't think it's a cut and dried thing with the Scotts but certainly they worked in Hollywood extensively to further their careers.

love

Freya

I live on the Palos Verdes "hill", with a decent, elevated view of the Ports as well as thomas vincent bridge TS Jeronimo'd from. Nice lookin' piece of civil eng., esp at night, and esp. July 4th.

... but man I hope TS aimed for the water.

Otherwise .... what a mess. I live in the area and have to pay taxes to clean that stuff up.

A fellow jumps to his death and all you can take time out of your valuable day to (female dog) about is your wallet. Not a very nice sentiment.

Also reported for anonymity.

... but man I hope TS aimed for the water.

Otherwise .... what a mess. I live in the area and have to pay taxes to clean that stuff up.

He hit the water.

There are rumors going around that he had terminal brain cancer. No way to know yet if that's true, though.

A very sad event, I know a number of people who have committed suicide and their reasons are very hard to get your head around.

You need to use your real name, it's one of the Forum rules.

There are rumors going around that he had terminal brain cancer. No way to know yet if that's true, though.

When we were talking about it this morning we discussed the idea that he must have had some degenerative illness of some kind and couldn't face it.

It was the idea that seemed to make the most kind of sense. I even went as far as to suggest that maybe this accounts for Ridley stepping up his attempts to make a lot more films.

Of course this kind of speculation is trying to rationalise something that doesn't appear to make sense from outside.

Rumours may originate from the same way of thinking.

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

Well most of the major news outlets seem to be announcing the brain cancer thing as true.

It would be very understandable if that was the case.

Your brain is YOU, far more than any other part of you.

If you lose a finger or a hand or some other thing, that is surely distressing but your mind...

...that is truly frightening and horrific.

It's sad but personally I respect his decision if that is the case.

For the fans of the mans work here is an overview of it from Empire magazine:

http://www.empireonline.com/features/tony-scott-on-tony-scott/p1

love

Freya

Guest Christopher Sheneman

When we were talking about it this morning we discussed the idea that he must have had some degenerative illness of some kind and couldn't face it.

Well.. make sure you all have your Star magazines to cross reference.

• Premium Member

Amazing how many insensitive comments have been posted here. I would have expected more from the members of this forum. This comes off like some half-assed blog.

The man is dead. Whether you liked his films or not, whether you agree with his decision or not, everyone should respect his memory which, by default, shows respect to his family.

Rest In Peace, Tony.

Well.. make sure you all have your Star magazines to cross reference.

Do you mean like the express and star? Not 100% sure what you are talking about but I'm assuming from the name, some kind of celebrity thing. Firstly I'm not sure Tony Scott falls into the traditional category in that sense and secondly even if he did I would argue that celebrities are still people and I do have quite a distaste for those who suggest it is okay to be abusive to them because of their status.

Personally I think there are things to be learnt from other people in the film industry and their experiences.

love

Freya

Well most of the major news outlets seem to be announcing the brain cancer thing as true.

It would be very understandable if that was the case.

Your brain is YOU, far more than any other part of you.

If you lose a finger or a hand or some other thing, that is surely distressing but your mind...

...that is truly frightening and horrific.

It's sad but personally I respect his decision if that is the case.

For the fans of the mans work here is an overview of it from Empire magazine:

http://www.empireonline.com/features/tony-scott-on-tony-scott/p1

love

Freya

I don't know what I would do if I ever found myself in his position and I pray to God, I never have to find out. I probably wouldn't jump off a bridge though. If I had to do it so as to spare my family the pain watching me die a long lingering, painful decent into insanity and death, I'd probably get my affairs in order, wait until the last moment then OD on an Alcohol and Morphine cocktail. Just let my heart stop beating. Quick, painless, no gore, just go to sleep and never wake up. In a way, it took a lot of guts for Tony to throw himself off that bridge. I do have to admire the courage it took to spare his family that nightmare. I find it...bittersweet that he had to make that heartbreaking decision but at least as I see it, it was probably the kindest one he could have made under the circumstances. Here's to you, Mr. Scott. I drink in your honor. May angels guide you to eternal light.100319-beer-masks.jpg

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Well, it would appear that sites such as ABC news now have the journalistic integrity of a rag like the express and star so maybe Christopher had a point on that score:

"In the meantime, ABC News has backed off its initial story, posting an update on its web site headlined, “Tony Scott Brain Cancer Report Appears in Doubt.” The backpedaling follows an incident last month in which ABC News mistakenly reported that the man who killed 12 people in a shooting rampage at an Aurora, Colorado movie theater was linked to the Tea Party."

Classy! Theres plenty of places I can go on the internet for insubstantial gossip. Disney should stick to the Princesses and super hero movies and stay away from news it would seem.

Apparently the scott family themselves are denying the brain cancer reports.

Don't think reporting internet gossip as news is very helpful at a time when a family are already extremely distressed and have enough to deal with.

Really not good.