Against The Wild II: Launch Day!

• Premium Member

Congratulations Richard!!

I will try to see if I can watch it from any of those websites that you put on the first page when I get home on Monday!

Have a lovely day!

Good question? Not sure if I can release the names of the two now or not. But they are both over-air broadcasters, one goes, then the other goes. Many of the rules on broadcasters fees and deals are being re-written in this climate, it's changing every six months.

R,

That's really interesting! So one channel has second run rights??

That is kind of a new idea. Did you negotiate that yourself or through your agent?

Seems like quite a thing to pull off.

• Premium Member

Many of the things Richard has pulled off are quite a thing to pull off. I wonder, not for the first time, what he isn't telling us.

With a history of successful productions, things will be different. But before that, on the first and second productions, distributors simply do not buy films. Without the attachment of a major production company or some sort of inside deal, these films cannot be sold. I say this not to question Richard so much as to make it clear to any wannabes reading this thread that what he's pulled off is practically unheard of, and should not be used as evidence that there's any market whatsoever for small, independent film. There isn't.

In short, I don't know what he's done, but he's done something.

P

Many of the things Richard has pulled off are quite a thing to pull off. I wonder, not for the first time, what he isn't telling us.

With a history of successful productions, things will be different. But before that, on the first and second productions, distributors simply do not buy films. Without the attachment of a major production company or some sort of inside deal, these films cannot be sold. I say this not to question Richard so much as to make it clear to any wannabes reading this thread that what he's pulled off is practically unheard of, and should not be used as evidence that there's any market whatsoever for small, independent film. There isn't.

P

That's not true Phil. I know people in the UK who have sold films and others who have turned down offers to buy films and it was their first production.

However you talk about it in a weird way when you say "films" like you just mean any old feature. There is no market for any old feature and most people make a movie without any real idea about what is going to happen to it at the end of the process.

I'm sure there are a ton of things Richard isn't telling us because he would be here all day writing essays but the big thing that Richard has that he isn't telling you because he doesn't think anything of it, is that he has really good sales and negotiating ability. That is not a minor skill to have.

We are talking about the direct to DVD market here which has a much lower barrier to entry than theatrical.

One problem that a lot of people in the UK run into is that they make the movie too expensive and then aren't in a position to sell it. I see that time and time again. Sometimes they make really strange mistakes with the movie itself too.

Freya

I wasn't coming at it from that point of view. Richard had the backing of Canal + on this movie so that will help when it comes to selling to TV as that brings quite a bit of status but it's usual for a movie to appear on only one channel unless it is something huge and even then I don't think it's common to sell multiple release tiers at the same time in quite this way but then I don't know the details on the channels.

Interesting turn of events for sure.

That's really interesting! So one channel has second run rights??

That is kind of a new idea. Did you negotiate that yourself or through your agent?

Seems like quite a thing to pull off.

International distributor does all that.

R,

Just curious, is the budget displayed on IMDB a close estimation? People tell me those are BS all the time, figured I could get a solid answer here.

Thanks.

Actually at today's exchange rate 20M ZAR is too low!! :)

R,

We are talking about the direct to DVD market here which has a much lower barrier to entry than theatrical.

Nope, Against The Wild 2 had a US theatrical run. Feb 26th to May 6th.

If you think it's easy to get a US theatre chain to take out a Hollywood studio film and put a small family film in its place, think again. I certainly would not call it a "lower barrier to entry." It's very difficult and very very expensive. And yet....I did it. Examples....

R,

post-4653-0-12850000-1463152702_thumb.jpg

post-4653-0-02395500-1463152747_thumb.jpg

P

I really don't know what to tell you Phil? Sometimes people make a quality product outside of the studios and the market responds. It's not as hard as you might think, when was the last Hollywood studio film to win the Academy Award for best picture? It's been so long I can't even think of what it might be, it's the independents that shine through here.

Also, these movies are not just being made and the sold after the fact. Distribution companies put up sales contracts, the bank interim finances those contracts, the movie is then shot and delivered, distribution company pays out bank loan. This is how a huge number of independent films are made every year. I know because I know I am not the ONLY producer the film finance division of RBC works with, they interim finance dozens of movies a year.

Also, CDN producers do not need to have 100% equity for a movie they shoot. Canada has over a dozen equity programs for film, and I have accessed a few of them on all of my productions. When people see all those government logos go by at the end of one of my films, I am not putting those on there for the good of my health.

R,

You work very hard on your films, Richard, so give yourself some credit!

Yes, thank-you David. Not sure why Phil continues to see a conspiracy theory around every corner?

R,

I think Phil was playing you a compliment for figuring out a complex system -- you just make it look easy.

Ok. let's run with that then. :)

R,

• Premium Member
It's not as hard as you might think

I think it's pretty hard.

Distribution companies do not purchase films from small, independent producers - not ever.

I don't think it matters whether the product is of any quality or not (and I cast no doubt on the subject here), but it simply doesn't happen.

The point is that nobody should leap to produce features on the basis that the model in use here is available to anyone. It isn't.

P

• Upvote 1

The point is that nobody should leap to produce features on the basis that the model in use here is available to anyone. It isn't.

Well yeah, but this is my fourth film. If first time filmmakers ask me, how do I get pre-sales and then have the bank interim finance the deal? I tell them, well you won't have that as a FIRST time filmmaker. And I didn't either. There's a progression up the ladder, as there is in any industry.

Point is you have to start someplace. And I am never afraid to spend money as an investment into my own career.

R,

While I have never made nor sold a feature, I can assume that you're not always 100% correct, Phil. It may not be common, but you cannot say it never happens. In fact, I know several, very shoddy films that should never have left iMovie that have a descent DVD release by one of the direct-to-dvd retailers. That qualifies as distribution, if not good distribution.

I also don't think Richard is trying to make it seem easier than it is. We need to remember that this is not his first feature by any stretch, so is it really uncommon to find that he made a $2 million movie that got descent distribution? It's not like he is here mentioning how easy it is. In fact, I have never known him to sugar coat the realities of filmmaking.

I don't think too many people would take Richard as saying it's really this easy to get a film made. I certainly don't. However, it is refreshing to know that the system is not closed to all but Spielberg and the likes. Richard proves that with a good product, the right cast, an okay budget, and a certain amount of luck - you can get a movie distributed. It's been happening ever sense independent film was started. Not in any great number - no - but then again that is just the game.

Anyone who makes any film and expects its to be a breeze to get distributed is sorely mistaken, and should not make movies.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

There are of course many films from first time filmmakers that get picked up for pretty good distribution at Cannes, AFM, Berlin, etc.

Statistically.....difficult, but, it happens.

R,

• Premium Member

While I have never made nor sold a feature,

Exactly...Phil is right on. Sorry if the truth hurts. Nonetheless, I am still shooting a feature next month because it is on my bucket-list. But I realize that there is effectively zero chance of any global appeal. I will hold a local premiere but that is about it.

Richard, whom I respect immensely, has been quite vague about his rise to success as long as I can recall. He gives very generalized information and keeps everything closely guarded. I do not blame him as maybe he exploited some mechanism that could be compromised by sharing too much or maybe he has an angle that others dont so he doesnt want to ruin the perception of "rags to riches." Nonetheless, Phil is most assuredly correct that there is much not being told. Freya is also correct, I am sure, that Richard is a persuasive sort with high selling skills which is also rare and only some of us (few) are blessed with it.

I would bet my whole net worth (which isnt much these days) that Richard's rise is more than just hard work and a "can do" attitude.

Matthew,

I will respectively disagree. Richard never said it was easy, he said it wasn't impossible. Which it's not, considering there are a lot of films picked up each year at film festivals alone that came from small production companies working with several million dollar budgets. It happens, and it happens every year. Therefore, the proof is in the facts. The odds of a sub-million dollar film getting any kind of release are not very good, but once you go making million dollars films - you can employ actors with names which will attract studios. It also helps once you make a few films and have the contacts - as it appears to me Richard has done.

So no, Phil is not 100% correct, nor are you. The odds may be against you, but it's certainly not impossible with the right blend of art and business. Even you admit this much when you said he must have a certain level of salesmanship to pull it off. Just because you don't have that, does not mean that other filmmakers don't. And yes, I'd say the ability to put yourself out there is a very big advantage when trying to sell a movie.

As for Richard not 'giving away his secrets'... Does he really have too? And in reality, I think he has more than once. In fact, there was a podcast I linked to in an earlier post from the craft truck where Richard pretty plainly explained the process on his first couple of films.

I wish you luck on your film, but what makes you say it has no global appeal? If it does not, perhaps that is why you don't think it stands a chance? Maybe you should give it some appeal so it might have a chance at distribution. Why make a movie if it is not going to appeal to anyone? Seems like a waste of cash to me.

Sounds to me like some are just mad that Richard made it and they can't seem to do the same...

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member

Richard has been posting here since the time he was a stock footage shooter and making his first feature, a horror movie. I think it is rude to suggest he doesn't want to "give away" his secret to success.

I recall when I first came here about his stock shooting. I was referring to Dark Reprieve onwards. I am sorry if I somehow missed the posts where he gave detailed and pointed examples of strategies that work and help indies get distribution and success. I have only read hundreds of his posts but I may have missed him giving away the gold nuggets. I have been known to take yearly sabbaticals from this forum.