Recent new forum members

• Premium Member

I keep wondering why the new members seem to not know that they have to register under a real first and last name. I checked the registration page again to see how clearly the rules are stated before they join. Right off the bat it says:

Forum Terms & Rules

READ THIS - IT'S NOT LONG :)

You must register using your REAL NAME. That means your first name, a space, then your last name. If you don't use your real name, or you register with a name that looks like your real name but we find out is not your real name, your account will be permanently disabled.

After you create your account, you MUST create a signature that will be automatically appended to your posts. The simplest signature will be your name, and we encourage you to add a link to your web site or IMDB profile if you have one.

So the question is... can't people READ? Are they willfully ignoring this rule?

They are probably thinking that its to difficult for someone to police, so they will get away with it... But little do they know that Sheriff Mullen runs these hills.

I'm glad to see new posters, but they gotta get their act right. Real names is one of my favorite features on this forum.

Edited by Chayse Irvin

• Premium Member
They are probably thinking that its to difficult for someone to police, so they will get away with it... But little do they know that Sheriff Mullen runs these hills.

I'm glad to see new posters, but they gotta get their act right. Real names is one of my favorite features on this forum.

I think David's point is there should be no need for a Sheriff Mullen.

My theory is the Internet is a faceless virtual meeting place and because of this everyone treats the internet differently. Some treat it like an amazing place to learn, or share experiences and knowledge, while others treat the internet like a public urinal into which they are about etch their name onto the bathroom stall wall and therefore they prefer a false name.

Until all forums everywhere go with real names some people will always go with a non real name. One down side to real names is when similar or identical looking names appear on a forum, at which point the wisdom of using real names suddenly chaffes just a bit. Other than that, I think real names makes a lot of sense.

It is a bit of a dilemma.

I am entirely in favour of using real names, as I believe(a) it suggests that postings are considered and genuine, and worth answering and (B) it causes people to slow down a little and think before they make comments they may regret later. After all, once your name is on the web, it's hard to get rid of it, and future employers, partners and others may turn up something "unfortunate" in a Google search years down the track.

And that is the double bind. Mindless surfers stay anonymous because they think that's OK, and cautious contributors are fearful of their words coming back to bite them, or of making a fool of themselves. After all, the web is (at surface level) safely anonymous.

Ultimately, you have to believe that if you make a sensible contribution over your real name, it can't be held against you later. On this site, it's not a free choice - you are expected to own up to a real name. If you can't manage that, then you need to retreat to anonymous blogsites.

So the question is... can't people READ? Are they willfully ignoring this rule?

I think a lot of them probably just don't bother reading the rules and just assume its like most other forum rules (since most don't require real names).

I notice that a lot of the noobs here are shabby. Many of them show up, pick a name that does not fit the rules, then they throw up some incredibly vague post in General Discussion titled something like "How do I light outdoor footage?" or "What HD camera is the best?" They only post one or two ridiculously vague sentences with no details, then they don't appear again for a week or so.

• Premium Member
I notice that a lot of the noobs here are shabby. Many of them show up, pick a name that does not fit the rules, then they throw up some incredibly vague post in General Discussion titled something like "How do I light outdoor footage?" or "What HD camera is the best?" They only post one or two ridiculously vague sentences with no details, then they don't appear again for a week or so.

Yes, that seems to be the general trend here. Nobody uses the search function too. We get the same questions every week. That could be included in the rules as well. But I guess it won't do much good if folks will not read and abide by them anyways!

Cheers, Dave

Would it be possible for Tim to create two separate required fields for first and last name on the registration page, where the page is returned to the user if not properly filled out?

What would be even better is if it could actually say something above the 2 fields like "Enter your REAL name here".

Ironically I'm becoming less and less in favour of the real names policy. This is ironic because I've always posted under my real name since before the policy came in!

However in more recent times I've had some bad experiences as a result of using my real name on the internet. :(

Most recently I've come to realise that you can have a problem with things that other people post about you on forums, such as if they insinuate stuff about you or put spin on your posts. You can find yourself in a position where you have to let it stand or deny it, and you might not especially want to do either.

What would be ideal was if real names could be protected in the same way as email addresses are. You could for instance input both a nickname and a real name and then the real name would only show up if you were logged in, otherwise you could only see the nick. Or perhaps if you weren't logged in it would scramble your real name by some algorythm.

Obviously these things would need updates to the actual software I expect but perhaps it might be possible to lobby the developers to add these things as a new feature.

love

Freya

• Premium Member
Would it be possible for Tim to create two separate required fields for first and last name on the registration page, where the page is returned to the user if not properly filled out?

We have the same problem at www.camera-forum.fr, that uses the same board software, and the same "real names" rule.

Unfortunatly, though the idea is very clever, the software doesn't allow that. It was designed for nicknames, you see...

Anyway, you still could have "Mister Swing" to sign in or "Camera Operator"...

What we do is that we just don't validate members in the ACP (the admin control panel) if they don't give a real name. We also chek that the email adress corresponds to the name, eventually make researches on the name as to make sure it's a real person...

I spend a big part of my adminstrating time sending mails to just remind the people "who can't read" that the rule is so and that we don't validate accounts that don't have a real name as the display name...

I think we already discussed that somewhere "else" actually...

I reckon the job is not the same since we only have 2500 members.. and we are a team of 5 persons with administrating rights...

• Premium Member

Having to log in to see real names isn't much of a barrier to someone intent on committing fraud or identify theft -- all they have to do is create their own account using a phony name.

Using your real name in public discourse is a risk, but but so is driving to the grocery store -- or buying things online, using an ATM machine, etc. We either feel we get something from the experience or convenience that makes it worth the risk, or we opt out.

What would be even better is if it could actually say something above the 2 fields like "Enter your REAL name here".

Ironically I'm becoming less and less in favour of the real names policy. This is ironic because I've always posted under my real name since before the policy came in!

However in more recent times I've had some bad experiences as a result of using my real name on the internet. :(

Most recently I've come to realise that you can have a problem with things that other people post about you on forums, such as if they insinuate stuff about you or put spin on your posts. You can find yourself in a position where you have to let it stand or deny it, and you might not especially want to do either.

What would be ideal was if real names could be protected in the same way as email addresses are. You could for instance input both a nickname and a real name and then the real name would only show up if you were logged in, otherwise you could only see the nick. Or perhaps if you weren't logged in it would scramble your real name by some algorythm.

Obviously these things would need updates to the actual software I expect but perhaps it might be possible to lobby the developers to add these things as a new feature.

love

Freya

I agree with you Freya the only people who need to know your real name adress etc is the person running the website who in turn should be given a certificate where they are checked. People should look after their personal information and should make judgements as to who gets it. So often today your information is collected and used for advertisers and anyone else who wants it. The one thing about the internet that makes it special is the fact we have a freedom to do as we like in a disembodied world. The only other place we have that level of freedom is in our imagination. However the internet now is losing that freedom and becoming closely monitored by those wishing to gain and those wishing to enforce rules. Perhaps this forum might be better if it had two levels one for paid subscriptions to talk privately and another as a public library to field questions only. Your details are not just there today but for perhaps a very long time. Those appearing on a public stage usually get paid to do it and are not neccesarily being truthful to who they really are. The other side is when hate campaigns are started against you and that happens everywhere on the net. I must admit when first using forums the level of ferocious attacks on often innocent comments or the level of frustration at a newbies lack of knowledge or gameplay to make someone look silly. Sometimes this can go on for a very long time NOW we all know how bullies make victims look like the roles are reversed and how often people come in after the bullying and see a victim responding angrily to then place the victim on their hit list too. Just watching the treatment of Jim Jannard no matter what people may feel may be or not may be the problem doesnt give an excuse to react back in a chidish fashion. What Jim says here can be held on public record and used out of context now and in the future.. And of course for him that has significance. And at some point this goading and nasty behaviour pushing peoples buttons to achieve a desired effect leading to an outburst that could be used in any future career. You may be cleverer more devious more famous and more adapted to playing on the forums and for that you get rewarded and are immune. OR you could end up having your words follow you through life like an anchor used out of context or even stolen.

Anyway thats the truth and whether you want to use your own name or not the choice should be down to you BUT I do agree the site owner should have your real details. And more than just a name.

Guest Tim Partridge

I think for all new accounts started an automated PM should be sent from David Mullen or Tim Tyler's account, sitting in the new user's PM inbox. The message should detail all of this there, the subject heading a bit less obviously automated than "Greetings!" or whatever.

The phone book is full of real names ! With adresses and phone numbers ! Hopefully we don't have such a thing on the Internet ! :ph34r: (Well, actually, you know there is a yellow pages web site ? What ?) :lol:

I'm actually not in the phone book. ;)

Although you might be suprised to learn that there are other such databases with far more detailed information on the internet too. Preety bad stuff actually.

You bring up a good point however, about how having real names on a forum allows people to then link a person they know through communication to real word data.

love

Freya

Having to log in to see real names isn't much of a barrier to someone intent on committing fraud or identify theft -- all they have to do is create their own account using a phony name.

Using your real name in public discourse is a risk, but but so is driving to the grocery store -- or buying things online, using an ATM machine, etc. We either feel we get something from the experience or convenience that makes it worth the risk, or we opt out.

I really wasn't talking about fraud or identity theft. I know these are popular memes right now because various goverments are trying to bring in various monitoring technologies and databases such as the government here in the u.k are trying to do.

Theres a difference between someone having to log in to see your personal details and someone being able to just pull up a lot of information in a very casual way. I mean people do sign up for mailing lists etc in order to harvest email addresses but it puts a bit of an extra barrier in place. A bit like having a pin number for your bank card is an extra barrier if someone gets hold of your card.

Yes there are risks and I'm suggesting that more could be done to minimise those risks.

love

Freya

I think for all new accounts started an automated PM should be sent from David Mullen or Tim Tyler's account, sitting in the new user's PM inbox. The message should detail all of this there, the subject heading a bit less obviously automated than "Greetings!" or whatever.

Thats a good idea!

love

Freya

Nearly forgot to say. That's the other problem with the whole thing. You can't opt out. Once you are in you are in.

love

Freya

• Premium Member
Nearly forgot to say. That's the other problem with the whole thing. You can't opt out. Once you are in you are in.

love

Freya

Sure you can opt out -- leave this forum and change your email address, turn off your computer, cut up your credit cards, get rid of the cell phone, move into the mountains, etc. If you are really afraid of posting here, afraid of the fall-out, then why do you keep posting? Won't that just makes things worse, increase the likelihood of something bad happening?

• Premium Member

I got a call from American Express the other day. They called to tell me that someone had tried to use my credit card # 4 times, and that they had blocked the sale because they were suspicious. Did that person get my card # through this site? No. Did they get it online? Probably not. They probably got it at a restaurant or somewhere else that I actually used my card. My point is, as David already alluded to, is that you can get information stolen from you no matter what you do. Remember those one million credit card #'s thieves stole from TJ Max a year or two ago? They did it by hacking into TJ Max's system wirelessly while sitting in a car outside of one of the stores. People will find ways to steal no matter what. And they don't need to find your name on this website to do it.

Sure you can opt out -- leave this forum and change your email address, turn off your computer, cut up your credit cards, get rid of the cell phone, move into the mountains, etc. If you are really afraid of posting here, afraid of the fall-out, then why do you keep posting? Won't that just makes things worse, increase the likelihood of something bad happening?

There aren't really any mountains much here in England ;) and theres not so much in the way of options to be self sufficient and completely outside the system if that is what you are implying. :) I think theres probably more places to hide in the united states! What you are describing here I think is what we usually call "dropping out" as opposed to being able to opt out! ;)

I was of course talking about opting out of cinematography.com, which I assumed (perhaps wrongly) was what you meant.

As I said before, something bad already did happen, a couple of things actually.

Keeping posting won't neccesarily increase the likelihood of something bad happening (I get the impression you might be hoping I would stop posting and go away!) ;) preciesly because I have no power to delete / amend existing information. This is what I mean by the fact I can't opt out. I have no power to remove information or correct it. It's a one time thing, once you are in, you are in and can't really leave. You are familiar with the story of Pandoras box I assume? (Intel Inside!) To a large extent the damage has already been done in my case and theres only some things that I can do to resolve the situation to some extent or another. I am however starting to make changes to the kind of posting that I'm prepared to engage in for the future.

You are right I can make some changes to my situation too, such as changing my address (moving house), and that will be something I will be desperately trying to do shortly. To be honest, if I don't manage to do so then I'm not too optimistic about the future, but sadly my situation is very bad at this point and it isn't that easy to escape. I am making a number of other changes to resolve the situation that I'm currently in too.

The risks are real, and it's best to not be too flagrant about them and to dismiss them but to go into things with an eye to safety and minimising the risks. That goes for all things such as driving a car etc.

That was why I was making suggestions for improving the forum software.

love

Freya