Interstellar and the future of film projection

Tyler Purcell

The INTERSTELLAR film screenings are already having a positive effect on theatergoers. Last night, I watched 'THE HUNGER GAMES - MOCKINGJAY PART 1' at the same theater where I watched the 35mm film print. The theater manager (a former 15/70 IMAX projectionist) told me that are keeping the 35mm projector for several reasons. One, he was approached by a large number of patrons that requested they keep the 35mm projector around. Two, they were given solid confirmations from the studios that 'STAR WARS EPISODE VII' and Tarantino's 'HATEFUL EIGHT' would be screening there in 35mm.

Last year, I read an interview with Steven Spielberg where he predicted the near future of cinema. He said there would be boutique theaters and screenings on film. Multiplex mainstays and art house theaters. Finally, the big ticket cinematic experience where

you get all the bells and whistles. INTERSTELLAR's recent box office success is definitely helping to steer things in that direction.

• Premium Member

All I can say is that the camera operator was the DP and all of us were doing our jobs. Everyone knew at the time the situation and only one person - Chris - made the decision to move on.

I just watched INTERSTELLAR again in a different theater. I must say, there are no significant focus issues and the contrast, blacks, etc were amazing. Beautiful work. As for the Michael Caine death scene, there is a moment where he tips his head within minimum focus but for almost the entire shot, his far eye in the light is sharp. I believe that the depth is so extremely shallow that we see more softness than sharpness in the overall frame. There were also a couple of quick buzzes on the imax close ups of Matthew where we were photographing him with a +3 diopter in order to achieve the desired image size. All and all, it's amazing work and quite the artistic and technical achievement.

G

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member

Then, watched it in on 70mm real film, IMAX dome, seated near projector, worst looking movie I've seen in a long while.

WOW really? They projected it on a domed OMNIMAX screen? WOW that must have been really interesting. I would have gladly switched places with you! HAHAHAH. But yea, it's for sure meant to be seen flat, must have been really strange watching everything so big and mis-shaped.

WOW really? They projected it on a domed OMNIMAX screen? WOW that must have been really interesting. I would have gladly switched places with you! HAHAHAH. But yea, it's for sure meant to be seen flat, must have been really strange watching everything so big and mis-shaped.

Yes, it was extremely warped looking. I only went to see the FILM projected. :( Also saw Dark Knight there and missed half the action looking around. Never again. I'd prefer the cheapo theater over big roundy image. Defenitely a UNIQUE experience! ... that I don't recommend to anyone! :D Oh well. I guess the locals think it is cool and support.

I filmed INTERSTELLAR Studio Press Junket interviews with Director Christopher Nolan and it's great he shot 70mm & 35mm motion picture film. He also insisted that movie theaters screen film prints where it is still possible.

Edited by Glenn Roland

I saw it on Imax digital (Liemax?). I'm not a fan of digital projection, but the most striking thing I took away was the incredibly high audio volume. It was actually painful. Any ideas about this?

The studios always over "AMP"/produce post production sound for some reason, especially with "Tent Pole" Big Budget Releases. Cinema is also mainly a visual experience for the viewer and not the sound! It is really painful and distracting from what the motion picture is about. First idea of what to do about it is to get out of your seat, go to theater manager and/or projectionist (if there is one) tell them to turn down the volume in the theater. If they don't do anything, get your money back and leave. You can always bring ear plugs and stay for the screening.

I saw it on Imax digital (Liemax?). I'm not a fan of digital projection, but the most striking thing I took away was the incredibly high audio volume. It was actually painful. Any ideas about this?

Try to find theaters the are still screening film prints when possible.

The best ideal digital projection I have ever seen was a screening of one of the STAR WARS sequels at Skywalker Ranch/Tech Bldg Main Theater while filming the studio press junket for the motion picture there.

Motion Picture Film is still better than digital. It is so much better to master/film on motion picture film. It is also better to screen films using motion picture film prints for projection at the theaters.

Always try find movie theaters that are screening film prints when you to to the movies.

I filmed INTERSTELLAR Studio Press Junket interviews with Director Christopher Nolan and it's great he shot 70mm & 35mm motion picture film. He also insisted that movie theaters screen film prints where it is still possible.

Glenn,

Can we watch these interviews online?

Glenn, I actually did talk to the manager. He told me that IMAX monitors everything they do to the projection, and that they did try to turn the volume down once due to complaints. He said they got flak from IMAX on it. That's also something new with digital projection. A related thing: I talked with a projectionist at a drive-in who said something similar, that the studio could tell exactly when they showed a film.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Not to get away from Interstellar, but PT Anderson's new film Inherent Vice open's here in Hollywood this weekend with TWO 70mm prints at the Arclight! Both optical blow-up's and the film was evidently finished photochemically.

So many 70mm prints in such a short time, we're really keeping the cobwebs off those projectors! :)

Edited by Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member

Well, saw Inherent Vice and was quite surprised at how good it looked. They wanted a seriously grainy look and it worked very well. It could have been projected digitally and been exactly the same, nothing about the gorgeous 70mm print really stood out, no real excitement. However, it was very cool of PT Anderson to demand 70mm prints be struck and release the film early to those theaters capable of running these prints.

The film is for sure worth the watch, both cinematically and storytelling. I really enjoyed every aspect of it.

I saw the third opening-night showing of IV at the Angelika in NYC on 35mm. The projectionist somehow managed to screw up the print - every reel had three prominent scratches running down the right side of the frame. It did look great, though. I might see it again in DCP to look for a difference.

Edited by Kenny N Suleimanagich

Thanks to Mr. Nolan I got to see Interstellar on 35mm twice, each time run by a skilled projectionist for a member price of $6. One of the few times you'll see my local rep/art house threater getting a newly released film from a major studio just because they continue to offer 35mm as well as DCP.

I loved the film even more the second time and the cinematography, sound design and music blew my mind.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

For those of us in So Cal, the Los Angeles Science Museum just scored a 70/15 print of Interstellar, presumedly from one of the other threatens who stopped projecting it. For two weeks only, they will be showing Interstellar @ 7:00! If you haven't seen the film yet, now is the opportunity!