How did they do this awesome shimmer light? kpop video

K-pop videos are pretty impressive. In this video, theres a scene in a studio with gravel ground, black background, dance scene with the girls, and they have this shimmering top light and I can't figure out how they did this. It's almost like they shined the light through water? or maybe bouncing the light from water to give the shimmer. But how do you do that above the dancers? Maybe there's multiple lights above them moving fast? or maybe the lights are on some DMX system for the effect? Sometimes the camera goes out really wide, so the lights have to be pretty high (unless they were painted out). Anybody know how they did this? It's pretty awesome.

Start watching at 00:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNLELuDjHNA

I couldn't find a behind the scenes.

the light effect has regular pattern so it is definitely dmx fixtures. I'm not a expert of stage lighting but multiple gobos could do the job I think. It's lots of rotating light patterns moving around

DMX has noting to do with the lighting effect, dmx is a control signal. It could be as simple as as two gobos in a gobo rotator installed on a leko.

• Premium Member

I just yesterday delivered some stuff to be played back on Robe MiniMe lights, which are essentially video projectors mounted on a pan-and-tilt mount. Since it's static, the effect you mention might also be done simply using a video projector.

Or, you know, just a big light, a tray of water, and a couple of mirrors. Dafter things have been done.

I'd also almost believe it was more conventional lighting with some sort of breakup optical effect in it. Some intelligent lights have gobo wheels and into those gobo wheels you can mount various bits of distorted glassware to create effects akin to that. But I suspect it's a bit too complex for that.

P

• Premium Member

Yes, although to be fair you can just go down to your local glass place and see what bits of wibbly glass they have in the offcuts bin.

Yes, yes, I know, this won't work because it isn't expensive enough, but once you've tried it in private to ensure it won't crack or melt, you're fine.

Roger,

Look at renting equipment from a DJ company or live event production company. American DJ (adj.com) makes LED lighting equipment with this effect built in. I'm sure if you contact them they can recommend what you need to rent. Generally it's pretty cheap.

Being in Atlanta I imagine you should have plenty of live event and club DJ vendors to rent from.

S.

Yes, although to be fair you can just go down to your local glass place and see what bits of wibbly glass they have in the offcuts bin.

Yes, yes, I know, this won't work because it isn't expensive enough, but once you've tried it in private to ensure it won't crack or melt, you're fine.

Well don't forget it needs to be the right size and shape to fit in the gobo rotator and cutting glass like that can be difficult.

I was actually thinking that if you could find dichronic glass of the right diameter then you might be able to etch the patterns in with a dremal tool. It's more difficult when it's the mixed colour glass of course.

Edited by Freya Black

• Premium Member

You can also just dribble superglue onto an optical flat, although that doesn't deal completely perfectly with heat. Or, you can crush up some pieces of glass and put them on the flat, and put it in a kiln. Or, melt and distort a piece of glass with a gas flame. Many options!

• Premium Member

PRODUCER
We need a rippling water effect!

PHIL
Fine. We'll need a Rosco gobo projector.

PRODUCER
How much will that cost?

PHIL
About £100.

PRODUCER
...no.

PHIL
Well, I guess we'll have to go without, then.

PRODUCER
My friend said he could do it for £3.

PHIL
I'll be in the shed.

100 pounds to rent? Somehow I doubt it. Tell me what kind of glass shop will have the type of glass that won't grenade in the heat of the gobo slot? What will it cost to replace the Leko and lens barrel when it does?

• Premium Member

It doesn't matter what it costs to rent, the answer is no. The answer is always no. The answer to a stand is no. We've had this conversation before.

You live on Mars. I shall draw some antennae on your profile shot!

• Premium Member

Tell me what kind of glass shop will have the type of glass that won't grenade in the heat of the gobo slot?

good quality borosilicate glass. should not be that difficult to obtain. laboratory glassware could also do if you can find it in usable shape, for example borosilicate petri dishes etc.

there is also lots of custom lab glassware companies and optical companies which could do anything from the boro glass, for example round discs which would be similar size to cd:s , etc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have no idea how I bumped onto this, but it kind of reminded me of the K-pop video above: how did they achieve the effect appearing at 1:43 and what creates those light beams (there’s a better word for it, but I can’t remember right now) for the scenes at the cinema:

The video looks like a copy of Mariah Carey’s Heartbreaker.