"Grasslands" money update

So I finally got paid for "Grasslands", minus the 25 bucks that the DP did not have at the moment. Close enough. $25 seems a small price to pay to be able to finally reach some closure. Long story short, the DP ended up paying me out of his own money...so now, as he said to me tonight, it's HIS problem. Which I have to admit I feel guilty about...but on the other hand, what was I supposed to do? Anyway, he essentially handed me an envelope full of 20's and then pretty much ran across Amsterdam Ave to the car as I trailed off, "Thanks...?" behind him and stood there in disbelief on the corner. I promptly spent $20 of it on a sandwich and cough syrup and then went home and realized that I can finally wash my hands of this stupid goddamn job forever. I'm sure the DP felt incredibly awkward about the fact that he ended up paying me out of his pocket, but at least it saves my 225-pound friend a trip up to the Bronx with a Louisville Slugger.

The End

:D

Anyway, he essentially handed me an envelope full of 20's and then pretty much ran across Amsterdam Ave to the car as I trailed off, "Thanks...?" behind him and stood there in disbelief on the corner. I promptly spent $20 of it on a sandwich and cough syrup and then went home and realized that I can finally wash my hands of this stupid goddamn job forever. I'm sure the DP felt incredibly awkward about the fact that he ended up paying me out of his pocket, but at least it saves my 225-pound friend a trip up to the Bronx with a Louisville Slugger.

The End

Wow, that is quite an outcome! Although there have been one or two jackholes who have never paid me for shooting before, gotta say this is one for the books -the DP running off like he just handed you a live bomb seems truly bizarre.

All in all, this is close the best outcome all things considered.Hey, at least you got your money!

So I finally got paid for "Grasslands", minus the 25 bucks that the DP did not have at the moment. Close enough. $25 seems a small price to pay to be able to finally reach some closure. Long story short, the DP ended up paying me out of his own money...so now, as he said to me tonight, it's HIS problem. Which I have to admit I feel guilty about...but on the other hand, what was I supposed to do? Anyway, he essentially handed me an envelope full of 20's and then pretty much ran across Amsterdam Ave to the car as I trailed off, "Thanks...?" behind him and stood there in disbelief on the corner. I promptly spent $20 of it on a sandwich and cough syrup and then went home and realized that I can finally wash my hands of this stupid goddamn job forever. I'm sure the DP felt incredibly awkward about the fact that he ended up paying me out of his pocket, but at least it saves my 225-pound friend a trip up to the Bronx with a Louisville Slugger.

The End

Hi Annie

Ok thats good... noble act by the DP.. although TBH I think alot of DP,s would do the same.. esp if he introduced you to the job.. they are responsible for how their crew is treated.. which would explain the payment and maybe the hasty retreat.. just from embarrassment more than malice I,d say.

• Premium Member

I've done it before and always will when I can. It might not be ALL of the money, but I had my whole crew get kinda ponied out of a check when the payroll person up and disappeared on a long vacation. My long story short, I spent around 2000 for the 1/2 day out of my pocket to the whole crew. But don't tell them that. Least I can do because I did take 'em out.

How can I say this... um...

Not in my experience?

Surprised to hear that really... the operator/ focus puller and loader are most often friends and or colleagues ... of the DP.. why its so hard to get into camera dept in the first place. it was always my experience that the Dp would be minding our backs.. even instructions not to hand over rushes to production :) when they though it prudent not to..

And seems this guy also felt bad and did the right thing... the DP might work for nothing as they have something to gain.. but they should look out for their department.. or risk getting a bad name I would have thought..

• Premium Member
How can I say this... um...

Not in my experience?

My experience matches yours, Phil. When this kind of thing happened to me, usually the DP was also flat broke and getting stiffed for their pay, too.

-- J.S.

My experience matches yours, Phil. When this kind of thing happened to me, usually the DP was also flat broke and getting stiffed for their pay, too.

Even if they introduced you to the job? ofcourse there is an amount that is just unrealistic for a DP to cover.. but they should do their utmost to hassle/harass production to get it for their crew.

Ive only had to do it once,to pay a sound guy,and it wasnt even up for debate..

-- J.S.

Hey Annie,

Although your sub-title says that you never want to see those ppl again....from my own experience I'm afraid to say that it is more likely that you will. Ours is a very small world!

Good to hear that you got payed.

As for the dp steaming across the road, could it not be that he parked somewhere where he ran the risk of getting a ticket?!

I do sometimes put myself in that position in the hope that whatever I'm about to do, I can do it quickly without having to fork out for parking. I know it sounds like penny pinching (and it even does to me now as I read this back to myself) but hey! Look after your pennies and your pounds (bucks, in your case) will look after themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
...but at least it saves my 225-pound friend a trip up to the Bronx with a Louisville Slugger.

I hope this is a joke...otherwise, it makes you unlikely to have anyone want to work with you in the future. Granted, no one should lie to you BUT you should handle your own business without resorting to this sort of behavior. The courtroom is the proper place for righting wrongs.

• 4 months later...
I hope this is a joke...otherwise, it makes you unlikely to have anyone want to work with you in the future. Granted, no one should lie to you BUT you should handle your own business without resorting to this sort of behavior. The courtroom is the proper place for righting wrongs.

"The Courtroom"?? How do you expect to extract dime one from a production company like that one? No doubt, they formed a LLC for the specific project and made certain that the LLC had near zero assets as the project reached completion.

Annie, you were there because the DP brought you into this mess, but the problem was caused by those above the line. The Producer takes no responsibility for the payroll situation? I'm guessing that this shoot was non-union and your local would be of no help?

The secret to holding property for ransom, is not be seen taking it.

Annie, you were there because the DP brought you into this mess, .....

I have to disagree with you here JD. Annie got into this mess because Annie took the job. Period. She is a big girl. She made her own decision. The DP can refer work to her but he is (not) her employer. The production Company is. And she is not the DP's employee... she is an Ind. Contractor. Sure DPs will fend for their Crews... I do. I tell production (say on a commercial) that the Camera, Elec and Grips (I use) need to be paid at wrap... if they say ok then I leave it between the crew and the production company. It is now between them. Anyone who has ever worked for me will vouch for my willingness to stick up for the crew... and get nasty if need be. However, I am in no way responsible for their checks. They are.

...all that said glad you got some $$$ Annie!

• Premium Member
The courtroom is the proper place for righting wrongs.

Been there, done that. It's only worthwhile for roughly $100K+ problems. This, at $525, would be marginal even for small claims. Sometimes the game ain't worth the candle.

-- J.S.

I have to disagree with you here JD. Annie got into this mess because Annie took the job. Period. She is a big girl. She made her own decision. The DP can refer work to her but he is (not) her employer. The production Company is. And she is not the DP's employee... she is an Ind. Contractor. Sure DPs will fend for their Crews... I do. I tell production (say on a commercial) that the Camera, Elec and Grips (I use) need to be paid at wrap... if they say ok then I leave it between the crew and the production company. It is now between them. Anyone who has ever worked for me will vouch for my willingness to stick up for the crew... and get nasty if need be. But, I am in no way responsible for their checks. They are.

...all that said glad you got some $$$ Annie!

Dave, that's being a little hard lined. Yes, Annie agreed, it wasn't slavery or indentured servatude. I'm probably missing some details of the whole mis-adventure, but I did go and read all of Annie's previous thread on "Grasslands". Did she know the DP from previous jobs? If so, she like many people, would think that things are "okay", after all why would the DP have agreed to these terms? I agree, no deal memo should have been a "red flag", perhaps they said it was going to be cut later. "Right now, we have to get busy filming. I'm sure all you professionals understand."

I didn't say it was the DP's fault. Can he disperse money he wasn't given? He's not the payroll company either. Since the DP doesn't have the money, what's wrong with getting in the Producer's face about it?

I didn't say it was the DP's fault. Can he disperse money he wasn't given? He's not the payroll company either. Since the DP doesn't have the money, what's wrong with getting in the Producer's face about it?

Nothing. Nothing at all. It did not read like that in your post. It seemed like you were indeed putting it on the DP. Now I see you are not :) . btw.. It shouldn't matter at all if the DP worked for them before or not. we all make or deals with production and just because it works well once does not mean it will work well the second or sixth time...

Nothing. Nothing at all. It did not read like that in your post. It seemed like you were indeed putting it on the DP. Now I see you are not :) . btw.. It shouldn't matter at all if the DP worked for them before or not. we all make or deals with production and just because it works well once does not mean it will work well the second or sixth time...

No Dave, not total blame on the DP. But if someone you know that brings you into a job, you've got a little faith in humanity, that this person isn't goint to lead you to the slaughter.

No Dave, not total blame on the DP. But if someone you know that brings you into a job, you've got a little faith in humanity, that this person isn't goint to lead you to the slaughter.
\

... they may very well (unknowingly) lead us into a slaughter. That is why each of us has to cover our own asses. We are responsible for ourselves and the sooner we start acting like real business people (in this business) the better... as you surely know JD. You deal with this stuff all the time but it usually goes in your favor (as it does mine) because of how we position ourselves from the get go.

• 2 months later...

I ran in to a situation like this a few years back. It got to the point where we (the ACs) were sitting around the shot film, discussing whether to put in in our cars and drive away. We were professionals. We didn't, and I personally am $2500 poorer because of this. It's nice that the DP had your back. That was a real class act thing to do. But in this business, especially in the non-union world, especially when they don't have a bond with a payroll company, you have to start thinking about "How will I ensure I have leverage if my employer doesn't live up to his promises?"

I disagree with Annie, one guy with a baseball bat isn't the way to handle it. He should take a friend with a bat in case his swing is off or the producer tries to run. Some people in life just need their asses kicked.