Film Recommendations

Daniel Meier

I'm looking out for movies from the 1920's to 1980's, that you think, a filmmaking person should've seen in his life.

You know, the masterpieces of cinematography as well as little treasures only few know about.

I'm thankful for every input!

Cheers,

Daniel

I'm looking out for movies from the 1920's to 1980's, that you think, a filmmaking person should've seen in his life.

The Godfather

The Godfather Part II (much debated because it was thought that Gordon Willis went too dark)

Alien

Raging Bull

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

All are generally considered classics. I'm still working on those-no time for lesser known stuff now!

Apocalypse Now

Don't Look Back by Roeg

Performance by Roeg

Nostra signora dei turchi

Dog Star Man

Solaris

Stalker

Antonio das mortes

Macunaima

Hitler ein film aus der Deutschland

Zabriskie Point

Blow Up

Aguirre by Herzog

General Line by Ejzenstejn

Satyricon by Fellini

Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid

Easy rider

Days of Heaven

Altered States by Russell

The Deer Hunter by Cimino

Blade Runner

• Premium Member

You should watch as many films as possible, and not just for the cinematography...

Nosferatu (1922)

Battleship Potemkin (1925)

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

The Gunfighter (1950)

The Seven Samurai (1954)

The Seventh Seal (1957)

Wild Strawberries (1957)

Contempt (1963)

Fellini's 81/2 (1963)

Persona (1966)

Solaris (1972)

The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)

...and many, many more....

You know, the masterpieces of cinematography as well as little treasures only few know about.

I'm thankful for every input!

Cheers,

Daniel

"Alice in den Städten"(1974)

"Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum oder: Wie Gewalt entstehen und wohin sie führen kann"(1975)

"Das zweite Erwachen der Christa Klages"(1975)

While most people will point to Werner Fassbinder and his 15 years of producing films... I tend to select non-Fassbinder examples of the 60's/70's when German Film was in recovery.

On the other hand if I were to return to school to get a PhD in Film history, I'd write my thesis that the US Hollywood films of the 30s and 40s were predominantly German Film translated... While there was a surge of german expatriates in Hollywood in the 30's, the significant collaboration between Hollywood and German Film had existed in the silent period of the 20s, when talent both in front of the camera and behind, were exchanged between the two film communities.

With that in mind, I'd recommend:

"Die Büchse der Pandora"(1927)

"Metropolis"(1926)

"Der Blaue Engel"(1930)

In the case of "Büchse" and "Blauer Engel" I'd recommend going to Frank Wedekind's original "Lulu" series plays and reading through them. I'd also recommend reading "Professor Unrat" by Heinrich Mann (Thomas' other brother...) as well...

I don't know that Thea von Harbou's 'novelization' of "Metropolis" adds anything...

Edited by John E Clark

• Premium Member

I would definitely watch Tarkovsky movies, all of them are great cinematography wise and have stunning images.

Watch at least:

The Mirror (especially the dream sequences and colours)

Andrei Rublev (some stunning b/w scenes)

Ivan's Childhood (great b/w scenes)

Stalker (especially the dream sequences, railway "border" scenes and interiors)

Solaris

The Sacrifice

I would watch also other Soviet and Eastern Block films, for example Emil Loteanu's films have some good scenes. Lautarii and Gypsies Are Found Near Heaven have some good old school shots.

Kurosawa films are great and also some of the old anamorphic Japanese movies (can't remember titles right now) .

I liked also the Dersu Uzala movie's nature shots, it is also shot in the Soviet Union.

Kieslowski films are great also.

Carbon Copy and Back to the Future if you're in to the marketable screenwriting element of it all. As far as visual technique, maybe Taxi Driver? Everyone's pretty much already said the common titles thrown around in film school.

• Premium Member

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - get the Blue-Ray (worth it)

A Fist Full of Dollars

A Few Dollars More

That's the big trio out of the way.

Tombstone

One upon a time in the west

True Grit (I prefer the 2010 version)

Unforgiven

Django (1966)

Fear eats the soul,

The Holy Mountain,

Daisies,

At Land,

Eraserhead,

Ashik Kerib,

The Legend of Suram Fortress,

Shadows of forgotten Ancestors,

Kiev Frescos

The Cabinet of Dr Caligari,

M,

Logans Run,

Hidden Fortress,

The Silence,

Through a glass darkly,

Cries and Whispers,

Jubilee,

The Art of Mirrors,

The Angelic Conversation,

Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome,

Carravagio,

The Last Of England,

Orphee,

La belle et la bête

The Blood of a poet,

The Age of Gold,

Orlando,

The gold diggers,

Lucifer Rising,

The Masque of the Red Death,

Prince of Darkness,

The Thing,

Susperia,

Legend of the Golden Vampires

Dracula Prince of Darkness

Sans Soleil

A clockwork Orange

Fahrenheit 451

The Shining

Any movie by Mario Bava

Westerns:

El Topo

Everything by Sergio Leone

• Premium Member

Western?

Stagecoach

High Noon

Sonst: La cabina, Spanien, 1972; La règle du jeu, 1939; Les enfants du paradis, 1945; Die Liebe einer Blondine von Miloš Forman; Dschamila von Irina Poplavskaya; Wolken ziehen vorüber von Aki Kaurismäki

As for Westerns, anything by Sergio Leone or starring Clint Eastwood is a good start, but to me, the epitome of the western is the late 60s and early 70s episodes of "Gunsmoke". Many have huge impact and really illustrate the nature of evil. Sadly, I don't believe any of the color episodes are out on DVD at the present time. JKH.

• Premium Member

Could you suggest some good Western movies?

Repeating one of my earlier suggestions:

The Gunfighter (1950)

That has to be my favorite Western of all-time. Great story, great acting, etc. And great black & white photography by Arthur C. Miller.

Well, the Man With No Name series from Sergio Leone has become the classic 'modern' western canon... There's also "Once Upon a Time in the West"(1968)

As the 70's rolled in there were a number of Westerns that broke with the previous 70 years worth...

"The Wild Bunch"(1969) -- unfettered violence...

"McCabe & Mrs. Miller"(1970) an 'anti' hero story...

• Premium Member

For westerns, I would look at specific directors since many of them worked often in the genre over several decades:

John Ford - Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine, Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Howard Hawks - Red River, Rio Bravo

Anthony Mann - Winchester '73, The Naked Spur, The Man From Laramie

Budd Boetticher - Seven Men From Now, The Tall T, Ride Lonesome

Delmer Daves - Broken Arrow, 3:10 to Yuma

William Wellman - The Ox Bow Incident

Nicholas Ray - Johnny Guitar

Fred Zinnemann - High Noon, Oklahoma!

Sam Peckinpah - Ride the High Country, The Wild Bunch, The Ballad of Cable Hogue, Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid

These mostly fall within the classical western period from 1900-early 1960's, characterized by a generally Euro-centric perspective of history, manifest destiny, the settling of the American West, and focused more on external action than on individual psychology. However, after World War II this gradually began to change, resulting in darker, more psychological films as the studio system collapsed in the '60s. Most of these films are from the post-war period.