First Shot - Name the Movie

Daniel Meier

• Premium Member

I just guessed from the over all look .. just had to be that film..

Sure, it's an obvious image, easily recognized -- I'm pretty sure the opening shot of "Dr. Zhivago", from memory, is a wide landscape shot of a snowy mountain range as the funeral party, in the distance, carries Yuri's mother's coffin to the graveyard.

• Premium Member

You made me curious here, who is that movie from "the most highly acclaimed movies ever done in the known universe"? :)

Tarkovsky, Eisenstein come to my mind as authors of such a movie. "The cranes are flying" by Mikhail Kalatozov maybe...

But nothing matched regarding the years you've clued us in...

So really eager to hear about the director and movie of such high stature.

As for the quiz movie, i don't know.

Regards

I.

Here is the third shot of the movie.. the director is one of those directors your mentioned..

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-01%20at%2014.46.

Have a good day!

Here is the third shot of the movie.. the director is one of those directors your mentioned..

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-01%20at%2014.46.

Have a good day!

"Letter Never Sent" 1959 by Kalatozov/Urusevsky

Gotta check that one.

Then the next BIG influential film is "I Am Cuba" 1964. Ahh... another title on the to watch list... :)

• Premium Member

Here's the first two shots of the opening:

opening24.jpg

opening25.jpg

Since I'm away from home on location, you're getting an idea of what blu-rays I took with me...

Those have a 40s look...

• Premium Member

"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again. It seemed to me I stood by the iron gate leading to the drive, and for a while I could not enter, for the way was barred to me. There was a padlock and a chain upon the gate."

"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again. It seemed to me I stood by the iron gate leading to the drive, and for a while I could not enter, for the way was barred to me. There was a padlock and a chain upon the gate."

Ah Rebecca !.. I was thinking Citizen kane for a moment .. also old gate opening shots

Edited by Robin R Probyn

It's too easy to cheat at that point with internet search gigerypokery.

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/entertainment/books/the-best-opening-lines-in-literature-ever-80220