Your favourite Camera

Hi Everybody.

This forum is asking 'What is your favourite ever camera?', it can be anything, from a Canon 310XL, to a

Panavision Genesis.

My personal favourite: ARRI D20

Enjoy

Edited by Matthew Buick

I've always dug the Brownie and then my mom made me go techno for my birthday, so I got my mits on one of them fold-out jobs. Then I got really seriouss and got me a Rebel a year later.

Silly child, an Arri D20 is digital. Everything digital sucks eggs. What are those quacks teaching our middle school childen these days.

This forum was only meant to be a bit of innocent fun.

I have no real reason for liking the D20 other than ''it looks cool'', maybe it does suck egg, but that won't stop me fron liking it.

Matthew Buick

Edited by Matthew Buick

• Premium Member

You'll find that when you get out into the professional world, you have to learn to be a lot more realistic about the tools. I've used cameras and systems that I didn't think I was going to like but ended up appreciating them, and I've also learned some cameras I thought were great really weren't that awesome after all. Eventually you have to get to know how to use all the cameras out there.

For 35mm I'm fond of the Moviecam Compact as a workhorse, but I haven't used the Arricam(s) yet.

Love the Aaton 35 for its lightweight and ergonomics, but it can be noisy.

For 16mm the Arri 16BL is disappointing in every possible way. The new 416 seems pretty cool, and a little better ergonomically than the SR's.

For video I'm really excited about the HDX900. Not because it's superior to other 2/3" HD cameras, but because it seems to offer a powerful combination of performance and price. One tidy, reliable package would be capable of almost any type of production (from low budget features down through TV news).

You'll find that when you get out into the professional world, you have to learn to be a lot more realistic about the tools. I've used cameras and systems that I didn't think I was going to like but ended up appreciating them, and I've also learned some cameras I thought were great really weren't that awesome after all. Eventually you have to get to know how to use all the cameras out there.

For 35mm I'm fond of the Moviecam Compact as a workhorse, but I haven't used the Arricam(s) yet.

Love the Aaton 35 for its lightweight and ergonomics, but it can be noisy.

For 16mm the Arri 16BL is disappointing in every possible way. The new 416 seems pretty cool, and a little better ergonomically than the SR's.

For video I'm really excited about the HDX900. Not because it's superior to other 2/3" HD cameras, but because it seems to offer a powerful combination of performance and price. One tidy, reliable package would be capable of almost any type of production (from low budget features down through TV news).

Your Right! I must grow up immediately! But I still have a soft spot for the looks at least, of the D20, but from what you guys are saying, it sucks like a Hoover.

I still have a soft spot for the looks at least, of the D20, but from what you guys are saying, it sucks like a Hoover.

No-one is saying that the D20 is a bad camera. It was just pointed out that perhaps you should actually use a camera before you decide it's your 'favorite'.

I can't say it's the best camera, but the one I grab when I want to shoot film for the pure pleasure of the craft is the B&H Filmo DA/DR. Light enough for handheld, sits nicely on the forehead, good enough optics for showtime, and it's a surefire conversation starter in public.

• Premium Member
I just meant the design looks nice, oh forget it. <_<

Design-wise, I always thought ILM's "Empireflex" VistaVision camera looked cool. The CircleVision camera rigs are really wild-looking...

I like the latest Arri designs in general, like the Arri-235 and Arri-416. The Panaflex Millenium-XL2 also looks a little sporty (for a little white box!)

For really old cameras, the Akeley is neat.

Ok, cool looking cameras. I like my 1919 35mm handcranked debrie. I've shot several thousdand feet of color feet through it and the results have a life of their own.

I also like the looks of the Arri IIC with a 200' mag. Have one of those too.

The Arri D20 is ugly though. Looks homemade out of recycled parts.

• Premium Member
The Arri D20 is ugly though. Looks homemade out of recycled parts.

It was designed by the Fraunhofer Institute:

http://www.fraunhofer.de/fhg/EN/index.jsp

Arri asked them to design and build it, I think around an Arri-435 front. So it's pretty crude, design-wise. Just some flat sides and air vents on top, and a few switches and outputs in the back, basically what engineers could put togther in a lab.

• Premium Member

Looks-wise, the Arri 535 is the only camera sexy enough to hold up to Madonna. The industrial designers really hit one out of the park with that feminine curve on the side...

post-366-1151983278.jpeg

While we're at it, can anyone tell me where I can get this slate? ;)

post-366-1151983315.jpeg