Dollies

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

Hypothetically - well, at least I'm claiming it's hypothetically - hypothetically I'm looking at getting hold of a dolly of some sort.

Something a bit up from the key west/suitcase dolly sort of thing, with metal track and all, but not exactly a Fisher 10.

What am I looking for in a dolly of this type?

P

• Premium Member

I don't know, that's the thing. As far as I know a dolly is a platform on wheels that runs on track; beyond that, I'm not even that familiar with the market. Jib arms and things are fun but probably overkill, though I'm not that keen on having to zip-tie my tripod to the thing (though perhaps it'd be nice to be able to put the fluid head from it on the dolly).

I suspect all of this is many thousands of units of currency, though, and I'm really interested in what everyone else wants from a dolly, on the basis that this will only happen if I can convince myself it might rent out - though of course that's a can of worms of its own.

P

Sounds like you are looking for a doorway dolly. It'll cost you between $1k-$2k USD depending on the brand (I suggest Modern Studio's dolly for it's price.) If you are going to run that on metal track, you'll need skater wheels (also called "bogie wheels" and "sleds"). That's about another $1k for a set of those. And lastly, you just have to buy track.

Matthew

• Premium Member
I don't know, that's the thing. As far as I know a dolly is a platform on wheels that runs on track; beyond that, I'm not even that familiar with the market. Jib arms and things are fun but probably overkill, though I'm not that keen on having to zip-tie my tripod to the thing (though perhaps it'd be nice to be able to put the fluid head from it on the dolly).

I suspect all of this is many thousands of units of currency, though, and I'm really interested in what everyone else wants from a dolly, on the basis that this will only happen if I can convince myself it might rent out - though of course that's a can of worms of its own.

P

It's a tricky investment for a cameraman Phil, I've often thought about it but never found a solid reason for doing it.

Especially when I can hire a professional grip, panther dolly (older but excellent kit) and track for 350 euro a day.

Plus good grips are invaluable allies on a set they´re McGivers they can make life a lot easier.

As Matthew has already stated It´s a substantial investment but if you have an outlet you might make money eventually.

Kieran.

• Premium Member

I did quite a lot of research into this recently and looked at various options,everybody has different requirements,but in the end I bought a

Ronford Baker modular Bazooka with the skateboard wheels, Ronford track and a Panther Vario Jib. I'm mainly studio based,so it fitted my needs perfectly. Big investment though,I spent just over £11k GDP,really well made heavy duty kit,which I can expand to suit different jobs.

Phil,PM me if you want to take a look at it.

Tom.

• 10 months later...

You may want to look at Premier Studio Systems dollies: http://www.premierstudioequipment.com/Products/Dollies.html

We own two of them, and they have held up nice. And the price - From $5000 to $27,000 for a pneumatic crab dolly - is unmatched anywhere as far as I know.

I don't work for them, but we do own two of their dollies and I've been very happy with them for the past few years. Not a problem.

M

Hello Phil,

When you are hypothetical in the market of buying a dolly I would consider the following:

1) its not only the Gear but also the Guy (or doll) who does the job properly. If you own a Panther or Moviola or a lease fisher or chapman that does not improve your shooting dramatically upwards; it is also the person who is working with it.

2) If you get yourself a workable dolly at a low price range it is easier to delete your own dolly from the equipment-list and get a decent dolly with a decent grip!

I have been around already for some bbq's and rental. When a crew hires a doorway from my shop I always send out a flatbed scateboard dolly as well (free of charge) Most of the times I see the doorway being returned to the shop without the trackwheels being used, meaning they have used the scateboard dolly.

Most of the available doorways (= matador = argus = ? = ?) are multi-purpose dolly's with concessions in use:

if you want airtires; get a dolly like the westerndolly or a wheelchair.

If you want to run on tracks; get a trackdolly.

My best bet would be a piece of 25mm plywood and scatewheels from Willys widgets. The "16-Wheel Swivel Set for 90° Track" would be my best bet. Okay, you will need to strap down your tripod and no seats available but that could be an item for your next birthday. If you need to add a jib you can always rent a jib with bazooka-base and just strap it down.

When it comes to track: just buy good ones, no pvc or similar.

Good Luck,

Onno

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

this is a question I've been wondering too, there seem to be so many varieties on the market at different price ranges it's hard to tell what's a good investment.

I'm aware of the Indie Dolly:

http://www.indiedolly.com/

it looks well engineered and accessible in terms of price....here's a more detailed overview on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI3y4Ie8Jzo

MICRO DOLLY

also looks pretty portable and useful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSAUyyph9uA

I've also checked out tripod mounted camera movement systems which allow the operator to create the move by themselves, I think there are a few on the market but I've looked at the glidetrack:

Cheers guys,

I'm still undecided between a bit of extra cash for a dolly with track or a two metre glidetrack that is shorter but in some ways more versatile than a traditional dolly system,

Grant :)

I just picked up a McAllister crab dolly that is amazing. The first thing I LOVE about it is the riser is hydraulic so it can be adjusted to whatever height you want!! It weighs in at about 600 LBs so it's not for the faint of heart but if you want smooth dolly moves according to David Lynch, you need a heavy dolly. My DP is fairly certain we can fabricate a set of skateboard wheels on a frame we can roll the dolly onto. III'DDD recommend an old Moviola or a Mc Allister although I have seen some other vintage dollies on ebay in that 2 to 6 grand range that were marvelous. B)

The Indie-Dolly really looks flimsy. I can't image a DP sitting on that bicycle seat. The website has little or no specs on the product, especially the adjustable height column. With a rig like that, you aren't going to be able to use an camera offset or get a "worms eye" view with the camera. Black anodized parts, don't make up for features the product lack.