Best Outdoor Cinematography

Hamid Khozouie

Some of my favourites:

-"Lawrence of Arabia", "Doctor Zhivago" & "Ryan's Daughter", Freddie Young BSC.

-"Dances with Wolves", Dean Semler, ACS, ASC.

-"Apocalypse Now", Vittorio Storaro, AIC, ASC.

-"Baraka", Ron Fricke.

-"The Thin Red Line", John Toll, ASC.

-"Ran", Asakazu Nakai.

Ahh, the great outdoors. No set can match the beauty and poetry of mother earth.

Loved "RAN", "LAWRENCE", "BARAKA", "APOCALYPSE NOW" as mentioned before. A few more:

"McCABE & MRS.MILLER" -Vilmos Zsigmond: incredible use of flashing, a totally unique look.

"THE SEARCHERS" -Winton C. Hoch: Monument Valley, John Wayne on a horse, what else can you say?

"THE WILD BUNCH" -Lucien Ballard: great skies, death as ballet.

"PREDATOR" -Donald McAlpine: incredible jungle textures, green jungle, red blood.

"THE BLACK STALLION" -Caleb Deschanel: fantastic visual storytelling.

"BARRY LYNDON" -John Alcott: not entirely "outdoors", but sumptuous, painterly landscapes, and nice use of zooms (normally considered an amateur move)

Raffi

In no particular order:

"Baraka" (although I'm not sure that much of it is lit since it's a non-fiction film).

"Never Cry Wolf" Hiro Narita ASC (probably the best wilderness movie survival not seen by many people).

"Derzu Uzala" directed by Akira Kurosawa (one of his bests, sadly little seen by anyone but the most devout fans).

"Border Incident" and "Devil's Doorway" John Alton ASC (cinema's greatest noir cinematographer shot some westerns late in his career. The best day for night photography I've ever seen).

"O Brother, Where Art Thou?" Roger Deakins ASC, BSC (sumptuous colors thanks to a carefully used DI)

"Cool Hand Luke" and "Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid" Conrad L. Hall ASC (you've seen them, what more is there to say)

?The Fellowship of The Ring? Andrew Lesnie ACS (my favorite of the trilogy, although there?s great work throughout).

J

• 3 weeks later...
WALKABOUT- Nic Roeg/Tony Richmond

Very exciting location work.

Have to agree, I'd forgotten how good until I rented the DVD recently...

Wow this is a broad category.

I second "The Thin Red Line" not because it's beautiful per se but because the moves make the camera some kind of primeval observer amidst the madness of war. These two really need the big screen......

A few that might not get mentioned:

Recently, Li Ping-bin for Hou's "The Puppetmaster" and "Good Men, Good Women"

Speaking of Iran, Kiarostami's "The Wind Will Carry Us" (Mahmoud Kalari ?)

Classicaly way too many to mention but Tisse on Eisenstein's unfinished "Que Viva Mexico"

-Sam

It's hard for me to answer such a question because I can't separate the cinematography from the film itself. I have too much of a writer/director mentality to simply be satisfied with nice images. I'm sure the exteriors in Sahara were nice, but I wouldn't see that film for money.

Some favorite films with lots of rich outdoor cinematography:

Zabriskie Point

The Cow

Sword of Doom

Why Has Bodhi Dharma Left For the East

Stalker

Voyage to Cythera

29 Palms

El Topo

Thanks.

Aguirre: Wrath of God

Stalker

Ran

Badlands

Deerhunter

This is pointless because there are so many. Just as pointless as the "Most influential cinematographer" thread. I mean Billy Bitzer (DW Griffith's) cameraman was there at the beginning and seriously innovating on a daily basis.

off the top of my head, I'd like to add to a great list:

A Walk in the Clouds.

Just beautiful.

Tucker

again beauty all the way.

And Black Hawk Down.

from a gritty, get your hands dirty, point of view.

It has already been mentioned, but I got a chance to see Lawrence of Arabia at the Ziegfeld in NY when it was restored in the early 90's. It was nothing less than spectacular. Films like that are simply not made for television. This list could go on and on....

Tim

For me the films of David Lean come first. Then some of the eearly Clint Eastwood Classics.

The first film I ever saw was The Good Bad and the Ugly. My father called me blondie after that.

Merchant Ivory films are also a must.