I am new here

Joseph Arch

Hi

I am new here and just joined. I am in the process of learning the baisics just so I know how things work from a technical part. I am not a technical person, I just know what I can to help me.

I want to learn about Cinematography and the process one has to go through.

How would you get a certain look and feel to a film, what type of lenses would you use, what film stock gives what kind of look etc... I am a noob but still learning.

I would like to purchase a good camera with some lenses that can give me an almost film like look. I was going to buy the red.com but as I have read here that they are not shipping them yet. So, I am looking for an alternative. Since I don't know much about the technical side, I wanted to ask for some advice as to what would be a good camera with lenses.

My budget is $20,000. I hope that it's enough. I live in the US, Miami.

Looking forward to being a part of this great forum B)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Theone and welcome... first you have to use your full name, it's a web rule. Second i believe when someone don't have any idea about something (in this case cameras) the first thing is search and read about what you want or all you want, in your case you can take long hours reading on this website about past topics. You can find a lot of quiktimes, jpg, stills, behind the scenes, etc. I think that, this would help you that you begin to handle the subject. Then you can make a more specific questions to any member in this website. Probably few persons agrees with me but not necessarily a good camera makes a good shot, i think is all about your talent (obviously there are so many cases...)

Hope Helps

Xavier Plaza

• Premium Member

Hi, Theone. I think you have a lot of work to do in the way of reading, asking questions, and making films. Twenty-grand is a lot of money and you can get some pretty awesome stuff within that budget. The caveat, though, is that a whole lot of crappy films get made with nice equipment. I guess what I'm saying is a filmmaking version of "the clothes don't make the man."

Thanks for the reply but no one answered my question.

Where can I buy the cameras from? Which website?

I know how to shoot, edit etc... but I am not a cinematographer so the technical aspect is not my job. I want to know where I can buy good cameras from that give me an almost film like look. Something like the www.red.com

I was looking at some JVC cameras and they cost $10,000 which is a good price for what look I wanted to get. However, I know there a better ones out there. I have looked through the forum but still cannot find the answer.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the reply but no one answered my question.

Nobody answered your question because we can't. What do you want to shoot? Was is the look you are going for? Do you want to shoot digital or film? You need to give us more info before we can help you. Please change your screen name ot first & last name like Xavier said.

Cheers, Dave

I changed it. I don't like to give out my name for people to see though.

I thought I was more specific but I guess not enough. I want to shoot digital I cannot afford film. I will be doing documentaries, broadcast on TV and short films. This is why I wanted to get a 16mm or even a 35mm digital if that is possible, to shoot what I want to achieve. I want to get as close to a film look as possible. I found a website but I wanted more options and also to know which camera would help me get what I wanted.

http://www.visualproducts.com/store02.asp?ID=12

I want to shoot digital I cannot afford film. I will be doing documentaries, broadcast on TV and short films. This is why I wanted to get a 16mm or even a 35mm digital if that is possible, to shoot what I want to achieve. I want to get as close to a film look as possible. I

http://www.visualproducts.com/store02.asp?ID=12

Hi Joseph,

Welcome to the forum. Visual Products is a very good company to buy pro-quality used gear. There are others, but thats a fine place to start looking and figuring out what gear pros use. I think the biggest challenge you will have in creating a "film" look will not be your equipment. It will be your skills as a cinematographer. Any reasonable 3-chip camera which shoots 24P will do just fine. My personal opinion, and that of many others on this list, is it's your skill and talent at lighting which will give your projects a film look. I suggest you start by reading "Cinematography" by Brown. I also highly recommend that you work on a film or two as a PA or camera assistant and learn how all the gear is used and what value each item brings to composition. Once you have a basic understanding of the concepts, you will be able to make a much more informed decision about how to spend your $20k.

No matter what equipment you have, you will need a solid understanding of the concepts around cinematography to have the control of image necessary to create the looks you want. Without that knowledge and skill, you can spend $200k on equipment and still shoot footage that looks like crap.

Cheers,

Paul

• Premium Member
I thought I was more specific but I guess not enough. I want to shoot digital I cannot afford film. I will be doing documentaries, broadcast on TV and short films. This is why I wanted to get a 16mm or even a 35mm digital if that is possible, to shoot what I want to achieve. I want to get as close to a film look as possible. I found a website but I wanted more options and also to know which camera would help me get what I wanted.

Hi Joseph,

first of all, there isn't such a thing as 16 or 35mm digital, strictly speaking.

There are however digital (video) formats that have sensor sizes close to the size of a 16mm frame or a 35mm frame. 16mm frame sizes most closely compares to 2/3" video cameras. The only 35mm equivalent that comes to mind right now is Arri's D20 which is way out of your budget.

So my suggestion is to look into SD and HD cameras that feature 2/3" sensors, such as e.g. Sony's DVCAM/XDCAM series or Panasonic's 2/3" DVCPRO cams.

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member
I was going to buy the red.com but as I have read here that they are not shipping them yet.

Actually, they are shipping. There is a wait right now (not sure how long) but they have indeed delivered the first batch of cameras and will be delivering more soon.

I do know how to shoot and make films. I just cannot tell what someone has used to make what. For example, what do they use to shoot nip/tuck? What kind of cameras, lenses etc...

I would just like to know where to get the equipment from. I come from a photography background so cinematography is not an alien form for me. I just dont know where to get the equipment from. What kind of camera I would need, I don't even know where to buy it from.

I am look at this camera

http://www.visualproducts.com/storeProduct...p;Cat=12#bigPic

I can use it to make great looking films with the right lenses, filters and so on.

I have also been looking here

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/feature...p;feature_id=01

What I am trying to understand is how do you know which camera to buy. Where to buy it from plus the lenses, filters and anything else. People telling me to read this and read that but no one have given me direct links on where to go. I don't want to go into the technical side of cinematography.

I hope that was a bit more clear :P

Edited by Joseph Arch

Follow up:

What does everyone trust?

Canon

JVC

Sony

Panasonic

I am looking for equipment that people trust with their lives and would not let them down.

Also, would a Film Adapter allow me to transfer 35mm slides or negatives to video, which can then be transferred to my computer or played back on my television?

If it can, then I could buy a used arri 16mm or 35mm.

• Premium Member
Follow up:

What does everyone trust?

Canon

JVC

Sony

Panasonic

I am looking for equipment that people trust with their lives and would not let them down.

Also, would a Film Adapter allow me to transfer 35mm slides or negatives to video, which can then be transferred to my computer or played back on my television?

If it can, then I could buy a used arri 16mm or 35mm.

You can transfer film to video. I really, strongly (stronger than that!) suggest that you get a few books and do some reading. Otherwise there is a good chance you will be wasting a whole lot of money getting something you don't really want.

For instance, 20K will get you a quite nice used S16 package. Do you know what films costs? Do you know what processing and transfer cost?

Just the same, do you know the difference between the various SD and HD camera that are out? Do you even need HD for what you want? Do you want a 5K HVX or wait for a RED?

What about maintenance of whatever you get? A friend of mine has a very nice aaton 35 package and it gets a couple grand in service a year.

There are just way too many questions for us to answer without knowing where you stand in terms of experience, goals for your work, et cetera. You need to give us more information as well as inform yourself better so you're not at the mercy of a salesguy somewhere.

For your purposes, you might want to look at an HVX200, perhaps, or something in that ballpark. 20 grand can get you a Red, but not soon, and it will only be the body, with no lenses... no nothing.

Based on your post it seems way too early for you to be investing in expensive stuff, IMO.

• Premium Member
For example, what do they use to shoot nip/tuck? What kind of cameras, lenses etc...

Well, you're asking about Nip/Tuck, which is shot on 35mm, and you're posting links to the XL1s, which is a prosumer camera that costs a few thousand dollars and doesn't look anything like 35mm. The cameras used on Nip/Tuck are completely the other end of the spectrum. Those cameras cost in the 100's of thousands of dollars. That's a big range.

You've posted links to cameras you're interested in, but you want to know where to get them online. Do a search. You'll find plenty of places selling them. The reason you're not getting more specific info is because you're not asking very specific questions.

To most people it appears that you don't have much experience and don't really know what you want or need. I think if you spend the time to learn, you'll have more of an idea of what you really need to shoot the kinds of projects you want to shoot.

You said this, "I don't want to go into the technical side of cinematography." If that's the case then you shouldn't be buying a camera. Cameras very much ARE the technical side of cinematography. If you want to avoid the technical side, then owning gear isn't for you.

I think I am asking the wrong people. I know what I need and I know what I can do. Please don't tell me if I am good or not. I did not prove to you that I was nor did I prove to you that I was not. I asked one simple question. What is a good camera to use for my price range. I want to shoot documentaries and short films.

Not a complicated question.

• Premium Member
I think I am asking the wrong people. I know what I need and I know what I can do. Please don't tell me if I am good or not. I did not prove to you that I was nor did I prove to you that I was not. I asked one simple question. What is a good camera to use for my price range. I want to shoot documentaries and short films.

Joseph,

You are talking to the right people! Believe me! You are talking to professional cinematographers for the most part, people making a living everyday in television, feature films, and every other area of the visual industry.

Try not to get tetchy! There is a wealth of information on this forum it would be shame to get yourself excluded.

When you say things like "I do know how to shoot and make films." Most people here will think "so what do you need us for?

As to your question, it really isn't just a matter of listing a number of camera's that would fit your needs, you can get that from any number of

camera suppliers.

As to trusting a brand! I trust myself, a camera is just a tool.

Best of Luck!

Kieran.

Edited by Kieran Scannell

• Premium Member
I think I am asking the wrong people.

If all you want is for people to tell you want you want to hear, then yes, you're definitely asking the wrong people.

I know what I need and I know what I can do.

Then why are you asking? If you know what you need, then go out and buy it.

Please don't tell me if I am good or not.

No one has made any determination of whether you are "good" or not, whatever that means.

I asked one simple question. What is a good camera to use for my price range. I want to shoot documentaries and short films.

If you think it's not a complicated question then you obviously don't know what you're talking about. This camera is in your price range:

pxl_shad.gif

so is this one:

http://i9.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/b5/8b/7b4f_12.JPG

Go make a short film or doc.

@ Brad

Why is it everyone is calm when addressing me but you want to be a degenerate prick.

You are a steadycam operator. That is all you will ever be.

I appriciate all the advice people have given me. If anyone has anymore, please add it.

Thanks

• Premium Member
@ Brad

Why is it everyone is calm when addressing me but you want to be a degenerate prick.

You are a steadycam operator. That is all you will ever be.

I appriciate all the advice people have given me. If anyone has anymore, please add it.

Thanks

As far as I can tell from speaking to him here, Brad is a good operator and a professional. You, clearly, are not, so you might think about closing your mouth and listening. There is a wealth of information to be gathered form this forum but we won't take a bunch of crap like other forums will. This is a duscussion area for professionals and we expect professional behavior.

We're not trying to be difficult but you are posing difficult questions. There is no right camera for everything and you are expecting to get a lot more than you can afford, especially if you don't know how to light and shoot a film well. You say you know how to do those things but, no offense, I don't think you do. If you were already a skilled amateur or a professional you would know what to look for or, at least, what to ask to get the best camera for your purpose that you can afford. We're urging you to do some of your own research because 1.) that is what a smart consumer should do and 2.) we can't read your mind and you are essentially asking us to.

Ask questions like "What would be a good DV camera for a short documentary and costs under $2k" That is something we could answer.

"What is a good camera for me? I know what I'm doing." is not something we can effectively answer.

• Premium Member
Ok know-it-all-beard-man

Explain this to me.

How did he manage to get this look.

The Camera has a fixed lens so you cannot change it. I don't know if an adabptor will do the job and bypass the fixed lens. So how did he do it?

1.) Don't be a snot. Please. <_<

2.) He used one of several 35mm lens adapters. They hold a SLR lens that projects an image into a groundglass. The HVX's lens shoots the image off of the groundglass. Results are mixed. You get depth of field like 35mm film but you also usually get a soft image, often get vignetting, and it's a pain in the ass to pull focus. See redrockmicro.com or pstechnik.de.

• Premium Member
That would explain why some of the other shots I have seen are all or most out of focus and blurry.

How would you pull focus to fix it then?

Is there an alternative to getting a 35mm DOF or is this the best method?

For video this kind of thing is the only method.

The best method to look like 35mm film is to use 35mm film.

If you want to shoot video and have that kind of depth of field, this is your only option. The pro35 is pretty good since it mounts right to the camera rather than to rods and is in front of the camera where the two can move in relation to each other. I have shot with a redrock (and a sony fx1) and it was not a good experience. Soft footage, vignetting, all kinds of focus problems (the groundglass moves minutely when you move the camera) and it is heavy and makes the camera very unwieldy to handhold. I haven't used a pro35 personally but they seem much better designed, built, and are a more professional solution.