Need to contact Cinelab RIGHT NOW

Matt Stevens

Gang, does anyone have weekend Contact info for CINELAB in MA? Their phone goes to weekend VM and there is no response to my emails.

I sent my film to them yesterday via USPS, insured and at an amount that requires the package to be handed to a person. But the Postal delivery person left it "on porch" today according to delivery information. Needless to say, I am in an absolute complete panic here. My project, which cost me every penny that I have to my name, will be toast if the box is stolen or destroyed by the elements. WTF!!!!!

I had it shipped priority, so it should have arrived on Monday, G*d d@mmit. I cannot believe my insane misfortune. This is the biggest project of my life and at the moment is at risk of being completely destroyed.

Edited by Matt Stevens

• Site Sponsor

There is no "porch" at Cinelab it's a big old New England mill building, our local USPS usually delivers it to our indoor window box on the second floor or holds packages till the next business day if they can't get into the building.

I'm sure it will be fine. But going forward some friendly advice, never ever ship on a Friday. You never know what will happen over a weekend. Always ship via FedEx or UPS, never use the postal service no matter how cheap or competent they sound. They can never match the level of service the professional couriers can offer.

R,

The film was just delivered to Cinelab by the USPS, the info from them that they had left it Saturday was not correct.

:lol: USPS doesn't get a very good press, does it?

How on earth did they manage to update the tracking info without the package in their hands?

We always use Fedex, had bad experiences with UPS into Paris. Depends on the local people I guess. Did you contact customer service?

So far, nothing beats the service we got from Chronopost, not entirely their fault. A brand new blow-up print for a feature was shipped to a Paris suburb for subtitling. In Malakoff, France, the van was robbed by armed men, everything valuable was taken out, the van was then burned with the film inside. We made an new print in emergency, it was subtitled, not robbed and sent in time to the Cannes festival where it won the main award in its category (Camera d'Or).

• Premium Member

If you really like to gamble, try sending it via USPS Media Mail. Remember, motion picture film qualifies for this amazingly inexpensive transportation method. I've shipped 16mm movies weighing like 15 lbs. for less than $10.

Never had anything lost (knocking on wood right now) but it can sometimes take a week to get somewhere.

Good luck with the postal workers trying to explain what Media Mail is...especially when you have film. They usually say no, then I have to tell them to get their supervisor who at first says no then I say look it up and they come back and say, "oh, you're right!". Funny since it was originally made for transporting educational films around the U.S. back in the 60's and 70's.