Is the use of film redundant?

James Gough

• Premium Member

If you know it's a complex issue then why ask questions that deliberately simplify and demand an either/or response? You're setting up a conflict through the questions. Even as part of a larger thesis, the statistical information you'll get from this kind of survey will be useless, because these days most professionals I know would find the questions too simplistic to be comfortable answering yes or no. Your response demographic will be skewed towards the diehard fringe on either side.

It strikes me as a rather lazy approach, reminds me of an online workplace evaluation survey I was once forced to do by a corporation that outsourced the process to a generic questionnaire assembler rather than be bothered simply talking to its own employees.

Sorry to be so blunt, but surveys like this really annoy me.

• Upvote 1

It's 2013 and our dusty fax machine in the production office sprung to life as a quote came through this morning.

We hadn't had a fax for ages! :o

Meanwhile, we shoot hardly any 35mm these days, quite a lot of Super 16 and LOADS of Super 8 for clients and our own projects.

Hey guys I know this has been discussed a ridiculous amount, but I'm doing some research for a university assignment. Just three multiple choice questions that I need cinematographers to answer for some primary research. If you have a spare 2 minutes today I'd appreciate it.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NLVQCBS

Don't forget to read the small print folks! :)

This survey cheered me up as I now have the thought in my head of shooting loads of film in 10 years time. It's quite exciting! :)

love

Freya

• Upvote 1

Not really a matter of getting away, just one of things that everyone works with.

It's interesting that you're obsessed with this rule. This is twice that I read this same post from you tonight... Perhaps it's better to focus your time on productive things than to police a silly internet forum, hmmm?

Edited by Ira Goldman

• Premium Member

It's interesting that you're obsessed with this rule. This is twice that I read this same post from you tonight... Perhaps it's better to focus your time on productive things than to police a silly internet forum, hmmm?

Ira, I would behave myself if I were you and not make an enemy of people who have preceeded you here by a large margin. Brian means no harm but it is YOUR responsibility to read the rules as you decided to sign up. David Mullen has told people the same thing and I dont think you would want to disrespect him like you just did Brian.

It's not just me that reminds people about this rule other members do so. I'm just doing it in passing. There are a number of industry forums that operate on a full real name basis, some people just need a reminder.

Ira, I would behave myself if I were you and not make an enemy of people who have preceeded you here by a large margin. Brian means no harm but it is YOUR responsibility to read the rules as you decided to sign up. David Mullen has told people the same thing and I dont think you would want to disrespect him like you just did Brian.

lol. YES SIR.

It's not just me that reminds people about this rule other members do so. I'm just doing it in passing. There are a number of industry forums that operate on a full real name basis, some people just need a reminder.

I can understand the need for transparency when it comes to the identity of people on these forums, especially when the guilds are paying close attention to what is being said, and how people are discussing their work, but to enforce it, i find it hard to believe that the forum moderators would spend all this time in doing so, especially for such a needless imposition on people who are doing nothing "disrespectful" but asking harmless questions on legitimate topics, unless that person on the message board was causing problems.

why do you think it's important for people on this site to keep tabs on everyone?

maybe im not understanding the requirement, and why it's so important.

• Premium Member

You tend to be much more respectful, Ira, in a forum of your peers/future employers/co-workers, when you have to use your real name. Of course, it's damned hard to tell if it's your real name or not. However, there is a level of professional decorum expected and required on this forum which keeps it from turning into the wild west, and it's enforced not by the moderators, but by the community as a whole. The same is true for CML, and both of which have a much better Signal to Noise ratio than sites where you're fighting with "Cameraman44221131_B" or what have you.

• Premium Member

maybe im not understanding the requirement, and why it's so important.

With all due respect, Ira, its a rule of a private forum and you "understanding the requirement" isnt a requisite of the rule being enforced. Sometimes rules may seem arbitrary or maybe there is a reason but the rule is there so you should follow it if you choose to frequent this site. It amazes me the attitude people have about this. I almost wonder if people have some nefarious reason for not wanting to give their real name. Are you a fugitive? I don't see the big issue.

With all due respect, Ira, its a rule of a private forum and you "understanding the requirement" isnt a requisite of the rule being enforced. Sometimes rules may seem arbitrary or maybe there is a reason but the rule is there so you should follow it if you choose to frequent this site. It amazes me the attitude people have about this. I almost wonder if people have some nefarious reason for not wanting to give their real name. Are you a fugitive? I don't see the big issue.

as per your previous statement in another forum post, you do take yourself way too seriously, no offense.

but since you do outrank me somewhat in seniority--despite the lack of solidarity exhibited by brothers and sisters of any trade union--i will nonetheless respect your views, regardless of whether or not i see them to be false or otherwise indicative of a forum troll.

much love nonetheless.

• Premium Member

as per your previous statement in another forum post, you do take yourself way too seriously, no offense.

but since you do outrank me somewhat in seniority--despite the lack of solidarity exhibited by brothers and sisters of any trade union--i will nonetheless respect your views, regardless of whether or not i see them to be false or otherwise indicative of a forum troll.

much love nonetheless.

The disrespectful sarcasm is why I'll remember your name and why it's important these websites insist posting our real names.

The disrespectful sarcasm is why I'll remember your name and why it's important these websites insist posting our real names.

It's not intentional antagonism. I think free speech is granted anywhere in the U.S. People ask questions on forums, and even if it doesn't take place all the time, i think people would enjoy simple answers, they don't expect some lecture about how you should include a copy of your drivers lisc and social security card on a random internet forum because the forum users feel threatened by the anonymity of the internet.

you won't go far with that paper thin skin of yours. i'm just saying. you take it as disrespect because you're insecure.

why can't everyone just get along?

am i being too abrasive here?

• Premium Member

Ira, let's start over. Fact is, I don't give two sh*ts whether you use your real name or not. But Tim Tyler, the founder of this site, is a really awesome fellow who allows us all to say more than any other forum of this type I have been on. One of the few things he does insist on is that we use our real name. He feels it holds us accountable for our words. Your reply and much of what I say (along with Keith and Chris) proves that his method doesn't always work out the way intended because most of us still mouth off from time to time.

It does have a positive benefit though. It allows us to connect with people who we want to work with and know them beyond the "Cameraman1522" or whatevver Adrian said. I have yet to work with anyone on this forum but I still really want to. Even some of the people I've argued with, I would love to work with. Talking big on here means nothing because truth be told, we'd meet, have a beer, and a few laughs and might even work together on a project.

I don't know if you are aware of dvxuser and reduser, but those sites are the worst example of anonymous forums that I have ever seen. One trip over there and you realize how well Tim's site here actually behaves.

• Upvote 2

Ira, let's start over. Fact is, I don't give two sh*ts whether you use your real name or not. But Tim Tyler, the founder of this site, is a really awesome fellow who allows us all to say more than any other forum of this type I have been on. One of the few things he does insist on is that we use our real name. He feels it holds us accountable for our words. Your reply and much of what I say (along with Keith and Chris) proves that his method doesn't always work out the way intended because most of us still mouth off from time to time.

It does have a positive benefit though. It allows us to connect with people who we want to work with and know them beyond the "Cameraman1522" or whatevver Adrian said. I have yet to work with anyone on this forum but I still really want to. Even some of the people I've argued with, I would love to work with. Talking big on here means nothing because truth be told, we'd meet, have a beer, and a few laughs and might even work together on a project.

I don't know if you are aware of dvxuser and reduser, but those sites are the worst example of anonymous forums that I have ever seen. One trip over there and you realize how well Tim's site here actually behaves.

my boss told me to check this site out, so i'm here.

in any case, im not here to argue with you brother, so i see your viewpoints, let's discuss productive topics =)

Ira Goldman said: "I can understand the need for transparency when it comes to the identity of people on these forums, especially when the guilds are paying close attention to what is being said, and how people are discussing their work, but to enforce it, i find it hard to believe that the forum moderators would spend all this time in doing so, especially for such a needless imposition on people who are doing nothing "disrespectful" but asking harmless questions on legitimate topics, unless that person on the message board was causing problems."

I should say I'm not a moderator, I'm just doing the same as many other members do and reminding new people that this particular forum has a rule about using real names. As mentioned CML has this rule (and is much tougher about enforcing the rules), DVinfo and REDUser also have a similar rule. You can say quite a few things in this forum that you aren't allowed in other forums, so there is quite a lot of freedom here.

• Upvote 1