Best TV shows you are watching

Deadpool is pretty good. I just laughed so much. As did my 12 year old daughter.

I don't know how Batman Vs Superman will fare. Whatever the merits of the actual film I'm sure the film is mistitled. Unless Batman is carrying around some kryptonite in his utility belt Superman could demolish him in nanoseconds. Even then he could just stand at a distance and use his laser beam eyes to turn Batman into bat atoms.

I assume, of course, that it's not actually a UFC match between the two, but how each deals, in their own way, with some common problem.

C

Edited by Carl Looper

Desperate scripting? You obviously haven't read Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, and there is a very logical reason (but ya know, gotta watch the movie) for the reason they're "fighting" each other. See Robin, be sure you know what you're talking about before saying something like that. Anyway, the film has Argo's Chris Terrio writing it, Ben Affleck as Batman (who after being derided by so many is, funny enough and predictably so, lauded as probably the best Batman/Bruce Wayne), Zack Snyder directing. Ben Affleck is slated to direct and write a solo Batman film after that, Justice League is shooting this April.

This is not clutching at straws, it's not because Marvel did it before, that anything DC tries next is an affront or not valuable in comparison. Anyway, this ain't the thread to discuss comic book films, you don't like them much, we get it, no need to deride the superhero genre.

I've been watching a couple of oddish comedy shows.

The grinder. Not sure how to describe it. Pretended, as if, parody...? Rob low plays actor playing famous soap lawyer the Grinder. The actor that Low is playing can't separate self from role, and neither can his lawyer firm family, so the fun happens. Low can almost pull off anything. Remember him in Californication?

Baskets. Central character is a wanabe clown who wants depth but ends up working the rodeo. It's sort of absurdly and self flagelatingly pathetic. We do feel for this guy. We'll see.

Vikings is back up and may be good.

I'm watching Shades of Blue. Quite a good watch. Mayby I mentioned it before Jen Lopez an Ray Lolita (excuse spelling). really good character deliveries and emotional content anyway.

Colony is quite good.

Anyone watching these?

I saw the Heavy Water War last night. Actually binge watched 5 episodes. It's related to the Heroes of Telemark story, and is a Norwegian production. The language changes a lot so the subtitles are hard to deal with, and there's too much handheld camera for my taste. But a dmn good story and nicely done.

• 2 weeks later...

Bosch is back up with S02. I was afraid that it would dissapear after S01. I really like it. In an overpopulated genre they stand out. Bosch sort of has tone. My metaphore aluding to the lack of flab. Lots of interesting things and qualities are added in, where normally there is a sort of paint by numbers environment of small characters...as if wall paper.

Anyone else?

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah that's true David, forgot about it. But that's weird. I remember The Newsroom pilot being super 16, shot by Barry Ackroyd, it looked really great and they switched to Alexa for the rest, I don't get it.

He has his own Aaton .. thats why .. :)

Best thing on TV now.. Destination Flavor Scandinavia .. 6 more eps to go.. SBS :) haha

I haven't seen it yet. Have been on a big job the last few weeks. The "mrs" has been watching it and reports it's very good. :)

Episode One is here - but I don't know if the entire series will be available online:

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/programs/destination-flavour-scandinavia

C

Thanks Carl.. I wasn't being serious of course .. last thing I watched was Narco,s.. waiting for season 2 !

I've been getting into Vikings and Outlander. Tried Narcos for a bit but got a bit bored.

Ive never really got into the Swords and Sandals stuff myself.. just love Netflix though.. only recently started up where i live and its a real godsend.. as the local offering are pretty low quality.. I just did a shoot for netflix (even their corps are 4K) .. .. could be the last after my free "advise" as to how they can improve even more i.e. .. put on what I want to see.. :)

• 1 month later...

Somebody mentioned the French show Gomorrah previously. At that time I looked at a trailer and didn't bite. But Just now looking at a few s01 episodes, I find the photography quite beautiful. There is a contradiction in that. How these ugly themes are expressed as beautifull. But to be fair there are uplifting themes in there as well. The struggle between the good and bad. The desire to survive the immediate conflict. The conflict between a logical approach to survival and the gratification of immediate desires. Personified as Genaro's mother (and Ciro) vs Genaro.