Arri SR2- Working?

Scott Pickering

• Premium Member

yes daylight spools can be used on the feed side as long as the arm is locked out of the way.

leaving the arm to the normal position when using daylight spools would cause screeching sound and probably damage the roller arm.

on takeup side it is NOT possible to use daylight spools because of the mag design even if you would have a adapter for fitting them there (the film would not wound up to the spool correctly without the roller arm so you would jam the magazine if trying)

on takeup side it is NOT possible to use daylight spools because of the mag design even if you would have a adapter for fitting them there (the film would not wound up to the spool correctly without the roller arm so you would jam the magazine if trying)

....yes you can Aapo, and I have done so many times.

There's nothing to stop you using daylight spools on the take up side as long as the tension roller arm is locked out of the way.

( SR magazines will also take 200 ft daylight reels ).

John S ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Guys got the camera working with a new battery and its pushing film through. My only issue now is I can't get an image through the viewfinder, even when I rotate the mirror. I confirmed the lens is letting through light. There is a video assist on the opposite side, so Im not sure that is interfering with the viewfinder? What can I try to get an image? I can't focus or shoot anything if I can't see what Im looking at. Nothing is in the SR2 manual with this issue.

Edited by Scott Pickering

• Premium Member

If the camera was recently serviced surely the technician would have noticed the viewfinder wasn't working? Have you asked them about it?

Does the camera have a T-bar viewfinder elbow (one arm to viewfinder, the other to video assist)? It's been many years since I worked on one, but there could be a prism or mirror at the T junction that doesn't split the light but sends it all to one side or the other. Maybe you need to turn it so the light goes to the v/f rather than the video assist?

The camera has a dual outlet bar, one for each side, with the center holding both ends. I don't see any switch that would direct light. I have read video assists can lessen light, but the viewfinder is completely black. I don't see light coming through to the mirror either when I shine light through the viewfinder. So somewhere the light it being blocked. How I don't know. I don't see anyway of turning the t bar. It seems to be in place without movement.

I did email Bernie about this. Funny he never mentioned anything about it before.

• Premium Member

Photos would help.

Some T bars had a rotating knob at the front that switched the 70/30 prism to give more light to the video or to the viewfinder, in between settings it would block all the light while the prism was turning. If yours doesn't have that you may need to open it up to access the mirror/prism.

Scott, just confirm that the eyepiece iris is open. I think the manual one was just a little "lever" just ahead of the eyecup. Automatic one just needs pressure on the eyecup. Also, if you aren't used to looking through optical finders, wiggle your eye position on the cup around a tiny bit to make sure your pupil is in the right place....

Bernie from Super 16 suggested to try and rotate the ring behind the viewfinder. There are two rings. See picture. Tried both but didnt see any change. The settings on this camera seemed to be so messed up from me figuring this out, that one thing seems to be affecting the next. So I can't confirm proper operation of the viewfinder.

• Premium Member

"Ring behind the viewfinder" is a very vague description, sounds like the ring that locks the whole T-bar onto the camera, but I wouldn't remove the whole thing just yet. The rings in photo 2 are for the eyepiece, the one just behind the eyecup adjusts the diopter for focussing on the groundglass, the one with arrows tightens the diopter adjustment in place and the one behind that locks the eyepiece on to the viewfinder. You have checked the eyepiece iris as Gregg mentioned, right? There is a light baffle in there that prevents light from entering the viewfinder and fogging the film. Some eyepieces needed pressure on the eyecup to open.

Otherwise, the 30/70 prism is located in the square block section right in the middle of the viewfinder, it takes the light from the camera and splits it left and right. At the front side of this section there can be a rotating knob. Hard to see from your photo but is there a round plate there that can be removed?