Midnight Rider was in the news again?

JD Hartman

Also railway tracks are really f***** dangerous. Please stay well away from them.

Never walk on them.

But, as a young art student I fondly remember wandering along the rail line that penetrates suburban Christhurch, New Zealand, taking stills. It wasn't far from where I lived. It seemed a wonderfull, otherworldly corridoor. I felt completely safe. One could hear and feel the trains from a long way off. So I don't think that reactions such as "never walk on them" make any sense. Safety or danger comes from the particulars, the context, the circumstances.

But, as a young art student I fondly remember wandering along the rail line that penetrates suburban Christhurch, New Zealand, taking stills. It wasn't far from where I lived. It seemed a wonderfull, otherworldly corridoor. I felt completely safe. One could hear and feel the trains from a long way off. So I don't think that reactions such as "never walk on them" make any sense. Safety or danger comes from the particulars, the context, the circumstances.

I disagree but then it's all taken a lot more seriously here. The day before yesterday my day was ruined because someone trespassed onto the tracks. They shut down all the trains on that line for over an hour. I had to stand on a freezing cold platform all that time with only a rail replacement bus service to look forward to when the trains started up again.

I feel live tracks are always dangerous and you shouldn't be near them. Trains move very fast. You may have seconds to get out the way.

• Premium Member

There is a significant degree of variation in how seriously it's taken. In the US, many tracks are unfenced and one might reasonably cross over them, taking reasonable care, of course. In the UK, it's all fenced and only in extremely rare circumstances - deep in the countryside - are there gates for completely unsupervised crossing.

Still, I think it would be universally accepted that taking a crew out onto a narrow trestle with nowhere to hide was absolutely insane.