gimbal bounce and bobbing may be resolved

Andrew Conrad

• Premium Member

Cheaper to buy a Ronin then hire a steadycam op for a few days.

Also there are things a Ronin can do a steadycam can't, such as hand-offs and the like-- though I think the reality is economic. Steadycam and a good op is substantially better, IMHO than a Ronin.

• Premium Member

Steadicam's are SOOOO cheap today. You can get the Chinese knock-off's for around $2500 bux. I mean, someday when I get an URSA Mini, I may invest in one because that would be a pretty sweet rig! If only people paid money for freelance cinematographers! LOL :P

Found this on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/945915292/epic-4-axis-jockey-for-your-ronin-and-new-4-axis-m

They seem to think they've solved the gimbal bouncing issue.

Thoughts?

Wow do you really have an Engineer involved in the design? Like a Mechanical Engineer, a licensed P.E. or similar degreed Engineer?

Funny how this is you first post here and you found....something stinks.

Edited by JD Hartman

• Premium Member

Sure, but you're paying for the operator, not the rig, really. And I would 100% not trust a chinese knockoff steadicam or an operator who flew one, with anything but the most easily replaced rental cameras.

Tru, but if you owned it/operated it and took the "made in china" stickers off, it might not be that bad. ;)

Tru, but if you owned it/operated it and took the "made in china" stickers off, it might not be that bad. ;)

....and fixed all the places they took shortcuts in materials and manufacturing, you might have something acceptable. Or you could, "Just say No!" to knockoffs and products that rely on stolen design and engineering.

Edited by JD Hartman

• Premium Member

I think when you're just starting out as a Steadicam operator you should use whatever you can get your hands on to learn. But eventually most upgrade to a full-size Steadicam brand rig. It takes years of hard work to become a good operator, it's not something you can just pick up and be competent at right away.

As far as trusting an operator's brand of rig, it really all comes down to liability and CYA in my opinion. I've seen all kinds of rigs work properly and have mechanical failures on set, including full size Steadicam rigs. But no one's ever been fired for for buying IBM stock, if you know what I mean. ;)

Just saw that Sachtler has a new gimbal system called the Artemis Maxima 30, priced about the same as a Movi M10. It looks really good actually. Would be interested in trying it out.

• Premium Member
"Just say No!" to knockoffs and products that rely on stolen design and engineering.

One of the most popular high-end, US-made Steadicam-style stabilisers of the last couple of decades was, broadly, a clone. Let's not make it only wrong when the Chinese do it.

P

One of the most popular high-end, US-made Steadicam-style stabilisers of the last couple of decades was, broadly, a clone. Let's not make it only wrong when the Chinese do it.

P

Did it violate patents? Was it a copy down to the last nut and bolt, reverse engineered or merely similar?

Can you say specifically which two objects you are refering to? The original and the clone?

@Tyler.

I don't see how you, pointing to a probable clone, without identifying the original, as if answering for Phil, is a legitimate response to my post.

But I supose, simply dropping a URL without comment, we have no idea what you are responding to.

If an original and a clone are identified, then the conversation can be more meaningful. At least more interesting.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

I read years ago Garrett Brown.. saying he had made more money from successfully suing,or getting an out of court payoff. (cant remember specifically)..from Panavsion ..when they came out with Panaglide .. than he had from steady cam..

Edited by Robin R Probyn