Our jobs are now ended

• Premium Member

The cheapening of it-- by putting it all in such a box. Similar to how instagram effected photographers, or so I'm told by articles I read and blogs which bemoan it. Basically, I'm just personally dreading the day where people ask for the film to look like they shot it on instagram.

Guest Christopher Sheneman

The cheapening of it-- by putting it all in such a box. Similar to how instagram effected photographers, or so I'm told by articles I read and blogs which bemoan it. Basically, I'm just personally dreading the day where people ask for the film to look like they shot it on instagram.

It's not "cheapening" it. It's "democractizing" it.

The only reason cinematography exist is because the technology was too difficult for the average joe's to understand and operate.

It's what I think about the video clerks at the few remaining DVD rental stores in town- "A box can do your job".

• Premium Member

It is certainly removing, or at least appearing to remove, the lays of mystery which surrounded it. I am still, personally, uncertain if this is a good thing or not. However, I will say that I have noticed the more democratic the media gets, it seems, the less thought is put into it on the whole. There are of course always those who expand and push and utilize the "new" in interesting ways... but they are very quickly drowned out by the everyone who got the new doo-dad.

I think you'll be fine Adrian. It's like all the RED supporters who insisted that the only thing separating them from Hollywood glory was their inability to buy 35mm film stock. But with a RED they leveled the playing field. Of course this, shockingly, turned out to be false.

I have to disagree with Christopher Sheneman's comment 100%. But I don't have time to elaborate or get into a protracted debate. In post right now. :)

R,

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/06/facebooks-video-on-instagram/

Well.. not ended.. but I have a distinct feeling this will be bad.

A freakin' 15 second web app, THAT'S what you're worried about!!?? Couple a' quick things, just because you have the tools to do something doesn't mean you have the ability to do something. Do you know have any IDEA how FEW people can actually make a film anyone would actually want to watch?

Second of all, if you have an app to stabilize your shot because you don't have the ability to figure out how to keep your shot steady, you really have no business acting as a cameraman in the first place. Chances are even if the frame is rock steady due to this app. there's a VERY good chance there's nothing in the frame worth looking at and EVEN if there IS something in the frame worth looking at, the Mise en scene sucks big green ones so badly it's a toss up whether or not to even bother wasting the 15 seconds to watch it. AND don't get me started on blow out highlights, color pallet, low,light problems and the myriad of other garbage that can vex a processional let alone a rank amateur with a cell phone camera.

Third of all, IT HAS 13 FILTERS!!! OMG!! A camera that uses filters, what will they think of next! EVERY camera I OWN has a HUGE set of filters so THIS app means you don't have to buy them, they're free with the app. BUT ONLY the ones they give you are available so when shooting your cell phone video you may have to play around with some actual filters to get the look you want. BOY THAT'S never been done before.....So what's changed? It's more available? Do you have any idea how many digital film cameras, film movie camera and web cams and still cameras capable of shooting video are out there along with how many outlets for these videos there are?

Now, let me ask you another question, how many GOOD ones are out there and I'm not talking the blooper reels where a dog tries to bite the water streaming from the hose, I'm talking about a strong, engaging narrative film that people become involved in. Not a Hell of a lot. There is a reason PROFESSIONALS are hired to make films. It's really NOT democratization because not everyone has the skill set needed to do this job so the professionals who work in the industry will ALWAYS have the edge and why not? They EARNED IT! They learned their craft and their trade and worked their asses off to get where they are. People have been saying things like the end is near because this or that camera or technique came out, but everyone seems to forget the most important ingredient in the mix. Talent. This is first and foremost, an art form from Laurence of Arabia to Movie 43. SOMEONE had to write it, cast it, light it, frame it, guide it, cut it and project it and all of those people who DID that work contributed their talents to it so quit worrying about your place in the universe, if you're up to the task, it will still be there for you.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Guest Christopher Sheneman

It's like all the RED supporters who insisted that the only thing separating them from Hollywood glory was their inability to buy 35mm film stock. But with a RED they leveled the playing field.

It's true, it has. Thank you, Richard.

• Premium Member

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/06/facebooks-video-on-instagram/

Well.. not ended.. but I have a distinct feeling this will be bad.

I don't see the problem here. That stuff's been around in consumer video cameras since 89. Cranking out a video and sending it to your grandparents and kids is a little easier now with high speed net, eliminating the need to mail a VHS, but it's still the same thing.

It's true, it has. Thank you, Richard.

I think you left out the sentence after that "Of course this, shockingly, turned out to be false"

The DV camera had to some extent done it before and Hollywood has used various cameras over the years. Once one barrier goes down another will appear, because there has to be a means of filtering an ever increasing mass of new material.without investing too much time. You need to have something to make your film stand out from the crowd.

Once one barrier goes down another will appear, because there has to be a means of filtering an ever increasing mass of new material.without investing too much time. You need to have something to make your film stand out from the crowd.

That something is called Talent. Happily, this has proved extremely resistant to democratization.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I don't think Instagram affected any photographers.

If they are using user's holiday pictures for free in ads and such (I have understood their licensing allows that) , THEN it surely affects stock photographers... otherways, surely not <_<

• 2 weeks later...

The sky....isn't falling.

Cheap DV cameras with low light sensitivity didn't eliminate the need for additional lighting did it? 12 and 18k HMIs are still being used on a regular basis for exteriors and 3 and 5 ton grip trucks are still seen prowling the streets of New York.

• Premium Member

..........everyone has a pencil, not everyone can be a writer....

Excellent point. As an example, just when I thought oil painting was essentially a dead and niche art catering to the midwest suburban ranch houses, comes a man Thomas Kinkaide who really brought a lot of attention to his very homey renditions of idealized classic dwellings.

The fact that the guy had personality and alcohol issues is besides the point. Every kid has a water color set, and a set of crayhons, but few move on to oils, and even fewer do it professionally. Even fewer re-inject energy and popularity into the art itself, including having a couple of movies based on his paintings.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
Guest AndreaAltgayer

No, I don't think so at all. Anyone can use an app, but an app can't give you the eye for detail, colour, lighting, composition that an experienced cinematographer has.I would challenge anyone to shoot something like "Memoirs of A Geisha" on Instagram and get the same result! And how would you do aerial cinematography on Instagram?