Moire

David Daniel Doherty

I assume we're talking video? For some reason in my head "fashion studio" always comes off as a stills business.

Just about any camera designed for cinematic video will be doing a better job for you over a DSLR.

https://youtu.be/weL0N_uwN8A?t=92

This video has some DSLR models side by side with more "filmic" models. You'll be able to see the difference from left to right.

• Premium Member

Moire is generally a consequence of cameras without an optical low pass filter. This is a device that smoothens out the pixels which are smaller then the imagers. Both aliasing and Moire come from the same issue.

Edit: Unfortunately, I don't know if any video cameras in your price range that ship with OLPF's. However, there are some companies making aftermarket plugin adaptors for some cameras, which help reduce moire and aliasing. http://www.mosaicengineering.com/

Moire is directly related to image sharpness. You can attain "softness" through glass if you so prefer. I rarely see Moire issues on my Blackmagic Pocket camera's, mainly because I don't use high end glass, so the image is already "softer" then it would be with a higher end piece of glass. Really modern/crisp glass can exaggerate moire and aliasing issues on pretty much any camera.

I believe there are screw-on filters which help these issues, though I'm not sure how well they function. Now that you know the problem, you can do some research.

• Premium Member

Unfortunately, camera manufacturers don't ship with OLPF's because it softens the image too much.

Well, hang on, most of 'em do. The problem comes when people shoot video on DSLRs, where the OLPF was designed to operate at the native resolution of the sensor, but when the DSLR itself is using only a subset of the pixels on it.

P

• Premium Member

Well, hang on, most of 'em do. The problem comes when people shoot video on DSLRs, where the OLPF was designed to operate at the native resolution of the sensor, but when the DSLR itself is using only a subset of the pixels on it.

I fixed my statement. I was referring to "video" cameras in his price range. Sorry bout that.

DSLR's don't really count as they're not video cameras.

It might be just above your budget.. but maybe a sony Fs5.. ?.. I think this is one of the cheapest "real video" camera,s.. second hand Fs7... if such a thing exists .. :).. Im not a fan due to the shape.. but if your on sticks most of the time.. the C300,s are now very cheap.. and look very nice without much.. or well any tweaking ..

For example GH4 (only with UHD and 4K settings) and 5Dmk3 don't have perceptible moire in video mode when used with right settings. you may be happier with a real video camera though and the look may be nicer but they also cost more.

I favor video form factors strictly for the ergonomics and button placement. Feels like I'm manning the mothership as opposed to a DSLR lol.