My degree did get me into CTV Toronto right out of university. I even had the job title of producer and a parking space with my name on it at 25. The fact that I went to a US university separated me from the competition, I had done something unique.

Problem was....I didn't want to work in TV and I got "stuck" there for five years. Oh well.

R,

Took me 14 years of being here to do it and I'm still only doing smaller jobs.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but are you not now arguing against being in LA? After 14 years it does not seem to have benefitted you very much?

R,

• Premium Member

My degree did get me into CTV Toronto right out of university. I even had the job title of producer and a parking space with my name on it at 25. The fact that I went to a US university separated me from the competition, I had done something unique.

Problem was....I didn't want to work in TV and I got "stuck" there for five years. Oh well.

R,

But Richard, in the scope of your whole career, five years was a great training ground that paved the path for where you are today. Those first five years was your investment into your future, don't you think?

G

But Richard, in the scope of your whole career, five years was a great training ground that paved the path for where you are today. Those first five years was your investment into your future, don't you think?

G

I dunno? Many days I think I should of gutted it out as a filmmaker vs taking a cushy job with a pay cheque and benefits. Maybe I would have six features done by now instead of just four? I didn't learn a whole lot at CTV in five years. The US school I went to owned a PBS affiliate and I worked there for four years while I went to school. That was highly beneficial and a unique training ground. Then again CTV would argue....we're not here to train new college grads to do anything, you either come in and do the job or you don't work here.

BTW, Gregory we need to swap pics, now I look like the 1st AC and you look like the producer :)

R,

• Premium Member

I dunno? Many days I think I should of gutted it out as a filmmaker vs taking a cushy job with a pay cheque and benefits. Maybe I would have six features done by now instead of just four? I didn't learn a whole lot at CTV in five years. The US school I went to owned a PBS affiliate and I worked there for four years while I went to school. That was highly beneficial and a unique training ground. Then again CTV would argue....we're not here to train new college grads to do anything, you either come in and do the job or you don't work here.

BTW, Gregory we need to swap pics, now I look like the 1st AC and you look like the producer :)

R,

Ha! That's pretty funny but not true. You are the producer. What university did you go to?

What university did you go to?

I must not tell....it typically causes the internet to explode and numerous on-line fights will quickly break out. No joke, I've seen it happen.

R,

• Premium Member

I must not tell....it typically causes the internet to explode and numerous on-line fights will quickly break out. No joke, I've seen it happen.

R,

Wow! Now I've got to know! Message me.

G

• Premium Member

I'm not trying to be difficult, but are you not now arguing against being in LA? After 14 years it does not seem to have benefitted you very much?

You be difficult? HA! LOL :)

I'm just sayin' it ain't roses and unicorn's.

Actually, I spent so much time working regular jobs, I kinda forgot about making movies and stuff. I only really got back into filmmaking a few years ago and as you well know, it takes a while to ramp things up. I've got a stack of scripts both short and features. It's just a matter of fine tuning and picking which one I'm going to make first. The problem as always is... as a freelancer, I'm always dead broke! So I can't afford to even make one of my shorts. So fundraising is the only way and you know how THAT goes. So I just do what I can, make the doughnuts and on my spare time, work on my films.

I don't regret what I did at all. I've done SO MUCH living in Los Angeles, so many friggen' awesome things that a young person should be doing. If I had known about the economic down turn before it happened, if I had been smarter with my money, if I had not been out to constantly enjoy myself, things would be a lot different today. My future self's advice to my younger self would be to pursue my dreams harder and stay focused on the pie at the end of the rainbow, rather then the crumb right in front of you.

I would move to Santa Monica in a heartbeat, I love it there and have spent a lot of time there. I'd be happy to take a small apt in that building right on the beach. How much can they cost, $5, 000.00-$7, 000.00 a month?

My big concern is that I relocate to LA, so that I can communicate daily with all the LA people daily via email and phone, just like I do now. So aside from getting away from the awful Canadian weather, not sure what I would have gained?

In the rare event of a meeting, well, you're five hours away.

I have a long list of hilarious LA stories from my trips there, the Venice Beach gang war story usually gets people laughing pretty hard.

R,

How much can they cost, $5, 000.00-$7, 000.00 a month?

R,

You're not far off... Probably not quite that much, but as typical with CA and NY (or pretty much any mid-country coastal areas) - rent is astronomical. And California's minimum wage is really not 'on par' so to speak with the cost of living.

Not that one could survive on minimum wage in CA - at least unless you're living with mom and dad.

I could get a great 3 bedroom loft overlooking the riverfront right here in town for $1,100 a month. Try getting a deal like that in LA. Or anywhere in CA. NEVER underestimate the cost of coastal US living... Now if one was to move to Washington/Oregon or someway along the way of Maine you might be able to get affordable cost of living.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member

I mean; if you've seen the LA "riverfront" you might be overpaying. My 3br on the "riverfront" is about $1500/mo. it's also right "in town" in an "arts district," with "mass transit connections," Though i'm probably moving to a 2br in a nicer (for me) area for $1100/mo with utils included.

In the rare event of a meeting, well, you're five hours away.

Same here. I can get a round trip ticket to LA from Cincinnati for a flight that takes approx. 5 hours and 15 minutes. I can book that very flight right now for $398 round trip. So in theory, if I got off the phone with someone in LA that really needed a meeting, I could be there tomorrow morning.

I mean; if you've seen the LA "riverfront" you might be overpaying. My 3br on the "riverfront" is about $1500/mo. it's also right "in town" in an "arts district," with "mass transit connections," Though i'm probably moving to a 2br in a nicer (for me) area for $1100/mo with utils included.

Wait... LA HAS a river? Ohhhh... you mean the drain pipe. Sorry.

• Premium Member

I would move to Santa Monica in a heartbeat, I love it there and have spent a lot of time there. I'd be happy to take a small apt in that building right on the beach. How much can they cost, $5, 000.00-$7, 000.00 a month?

If you want a beach view, yes... If you're willing to be 1 block from the beach, around $2500/mo for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath.

My big concern is that I relocate to LA, so that I can communicate daily with all the LA people daily via email and phone, just like I do now. So aside from getting away from the awful Canadian weather, not sure what I would have gained?

Well, if you live on the west side, you won't be in too much traffic, just use Lincoln to get north and south. It's a pretty good throughway and most of the big studio's are just east, on the other side of the 405. You have no reason to live/go anywhere else if you live on the west side and work in the industry. I live in the Valley, so there is a commute involved if I work directly with the studio's. That's why my vehicle is a motorcycle, get around town in a flash since we can split lanes.

People pick on this town quite a bit, but every time I go other places, I'm always eager to head back.

• Premium Member

Not that one could survive on minimum wage in CA - at least unless you're living with mom and dad.

Most of my P.A. buddies share a shitty-ass apartment and probably pay $400 - $600/mo for living expenses. They take public transportation most of the time and eat very carefully. So sure, they aren't rich, but they aren't crazy poor either. One of them has more digital cinema equipment then I do and is already prepping his first big short film on 16mm... I'm lending him the equipment and yes, he's a bloody P.A.

I could get a great 3 bedroom loft overlooking the riverfront right here in town for $1,100 a month. Try getting a deal like that in LA. Or anywhere in CA. NEVER underestimate the cost of coastal US living... Now if one was to move to Washington/Oregon or someway along the way of Maine you might be able to get affordable cost of living.

Dude, I was living in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath loft for $1200/mo when I moved here in 2002. I then had a beautiful 3 bedroom, 2 bath 2400/sq ft house on a cul de sac in Valley Village in an upscale quiet neighborhood that was $2400 a month divided by three. Heck, even my current place blows the doors off most places I've seen in other parts of the US. Two bed, two bath, two story with 1000/sq.ft. garage/storage and 1000/sq.ft. secure garage with security cameras. Free laundry and utilities, $1650 split between two people.

Think about it a different way. There are so many decent paying jobs here, the cost of living is outweighed by the potential to earn more. If you moved to Washington/Oregon... or even Maine. Sure you'd have cheaper living, but you'd also get paid A LOT less. In those places you'd be forced to work a low-end job because there really isn't much else to do. Sure, around Seattle and Portland there are some big businesses, but they are expensive places to live. So you'd have to live in the boonies to get the rent lower and what's the point?

The only time I see the LA river it's got Arnie standing on a motorcycle, or Jack Nicholson getting his nose slit, or a blazing petrol tanker or something in it. Not so much in the way of water as they do round here.

Most of my P.A. buddies share a shitty-ass apartment and probably pay $400 - $600/mo for living expenses. They take public transportation most of the time and eat very carefully. So sure, they aren't rich, but they aren't crazy poor either. One of them has more digital cinema equipment then I do and is already prepping his first big short film on 16mm... I'm lending him the equipment and yes, he's a bloody P.A.

Well, this may well be a good option for a very young, single wanna-be filmmaker. However, this option really leaves out a certain group of people - families and married couples. I highly doubt you're going to drag your wife to a three-way roommate agreement. So this leaves these people in a weird position.

Now, if you're married and have the potential of two incomes once moved, it might help to mitigate the higher cost of living... Though this very thing also complicates a move even further, trying to relocate two jobs.

People are free to move where they like - I'll stay put in Ohio until I have a really good reason to move to LA - like I'm taking so many meetings in the industry that I cannot take them by flight. I figure once I'm at that position, I should be making the money to move there happily. If not, I'll stay in Cincinnati and make movies here.

Of course, that is just me. Other peoples best options will vary. However, I will say it once again: Never move ANYWHERE unless you have a reason to move there, and the funds to move there and support yourself until you get a job, and always fully investigate the place your planning to move. Only once you have a good reason to move somewhere should you move there.

I think a lot of filmmakers get caught up in the whole 'LA is the bomb' idea, and move out there without giving it much thought, in an attempt to pursue their unrealistic dreams. No different than theatre actors moving to New York to get their 'big break' when they haven't paid their local dues yet. They move there and find out no one cares about them, and they end up working at Applebee's and working in New Jersey community theatres - something they could have done back at home and saved a bucket load of money.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

The only time I see the LA river it's got Arnie standing on a motorcycle, or Jack Nicholson getting his nose slit, or a blazing petrol tanker or something in it. Not so much in the way of water as they do round here.

I was going to say, that is the river that is the most sought after studio back-lot location, right? The one that requires a 'jumping through hoops' permit to shoot in? I know I read that in an article somewhere just a few days ago. Don't mean to make fun of anyone's home - but you got to admit a concrete 'river' that's more known as a movie set than as a river is a little, ehhh, odd.

• Premium Member

No, no.

This part:

Up-LA-River-Part-12-Sepulveda-Dam-1.jpg

Oh, and, er, I got a degree in "multimedia systems", which in 1999 meant web design. Having graduated directly into the dotcom crash, this was plan B, if you can believe it.

Well, a degree in Anthropology is probably as worthless a film degree. A usable degree is a degree in an expanding field like education, science, and business.

That's very vague! What kind of science? My brother has a degree in Physics. Absolutely fr***** useless. I mean what are you supposed to do with Physics? Work in the military? The nuclear power industry maybe?

He got a lot of bad advice growing up from people who told him that science would bring him a good future!

lol!

Freya

Eventually I came out with a salable trade of computer programming by way of the Math dept.

So my advice to the young person is come out of whatever 'college' with a salable trade... and anything in art is not in such a class... unless of course one wants to end up teaching Kindergarten thru 12th grade or perhaps Junior College if one gets an MA in Fine Arts or the like (MA being a general requirement for teaching at a junior college in many places...).

Many of my peers who stayed in the Art dept. ended up in 'social services' where at the time an BA/MA in almost anything qualified for application for the job... In the early 80s there were many psych/social science majors who jumped ship for programming as well...

These days I'm not sure how useful computer programming would be.

In the early 80's I'm sure it was fantastic but I would have still been in school then. By the 90's the internet was starting to shake things up and work started to be outsourced to other places and these days in the UK there is not that much demand for software developers anymore. What work there is doesn't seem to be especially well paid. Maybe it is different in the states.

Obviously female software developers are especially unwelcome these days which doesn't help my personal situation!

In fact lately I've even run into women who were driven out of post production jobs and can't talk about the experience without bursting into tears. Anything involving a computer is bad news as guys consider it their territory these days. A big change from the days when there were a lot of female computer programmers because it was that thing in the corner with the keyboard! ;)

Anyway the thing is that for anyone making choices it's really hard to know what the world is going to be like by the time you leave university because things keep changing. I imagine business and marketing stuff might hold up well but honestly who knows.

A lot of advice that young people get is from people whose experience is very out of date, even worse from people in academia who don't really know much about the real world. School leavers getting advice on the world of work from people who never left school! ;)

• Premium Member

Obviously female software developers are especially unwelcome these days which doesn't help my personal situation!

I dunno, I've worked with a few. Nobody seemed to care.

Often, the (on average) superior female ability to hold more than one train of thought simultaneously is probably helpful.

P