Oscar announcement

Robin R Probyn

Dear Members of the Academy and the great unwashed 

Here is a pre awards announcement .. the esteemed British "Videographer". Robin Probyn.. BSV...   has bought a Sony fx9.. a brand new 6K FF, back lit Exmor sensor camera, that is Netflix ,Wedding and  Bar mitzvah approved .. and benefits from amazing AF.. and thus..all shots will from now on be in focus and non Sony color, due to the new S Cinetone..  he is available for hire world wide and will travel coach ,if the job is meaningful.. and /or organic..

Best regards  

Sir Trevor Fartingworth Lloyd ..   

President British Society of Videographers .. President East Burnley Pigeon Club Ret.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Robin, so not only are you in the Digital elite, you have to rub our faces in it. Sure I'd love to shoot FF digital but I'm stuck with 35mm celluloid because its all I can afford..... sure you've made it, but  have a bit of humility and send the elevator back down to us little "film-heads"

• Like 1

• Premium Member

That's great news! 

I'm shooting a documentary with it and the Supreme Primes next week and we went through a lot of testing yesterday.

There are 3 things that I don't like that I'm sure that future firmwares will correct:

1) It can't shoot 50fps in 6K Full Frame although it can shoot 50fps in 2K Full Frame.
2) That would be amazing if you could see the LUT that you have in the monitor while shooting in 50fps 2K Full Frame!!! at the moment you can only see the Slog image ?
3) It doesn't have false colour!
4) I can't load a LUT in the camera. 
5) It is quite annoying that the cebras only work if you have the handle and the mini mini monitor that comes with the camera!

Other than that is a wonderful camera!!!! We shot a lot of the tests at 16000 ASA underexposed by 2 stops and the images were gorgeous. I love the noise!

Looking forward to your impressions @Robin R Probyn!!

MDM_STILLS_1.52.2-1024x576.jpg

MDM_STILLS_1.52.1-1024x576.jpg

MDM_STILLS_1.43.2-1024x576.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miguel Angel said:

That's great news! 

I'm shooting a documentary with it and the Supreme Primes next week and we went through a lot of testing yesterday.

There are 3 things that I don't like that I'm sure that future firmwares will correct:

1) It can't shoot 50fps in 6K Full Frame although it can shoot 50fps in 2K Full Frame.
2) That would be amazing if you could see the LUT that you have in the monitor while shooting in 50fps 2K Full Frame!!! at the moment you can only see the Slog image ?
3) It doesn't have false colour!
4) I can't load a LUT in the camera. 
5) It is quite annoying that the cebras only work if you have the handle and the mini mini monitor that comes with the camera!

Other than that is a wonderful camera!!!! We shot a lot of the tests at 16000 ASA underexposed by 2 stops and the images were gorgeous. I love the noise!

Looking forward to your impressions @Robin R Probyn!!

MDM_STILLS_1.52.2-1024x576.jpg

MDM_STILLS_1.52.1-1024x576.jpg

MDM_STILLS_1.43.2-1024x576.jpg

Yes like the f5/55 it will definitely get better with FW upgrades .. V2 due "in the summer".. northern hemisphere hopefully..!

1 ..V2 will apparently have a 5K mode which will allow 50/60fps in FF .. I would avoid 2K FF for  S&Q 50/60 fps.. better to drop down to s35 scan mode..which allows 50/60 in 4K  (less sensor to read).. crop your lens and move back a bit .. but better IQ .. FF2K only for 100fps or over..

2 Find ..Gamma Display Assist setting .. ( I think shoot menu).. this is a REC709 800 MLUT.. its for the EVF only but can be applied on any Cine EI setting .. including S&Q..  but beware it is possible to have display gamma assist AND a LUT applied at the same time by mistake.. should be greyed out in menu .. hopefully addressed in V2.. if you use Gamma assist,I would have it set to ON in display menu.. so you will see when you are using it .. just in case..

3/4 Yes limited in the LUT,s.. and no false color..  I think the main target market is not needing to load user LUT,s or shoot anamorphic !..which it could also do.. but if there camera travels up the food chain as a Venice lite.. things could get added.. but at some stage they will have to not tread of the much more expensive Venice toes ..  false color I have in my monitors .. throw up a tiny and light weight small HD focus on board ..

5 Didnt know that .. about the handle needed for Zebra.. ?.. I dont use them but handy to know .. I changed the handle on my f5 but so far have kept the handle on the fx9.. the hot shoe audio mount might be handy for me to get scratch track from audio.. without needing any cable into XLR..

Yes the almost total lack of nasty noise is amazing ..dual ISO very good.. if you google Vocas Fx9.. there is a 3 hour video presentation by Sony guru Alister Chapman .. that he gave in Holland at the Vocas showroom .. there is a ton of Fx9 info in this pre release video.. his site XDCAM USER also has fx9 info as he has one too..

Dont be afraid to sling on some  f1.8 Sony stills lenses .. the AF is quite incredible.. I've had to eat my hat after being such a strong opponent of AF.. it really is useable in many situations now.. face detect is amazing and you can even register a face with one button ..  not to be used all the time.. but can safe alot of time of a super tricky but straight forward focus pull .. eg walking ,running straight to camera .. it really is better than any human could do.. well except Greg !.. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

Guys.....it's a pretty funny post, once again British humour unappreciated by the non British ?

R,

Pretty funny ?.. its the peak of British humor sir .. honed over many years of sarcasm ,total lack of parental love, Britsh Rail sandwiches and rainy weekends .. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Phil Connolly said:

Robin, so not only are you in the Digital elite, you have to rub our faces in it. Sure I'd love to shoot FF digital but I'm stuck with 35mm celluloid because its all I can afford..... sure you've made it, but  have a bit of humility and send the elevator back down to us little "film-heads"

Phil..   please feel free to mention my name in your next meetings.. Ive opened doors to many in the past .. the young Nosher Ackroyd BSC wouldn't be where he is is now I can tell you that much..he,s from the North ... but here s a tip for free ,as you seem to be a nice young man from Brighton.. DITCH THE FILM THING...  look I know you can sniff it and all that fun stuff.. Im all for that .. I still have a teddy bear from Eton..and a large bill from an establishment in Soho.. glorious odors abound..  I imparted the same advise to Roger .. and look where he is now !..  not one Oscar for film.. and now he's clearing space on his mantle piece for number two... and wants to name me personally in his speech .. hell of time to talk him out of it ..  your no one now without a 6K sensor next to your nose thees days ..  . one must move with the times .. nay be one step ahead .. head out of sand young man.. best of Luck .. tinkety tonk old fruit and down with the Nazis 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, Robin R Probyn said:

Phil..   please feel free to mention my name in your next meetings.. Ive opened doors to many in the past .. the young Nosher Ackroyd BSC wouldn't be where he is is now I can tell you that much..he,s from the North ... but here s a tip for free ,as you seem to be a nice young man from Brighton.. DITCH THE FILM THING...  look I know you can sniff it and all that fun stuff.. Im all for that .. I still have a teddy bear from Eton..and a large bill from an establishment in Soho.. glorious odors abound..  I imparted the same advise to Roger .. and look where he is now !..  not one Oscar for film.. and now he's clearing space on his mantle piece for number two... and wants to name me personally in his speech .. hell of time to talk him out of it ..  your no one now without a 6K sensor next to your nose thees days ..  . one must move with the times .. nay be one step ahead .. head out of sand young man.. best of Luck .. tinkety tonk old fruit and down with the Nazis 

OMG! I am crying and can’t breathe!!!

?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

. tinkety tonk old fruit and down with the Nazis 

That's true but dont forget to greet Jason Isaac's.

Is this the same soho drinking establishment that you'll always find Brian Tuffano Bsc in the bar ranting about aspect ratios?  Last time I went, I bumped into the late Nik Powell. It got messy which is a shame because he said he was going to lend me a Z1, allowing me to become a 'full member of the club'. But everyone got distracted by David Puttnam singing his rude "Sea Shanties" while glaring at Chris Nolan (again) and I guess Nik hid in the lift with Stephen Fry and then it was too late. 

I have a mint Arri 535 that I am going to rip out the film movement and replace with the guts of my aunties DVX100, hopefully that will bring me upto date. 

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

Yes like the f5/55 it will definitely get better with FW upgrades .. V2 due "in the summer".. northern hemisphere hopefully..!

1 ..V2 will apparently have a 5K mode which will allow 50/60fps in FF .. I would avoid 2K FF for  S&Q 50/60 fps.. better to drop down to s35 scan mode..which allows 50/60 in 4K  (less sensor to read).. crop your lens and move back a bit .. but better IQ .. FF2K only for 100fps or over..

2 Find ..Gamma Display Assist setting .. ( I think shoot menu).. this is a REC709 800 MLUT.. its for the EVF only but can be applied on any Cine EI setting .. including S&Q..  but beware it is possible to have display gamma assist AND a LUT applied at the same time by mistake.. should be greyed out in menu .. hopefully addressed in V2.. if you use Gamma assist,I would have it set to ON in display menu.. so you will see when you are using it .. just in case..

3/4 Yes limited in the LUT,s.. and no false color..  I think the main target market is not needing to load user LUT,s or shoot anamorphic !..which it could also do.. but if there camera travels up the food chain as a Venice lite.. things could get added.. but at some stage they will have to not tread of the much more expensive Venice toes ..  false color I have in my monitors .. throw up a tiny and light weight small HD focus on board ..

5 Didnt know that .. about the handle needed for Zebra.. ?.. I dont use them but handy to know .. I changed the handle on my f5 but so far have kept the handle on the fx9.. the hot shoe audio mount might be handy for me to get scratch track from audio.. without needing any cable into XLR..

Yes the almost total lack of nasty noise is amazing ..dual ISO very good.. if you google Vocas Fx9.. there is a 3 hour video presentation by Sony guru Alister Chapman .. that he gave in Holland at the Vocas showroom .. there is a ton of Fx9 info in this pre release video.. his site XDCAM USER also has fx9 info as he has one too..

Dont be afraid to sling on some  f1.8 Sony stills lenses .. the AF is quite incredible.. I've had to eat my hat after being such a strong opponent of AF.. it really is useable in many situations now.. face detect is amazing and you can even register a face with one button ..  not to be used all the time.. but can safe alot of time of a super tricky but straight forward focus pull .. eg walking ,running straight to camera .. it really is better than any human could do.. well except Greg !.. 

Thanks for the tips!! 
I'll keep an eye on  the Gamma Assist thingy! 

So far I think that it can become a Mini Venice. I was surprised by how robust the codec is in terms of colour grading and how well it handles underexposure and overexposure. 
Definitely a really well thought out camera!

By the way, any LUT that you have made for the Venice works on the Sony FX9 footage straight away and with no problems. Fascinating!

I have a 35mm in my Sony A7s2 that I might be using on the FX9 after reading what you said about the focus ha! 

Have a lovely day! 

1 hour ago, Miguel Angel said:

Thanks for the tips!! 
I'll keep an eye on  the Gamma Assist thingy! 

So far I think that it can become a Mini Venice. I was surprised by how robust the codec is in terms of colour grading and how well it handles underexposure and overexposure. 
Definitely a really well thought out camera!

By the way, any LUT that you have made for the Venice works on the Sony FX9 footage straight away and with no problems. Fascinating!

I have a 35mm in my Sony A7s2 that I might be using on the FX9 after reading what you said about the focus ha! 

Have a lovely day! 

Yes you can apply the Display Gamma assist and get a MLUT 709 800 in the EVF ..in most settings  .. much the same as the gamma assist in the A7,s.. 

50fps S&Q .. s35 scan mode is the best way to go..  FF2k can have aliasing problems .. 

The Venice s709 LUT can be a bit green with fx9 Slog footage .. not exactly the same as Venice ..different sensor .. Alister Chapman has some fx9 specific Luts on his site.. that take out a bit of the green..

Yes check out the AF.. I was the world champion nay sayer about AF.. but this new hybrid contrast/phase detect is pretty amazing ..  worth investigating .. will never replace a focus puller on drama,s.. because it cant tell where you want the focus or when to pull.. but some shots it will just save alot of time .. and there are alot of speed and sensitivity settings .. there is face only and face registration .. tons on the inter web .. check it out sir 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil Connolly said:

That's true but dont forget to greet Jason Isaac's.

Is this the same soho drinking establishment that you'll always find Brian Tuffano Bsc in the bar ranting about aspect ratios?  Last time I went, I bumped into the late Nik Powell. It got messy which is a shame because he said he was going to lend me a Z1, allowing me to become a 'full member of the club'. But everyone got distracted by David Puttnam singing his rude "Sea Shanties" while glaring at Chris Nolan (again) and I guess Nik hid in the lift with Stephen Fry and then it was too late. 

I have a mint Arri 535 that I am going to rip out the film movement and replace with the guts of my aunties DVX100, hopefully that will bring me upto date. 

Groucho,s  has had its day sir .. no this is a much more specific establishment .. one doesn't want to go into detail..  but very much members only .. 

Edited by Robin R Probyn
spelling

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

tricky but straight forward focus pull .. eg walking ,running straight to camera .. it really is better than any human could do.. well except Greg !.. 

Hey! I like this! Thanks Robin!

G

I take it you are a fellow member of the church .. excellent..  Fx9 well worth a look .. if your in no hurry probably  wait till FW V2 this summer.. iron out a few wrinkles ..  Im impatiently waiting for some Vocas bits to get the thing battle ready..  hopefully they arrive before the FW update !..

Down with the Nazis

Wing Co Bunty Probyn Ret.