My first roll of 16mm film - help?

Kristian Schumacher

Hi everyone,

I just shot my first roll of 16mm film. Generally I am very happy, but of course there are some problems. Have a look here if you would like:

The camera is a K-3, I just had it converted to S16 and had a recentered Nikon-mount put on it by Les Bosher in the UK (great job by the way:-)

The light metering was done with the inbuilt meter only, and I asked the developers not to make any adjustments to exposure so I could see how it fared. Seems very good to me.

BUT - Have a look at the red line that comes and goes on the right side of the frame. Does anyone recognise this? I did fiddle a while treading the film in maybe a little too much light, so I thought that it could be light that snuck down the side of the film inside the "daylight" spool. But I would greatly appreciate your ideas about those lines.

The content of my little film is of course rubbish, but I was just playing in the park - and with no tripod.

If I can just sort out the light leak, the quality is every bit as good as I hoped (although not on youtube :-) and I am really looking forward to shooting my first real thing with it; a music video in the next month or two.

Thanks in advance for any help or comments,

Kristian

Thanks Joe,

The film was Kodak Vision 50D. I used a few different Nikon lenses to try them out, including a Sigma 10-20 for DX cameras with no aperture ring... Had to jam a piece of plastic into the mechanism to keep the aperture open :lol: But it seems to work! Still need to work out the red light along the edge though.

Kristian

That's fogging from a light leak. My guess isn't really loading, check your camera for all possible light leaks - TAPE THE EDGES of the K3 it's so simple and if there's a little leak that would stop it and just get a roll of b&w and see if you still have a leak or not. It could've been loading if was just be a little more careful and just tape the edges just in case. So do this and check the camera out again but I really don't think it's the camera and if it was, taped edges would work.

grab a neg and look at how close the super16 frame comes to the edge that was fogged in your footage - I think you'll see now how critical the daylight load reel has become - so much so its really now out of spec for the job at hand...

i.e. load/unload all important footage in complete darkness - super essential with shots at the end of the reel

It takes away a bit of the fun - but you wouldn't have forked out for the conversion without knowing the plusses huh ;)

• Premium Member
grab a neg and look at how close the super16 frame comes to the edge that was fogged in your footage - I think you'll see now how critical the daylight load reel has become - so much so its really now out of spec for the job at hand...

That is my impression also, that fog would have not come into play on a "regular" 16mm Shot. it would have been lost on the second set of perfs, or the (unused) soundtrack area. Hence the warning on the newer Kodak Packages to load in darkroom only.

The fog seems to be mostly gone about 20 seconds into your video. that is 10 feet (roughly) of film.

To test, Load some TX reversal in the darkroom. shoot about 30 feet, and then leave the camera where it will get a lot of sun for an hour or two, then finish shooting the roll. Any areas where the Perfs, (or the sound track edge) are not black (between the pictures) are a light leak to track down. You can load the developed film in the camera , and advance to where you had it stopped, to figure out where the list is comming from.

I say TX as it is the fastest B&W reversal stock, and I say reversal so that you can deal with the actual Camera film, these days with Video Transfer, folks don't actually look at the Camera film anymore.

Thanks everyone!

I forgot to mention that I did tape the edges of the lid, so if light leaked in through the camera it is probably came from somewhere else, not around the cover (which is worse I guess...) Also, I put a couple of the scenes together from that roll - not in the order they were shot. The red line was much more prominent at the beginning of the roll. The macro stuff was at the end and has no red line (at least not visible on the tape recording)

Thank you all for your input - and I hope to hear more when the time difference allows - I'm on the other side of the pond to I guess most of you...?

Kristian

If the fogging was at the beginning of the roll then you have your culprit- it happened during loading. How much film did you run off? IIRC 5' or so is enough, but there's plenty spare- in the case of 8mm, the roll is 8' over length so I assume 16mm loads have at least as much.

• Premium Member
Thanks everyone!

I will load my next roll in darkness and keep fingers crossed - and then probably come up with more questions to ask you fine peolpe of this board :)

Kristian

Yup. Looks like it was fogged. I recognize the effect from when I've done it (intentionally and unintentionally.)

Otherwise, that was GREAT footage. You have a keen eye and an excellent sense of exposures and framing!

Well done and keep it up! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Sorry to ignore you for a couple of weeks. Haven't been checking this site in a while. The conversion was done by Les Bosher in the UK http://www.lesbosher.co.uk/ It cost me £200 plus freight and they hit me with import tax to Norway.... And all this for an $80 camera.... Just kidding - I am very happy with the camera now. The main thing was getting the recentered Nikon mount proffessionally installed so I can use nice lenses. The gate only conversion I guess I could have done myself with a nail file... :lol: (I'm doing that at the moment with a Kodak Model E - but I shouldn't brag about me or my nail file before it's done I guess ;) I have been building an underwater housing for my k-3, but I'll show the pics in a new thread.

Kristian

When shooting Super16, it's crucial to load in complete darkness (darkbag/tent). If you load it in the open, the edges of the first 10+ feet or even more will be exposed and ruin the edge for you.

The rest of the footage was fine, so it's obviously a result of loading in the open.

Some pretty good footage for your first roll ever. The shot of the birds was nice, would have been even better had they actually flown away! That's what you get for working with non-SAG birds ;)

When shooting Super16, it's crucial to load in complete darkness (darkbag/tent). If you load it in the open, the edges of the first 10+ feet or even more will be exposed and ruin the edge for you.

The rest of the footage was fine, so it's obviously a result of loading in the open.

Some pretty good footage for your first roll ever. The shot of the birds was nice, would have been even better had they actually flown away! That's what you get for working with non-SAG birds ;)

Hehe, Thanks Jonathan,

Would also have been nice if my left hand wasnt busy throwing bread crumbs so I could focus out a bit.