129 Most Beautiful Shots in Movies

• Premium Member

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton/there-will-be-scrolling?bffb&utm_term=4ldqpgp#.yxMpWx3xV

Some odd choices in the sense that I would have picked a different image from some of the movies, but they are all interesting and inspirational. I wish it were a little more spread out over cinematic history, less weighted to modern films. Perhaps I should go through my DVD and Blu-Ray collection someday and pull up my favorite 100 images...

• Premium Member

A great cinematography reference book heavily weighted toward the first 50 years is:

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Pictures-Century-European-Cinematography/dp/0810943859

I think it's a must own, I love flipping through it and imagining what these old films look like in their entirety, I've only seen a small portion of them.

• Premium Member

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton/there-will-be-scrolling?bffb&utm_term=4ldqpgp#.yxMpWx3xV

Some odd choices in the sense that I would have picked a different image from some of the movies, but they are all interesting and inspirational. I wish it were a little more spread out over cinematic history, less weighted to modern films. Perhaps I should go through my DVD and Blu-Ray collection someday and pull up my favorite 100 images...

My friend just sent this to me last night. Pretty good list, all the same.

I find the lack of Gordon Willis...disturbing. Please tell me if there actually are Gordon Willis shots that I missed.

I'm surprised you guys liked it; it seemed low-effort, to me (anyone else notice that the "Boyhood" image was in the wrong aspect ratio?).

For some reason all the 1.85 shots seem to in 2:1, except for "Boyhood" which was in 2.35. I actually watched "Boyhood" here in Event Cinemas in Sydney and for some reason it was cropped to 2.35. It actually looked alright, except sometimes the vertical framing was very compromised. Edited by Leon Liang

• 9 months later...

I would love to know who compiled this list. Of course everyone is going to have different opinions, but some of the picks were....unworthy of being there. Shawn of the dead, what's so spectacular about that?? Lost in translation?? The Wrestler?? The first 30 or so. I buy, but then it starts to be.... so what? what is so special? David, some of your shots on Northfork deserve to be there. You were correct that a different shot of certain movies might have been a better choice.

Just bothered to have another look at this list.. and yes have to say.. some very odd choices.. some very nondescript shots.. from good films mostly.. I know its a personal choice.. but some are a very odd choice.. you could randomly hit pause on those films and probably get a better shot..

Didnt see any shot from The Godfather either.. or did I miss it.. that absence would render the whole list as bogus..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

Well each to their own.. but when you have a list of the best the best 129 shots from movies.. and not ONE by Gordon Willis.. something is very amiss .. thats like list of best painted ceilings but no Sistine Chapel..

Why was Gordon Willis so under rated.. no Oscar for an actual film.. it just beggars belief ...

• Premium Member

Well I think the creator of that list was picking single shots out of movies, not looking at the entire film's content.

I think Gordon Willis was underrated because his style wasn't over the top, it was very natural and realistic, not purposely flattering of the actors or sets. It's usually the stand out performances which people win awards for.

I look at Roger Deakins work... a man who should have won at least 5 oscars now and I see so many parallels with Willis.

Hi Tyler

Yes I see the single shot thing.. but still think some of those Brando shots in Godfather should have got a nod.. that was pretty ground breaking for the day and quite iconic now..

Totally agree re Roger Deakins.. and have thought the same myself.. their character seems quite similar too from what I have read.. they just do the job without alot of fuss and go home..