Clapperboard MOS workflow tips for editing 16mm timeline

Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

...so you shoot your film send it to the lab and you get your 2 reels of 400ft back scanned (Telecine HD or 2k etc) into this one video file (with no sound obviously).....

.....how would you use a clapperboard to help your workflow on an MOS timeline?

The only thing I can think of is for faster scene identification...i.e. you visually see from the appearance of one clapperboard to the other that you shot xxxx scene in that time so you can produce your cuts based on your script

any advice on the 16mm to scanned film edit workflow welcome!

You use the clapperboard to ID the MOS scene, usually it's just a short burst to get the board and the shot itself is filmed separately in order to avoid wasting film.

You can then enter the details into your NlE's database, so that you can find the scene in your content management/bins/library or whatever term your NLE uses for the system of collecting and accessing the media for your project.

Chances are you won't see the clapperboard on your timeline after the earliest stages of the edit, you'll have taken it out, but the scene & take numbers should be there if you've correctly logged your rushes.

• Premium Member

thanks for taking the time...I don't understand what you mean by the following....filmed separately??? i only have the one camera with the film on it...perhaps take digital at the some time to catalogue stuff ?

....usually it's just a short burst to get the board and the shot itself is filmed separately in order to avoid wasting film.

Edited by Stephen Perera

thanks for taking the time...I don't understand what you mean by the following....filmed separately??? i only have the one camera with the film on it...perhaps take digital at the some time to catalogue stuff ?

SHoot a few feet of the slate with the slate number.

Stop the camera.

Shoot the scene.

It's MOS so the camera doesn't have to keep running between slate and scene. You save some film.

• Premium Member

Yea I usually just turn the camera on and off right away. As long as you got the slate, you're all good.

What's written on the slate doesn't really change from MOS to sync sound either.

- Title

- Reel/Roll number

- Scene

- Shot

- Take

- Director

- Cinematographer

- Date of production

- Int/Ext

- Day/Night

- MOS/Sound

Them's be what yee writes on a slate.