I've been Banned from Reduser

Stephen Williams

• Premium Member

I was amused to log in today & see the following message

"You have been banned for the following reason:

No reason was specified."

I had been asking about Epic specs 100fps @ 5K, pointing out Red One had a spec of 60fps @ 4k , I guess the truth hurts.

Brook Willard one of their moderators was banned last year when he laughed at one of their designs.

Stephen

Edit, I have sent Jim Jannard a link, the last communication I have from him is dated 01.01.2010

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
On the bright side of things, perhaps the board on here might pick up with red-talk (in a civil and professional manner) if more folks get banned from red-user. Though that's a bit screwed up on their part.

I received an email from a member yesterday who wrote:-

"I was actually thinking of starting a new thread on Cinematography.com, mentioning the possible need for pruning of some "dead wood", as in deleting folders for products that either no longer exist, or nobody seems interested in posting about anymore. You know, Kinetta, Dalsa, RED..."

:lol:

• Premium Member

I had been asking about Epic specs 100fps @ 5K, pointing out Red One had a spec of 60fps @ 4k , I guess the truth hurts.

Brook Willard one of their moderators was banned last year when he laughed at one of their designs.

Stephen

Edit, I have sent Jim Jannard a link, the last communication I have from him is dated 01.01.2010

Oh dear. Any day now you'll have some weary and rather shopworn-looking private detective knocking on your door (while looking nervously around for surveillance cameras and not seeing them), carrying a letter obviously typed up by a junior in a law firm specializing in Intellectual property, that demands a written apology to a certain person, as like as not to be received before close of business "no later than" {two days previous to the date at the top of the letter}!

(The above scenario is fictional, but is based on actual events, that are even sillier).

Meanwhile Christopher Probst who has "so far used the Red to photograph more than 50 music videos and commercials." so he doesn't exactly sound like a die hard Red-Hater, writes an Article for American Cinematographer which was no more than a matter-of-fact discussion of traps and pitfalls of the RED one, and practical workarounds that are available, and all the Fanboys were baying for his blood.

"Red One Slammed in AC" as the indefatigable Mr Justic put it.

• Premium Member
Oh dear. Any day now you'll have some weary and rather shopworn-looking private detective knocking on your door (while looking nervously around for surveillance cameras and not seeing them), carrying a letter obviously typed up by a junior in a law firm specializing in Intellectual property, that demands a written apology to a certain person, as like as not to be received before close of business "no later than" {two days previous to the date at the top of the letter}!

(The above scenario is fictional, but is based on actual events, that are even sillier).

If they write in German the local launguage in Switzerland, I will post it here and ask for a translation.

• Premium Member
If they write in German the local launguage in Switzerland, I will post it here and ask for a translation.

If ve do not receive ein written apology before the close of der business on Freitag…

First, ve will annex der Rhineland;

Zen ve will invade Poland;

Und zen ve vill attack der Soviet Union

Und zen … ve vill probably get der sheisse kicked out us by zer Englanders und der Americans again, BUT, ve vill haff made out point, I zinc.

So, chust you vatch it...

Edited by Keith Walters

• Premium Member
Meanwhile Christopher Probst who has "so far used the Red to photograph more than 50 music videos and commercials." so he doesn't exactly sound like a die hard Red-Hater, writes an Article for American Cinematographer which was no more than a matter-of-fact discussion of traps and pitfalls of the RED one, and practical workarounds that are available, and all the Fanboys were baying for his blood.

"Red One Slammed in AC" as the indefatigable Mr Justic put it.

That was actually a great article detailing all of the things people who actually work with the RED in real world environments have been dealing with since it debuted. Anyone who considers it a 'slam' is an a**hat.

One of these days I'm going to set up a Reduser account, just to see if I can beat Richard Boddington's 42 minute record for First Post to "The Last Post" :rolleyes:

Are you sure I lasted that long? Jarred was pretty fast on the trigger for that one.

The hilarious thing was that I was able to re-register with another e-mail address within minutes, under a new name. Then I came on here and refused to tell Jarred who I really was :lol:

So feel free to do that Stephen, you naughty naughty boy!!

For Phil Rhodes on the other hand they have a shoot on site order at Red User :blink:

Just for the record I think Jim on a personal level is a good guy.

R,

• Premium Member

Christopher Probst does not deserve the scorn being heaped upon him over at RedUser for writing an article that was completely factual, just because it was too blunt and lacked a politically-correct happy spin to it.

People say "why didn't the magazine publish an article about other technologies and point out their faults equally?" Well, sure, we can all list the problems we've had with film cameras, labs, other digital cameras, but the real question is whether the Red One in its first two years of existence was any more problematical than typical filmmaking gear or not?

My own experience says that the Red One was somewhat buggier overall than a Genesis, let's say, but not enough to not use the Red One, and not as bad as its detractors would say. But I can't say it was no different either than using any other camera system. It was more problematic to use. And Jim Jannard himself has admitted that the camera and the company are a work-in-progress.

What really matters today is that Red's technology keeps improving. Even though all the builds and changes can get tiring or annoying, a change towards the better is always preferable to the status quo. And the end result of all of that toil, with the new MX sensor, is a seriously good digital camera now.

A lot of people have claimed that the Red One made shooting in 35mm obsolete. My feeling was that the generation or two after the Red One and Genesis would be more of a true competitor and replacement to 35mm. Though I think that film will always have uniquely special qualities to it, and will remain unmatched in dynamic range, I also feel that probably with the future Epics and ARRI Alexa, people will be happy enough with their pictures that they won't be missing film as much as they currently are when they can't shoot it. With these upcoming cameras, the dynamic range and resolution will be high enough then to create an impressive image on the big screen. And then the generation after the Epic and Alexa will probably be the final nail in the coffin for film, except for perhaps special uses. Don't quote me on that though, I don't like playing the prediction game too seriously.

But it's the honesty of the users in reporting problems that forces these manufacturers to improve their products, so we need people like Christopher or Stephen to keep being blunt and direct as long as they aren't unfair or inaccurate.

• Premium Member
What really matters today is that Red's technology keeps improving. Even though all the builds and changes can get tiring or annoying, a change towards the better is always preferable to the status quo. And the end result of all of that toil, with the new MX sensor, is a seriously good digital camera now.

Hi David,

In the same thread I had written "MX is most impressive, would be happy to shoot with a camera with one installed."

As Deanen pointed out "Actually, 4k at 60fps does get used in open gate mode to drive the evf at double rate." so I am sure if I asked very nicely RED could sell me a RED One with a RAW port & 4K enabled.

Stephen

• Premium Member

Awwww...

You've been un-banned!

Pictures or it didn't happen?

Fortunately, for those who missed it, here's a screen grab I prepared earlier:

bannede.gif

• Premium Member
I came across the banning thread at REDUser yesterday and I couldn't see why anyone should be banned for what was in there.

Hi Brian,

On reflection I think the problem is my level of expectation when shooting 'almost as good as film'.

I was asked by a Director to help him out on a TV show taking over as the DOP in January, 1 day a week, 4 EX3's shot simultainousely recorded on hard drives. I am absolutely blown away by the images lit with tungsten light, there is no post grading just light & shoot, having full control of the look of my images again is wonderful.

Stephen

This reminds me of when I was a child playing football (soccer).

There was always one kid (who the ball belonged to) who didn't like the way the game was panning out. So he would grab his ball and without any reasoning would go home.

Essentially killing the game for others.

I've been keeping an eye out in the last couple of months for most of the Red posts on CML.

As David has pointed out, the new MX MYSTERIUM, or maybe is it HISTERIUM, seems to be a really good piece of work from them.

But to ban someone from speaking their constructive mind on a FORUM just seems like pure BIG BROTHER dictatorship.

More surprisingly also, as they're constantly trying to calm down the flames of disgust about their product and methods, by saying that it is through all types of feedback that they'll improve their product, and ways of marketing.

Hmmmm......