Which ARRI ?

Matthew Buick

You CAN get a blimp for the Arri S, I wouldn't really recommend it, unless you mind adding about 100pounds to the weight of your camera. Here's a good link with info on the blimp: http://owyheesound.com/owyheesound_instruc...x-16_blimp.html.

Having said that, the blimp does make the camera about as quiet as can be. If you're dead set on an arri, you have a few choices. Any of the SR family are great, but they're quite spendy. If the BL is more your style, it'll shoot sync sound, but you will have to blimp the lens.

I'm looking at an ARRI 16 S, S/B, or M, but I want to shoot movies with people speaking, should I buy a sound barney, or would it be cheaper to buy a 16BL ?

What you need is a either a tobin crystal sync motor or a constant speed motor for your arri S, And sound barney's arent exactly that easy to purchase now adays. Try putting a couple of layers of blankets over your camera or shoot from inside a car or just symply use a telephoto lens.

/Jan

• Premium Member
I'm looking at an ARRI 16 S, S/B, or M, but I want to shoot movies with people speaking, should I buy a sound barney, or would it be cheaper to buy a 16BL ?

Lee Gaither makes custom fit barneys for pretty much any motion picture camera and I know he will make one for the Arriflex 16S, S/B and the M. You can call him at 818 342-0739. He runs a small company call Custom Upholstery Products. You can also email him at CUPCAMERA@aol.com

-Tim

You CAN get a blimp for the Arri S, I wouldn't really recommend it, unless you mind adding about 100pounds to the weight of your camera. Here's a good link with info on the blimp: http://owyheesound.com/owyheesound_instruc...x-16_blimp.html.

Having said that, the blimp does make the camera about as quiet as can be. If you're dead set on an arri, you have a few choices. Any of the SR family are great, but they're quite spendy. If the BL is more your style, it'll shoot sync sound, but you will have to blimp the lens.

I agree that you CAN get a blimp, but it would be worth it to spend the extra money to get a sound camera like a BL or and SR over an S. It will make your production and post production process so much easier soundwise.

Just a note. Even though SR's are generally quiet, they can be a bit noisier or at least not as quiet as an Aaton. I have an SR that can be a problem for sound IF shooting inside with a wide angle lense with the camera close to an actor performing. Otherise my SR is a great camera.

best

Tim

And if an Arri is out of your price range and you are mechanically handy with small tools, you might consider an Auricon or CP16, which are older American sound sync cameras which can take good images and not force you to sell your mother for the down payment.

Either buy a CP16 or rent a camera and plan to shoot on a schedule.

Shooting sync dialogue driven films with these MOS cameras is a nightmare. The barneys wouldn't quieten them enough for most sync shooting - they're fine with CP 16s which are a bit more noisy than modern silent cameras. However, they'll only take a few dBs off a coffee grinder MOS camera.

The alternative is a blimp, which will be big, so you'll need a good tripod that can handle a heavy camera rig.

• Premium Member

You're not going to get a camera body quiet enough to get audio of even a marginal quality if your budget is $1500. Accesories such as batteries, a tripod and lenses.

If you find an Eclair (or anything capable of, and quiet enough for sync sound) for that much, assume thet you'll need to invest heavily for service and accessories. Or as Mitch just said over my shoulder... if it costs $1500... you don't want it.

- nathan

• Premium Member

The cheapest sync-sound reflexed cameras are the Arri-16BL (which needs blimped lenses), the Eclair NPR and ACL, and the CP16R, all 1960's era technology. These tend to be the "starter" cameras for sound shooting in 16mm, but I've never seen a package for any of these for $1500, not if it includes the lens, batteries, and mags. More like twice that.

I like the NPR. It's a bit awkward to handhold because of where the motor is. You have to watch the flippable C-mount / Eclair bayonet mount and make sure it is well-seated.

You're just going to have to come to terms that there is a base price for entering the world of 16mm sync-sound shooting. And of course, there is the cost of film, processing, telecine or printing, etc. Not to mention if you are recording sound, the cost of sound recorders...

Well, I guess I'll either do Lip-Sync (not for a few years), or just for now, I'll practice cinematography with it,MOS cameras can do that, can't they ?

P.S These emoticons are crap, look at the ones on Brickfilms, there's even a vomiting one !!!

Edited by Matthew Buick

• Premium Member

I just purchased an Arri S/B, but I am planning on using it for MOS films. When I've shot sync-sound, I've never used anything less than the Arri BL.