ARRI III FLICKER PROBLEM

Borja Llorens

• Premium Member

I just recently got an old Arriflex III 35mm camera without Crystal Sync Base and got a flickering problem on most of the footage. Before buying it i rolled some film to test it, connecting the camera to the domestic current, with an electric conversor (which right know i dont know what voltage outputs). After the test, i went out to film a project, plugging the camera to a 14.4V Vlock battery, with the 4 pin XLR connector, apparently the camera was working and sounded allright, but i got a red dot on the viewfinder all the time. And when i got thhe footage i had this non-constant flicker, which seems a problem related to the voltage and the power of the camera motor. I heard a 16V ground battery could do better to the camera.

What could have been the problem? Should i get a Crystal sync base, or it is not related to this problem? Thanks.

https://vimeo.com/739738366/c36e2b67e8

• Premium Member

I don't think the camera could cause that, shutter speed fluctuation would have to be quite extreme to create so much exposure difference. I think you would hear it if the speed fluctuated that much. Does the camera movement turn over manually OK, no tight spots?

Usually that sort of flicker is due to the lighting.

The out-of-sync red light is normally because the battery is low, or can't supply enough current. You might have a bad battery or defective cable. 12V should be enough for 24/25 fps, current draw is around 2.5A. Try another battery, if the red light still stays on you will need to get the cable and camera checked.

Compared with Don I know nothing, but the flicker is frame-to-frame- would a lighting flicker not show as bands across the frame? The flicker seems to affect the whole field of view, not just where the fill light would be shining. It occurs to be it could have been lit just with reflectors.

Also, to rule out the scan, is there actually density variation in the negative? Did the lab report say anything about it?

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone – any updates here? Running into this exact issue on footage from a 16SRII. My best guess is that it's the scan, but quite bizarre to see it replicated exactly.

All the best -A

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Asher Groh said:

Hey everyone – any updates here? Running into this exact issue on footage from a 16SRII. My best guess is that it's the scan, but quite bizarre to see it replicated exactly.

SR's are an entirely different beast. Do you have footage you can post? 

How strange, because it's otherwise great looking footage. I'm sort of getting the feeling it's not the lighting, but I could be wrong. It couldn't possibly be a problem with the light source in the scanner?

• Premium Member

Already resolved my problem and have been happily shooting with the camera since then. I took it to the masters of System Grip Madrid. Their diagnose was that the whole movement was not moving smooth and it was dropping the frame rate between 24 and 25, this variation of time was causing the frame to overexpose. At the beginning i thought it was the an alimentation problem, but that was not the cause.

They opened the camera and cleaned the whole movement system and after turning it on the movement was not even starting, that made the guy realize that it was a motor problem, the motor had lost power and efficiency after being 15 years on a shelf. Luckily the guys had some other Arri IIIs in the place, and they replaced me the whole motor. After that the camera has been working perfectly, ive shot 4, 5 projects since.

Movement

Capturadepantalla2024-04-10alas15_24_20.png.58d2165c22be162310436b6b195e7fc3.png

Motor down left

Capturadepantalla2024-04-10alas15_24_26.png.11ba4168dc4b4413c9e9df1a40458f1f.png

That is quite interesting to me!

I am trying to get an Arriflex IIA up and running at the moment, but I still have visible speed variations in the tachometer. I wonder if this might result in the same issues.

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, Asher Groh said:

Finally got some up – presents across all scenes.

https://vimeo.com/933381016/ddad0824d5

Could be a lot of things sadly. Usually when I see this on an SR, it's something pretty obvious like a crapped out drive belt, but ya never know until ya get it on the bench and start testing it. If you wanted to send it in, drop me a PM and I'll get you the check in sheet for repair. 

You can use DaVinci Resolve 16.5's "deflicker" feature, to remove this for your editing, so you can finish your film without any issues. 

12 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Could be a lot of things sadly. Usually when I see this on an SR, it's something pretty obvious like a crapped out drive belt, but ya never know until ya get it on the bench and start testing it. If you wanted to send it in, drop me a PM and I'll get you the check in sheet for repair. 

You can use DaVinci Resolve 16.5's "deflicker" feature, to remove this for your editing, so you can finish your film without any issues. 

Much appreciated, Tyler. If we can allocate the budget for repairs I'll be in touch. There are three SRs that haven't been serviced in at least ten years. Thanks so much for the info.