Do you agree with this guy's opinion?

Hrishikesh Jha

Paul Jackson at Panavision Sydney told me that Kodak is considering opening a lab in Australia but would need a major picture to come and shoot on film. If that happened, improved scanning and all around better infrastructure for film shooters would follow.

• Premium Member

Paul Jackson at Panavision Sydney told me that Kodak is considering opening a lab in Australia but would need a major picture to come and shoot on film. If that happened, improved scanning and all around better infrastructure for film shooters would follow.

Well fingers firmly crossed. Because it's all pretty dire at the moment.

• Premium Member

It's been my experience that, as a DP, one should always say that film is preferred. Even when you know it will never happen.

When I get asked whether I prefer film or digital, my short answer is that I like the process of shooting digitally but I like the results of shooting on film.

One could say that results are all that matters, but that's not completely true, filmmaking is a process and sometimes digital suits the logistical and creative needs of the project better in terms of the day to day production.

You really should work with someone who is your artistic ally. All the BS and attitude against film is counter productive. Find a new partner shoot film. You should also know that RED cameras can be a nightmare on set and in post. S16mm scanned to prores is a very easy workflow and can be cheap,

On another note here about production in India, I am sure that other posters here from India will know more about the current film production trends in India. But from my knowledge film [celluloid] has been used widely throughout the 1990’s and 2000’s, in the 2000’s DI became popular, only in the last few years there has been an increase in digital acquisition and digital has been getting more popular as a result there have been some lab closures. Despite this many are still shooting film, the thing is film production in India is vast with so many films being made not just in Mumbai but in various Indian regions and it seems regional film production is increasing. Film acquisition is also continuing and there seems to be a growing trend in mainstream film production which use both digital and film. I am aware that Kodak is planning opening up a film lab in Mumbai again.

Pav

"When I get asked whether I prefer film or digital, my short answer is that I like the process of shooting digitally but I like the results of shooting on film.

One could say that results are all that matters, but that's not completely true, filmmaking is a process and sometimes digital suits the logistical and creative needs of the project better in terms of the day to day production."

This is a very good response David. I was being a little bit "tongue in cheek" with my answer. More about marketing than practical. There seems to be a perception that "real artists" would always prefer film. If one wants to be viewed as an artist, say you prefer film. I think there's some truth to it:)

"When I get asked whether I prefer film or digital, my short answer is that I like the process of shooting digitally but I like the results of shooting on film.

One could say that results are all that matters, but that's not completely true, filmmaking is a process and sometimes digital suits the logistical and creative needs of the project better in terms of the day to day production."

This is a very good response David. I was being a little bit "tongue in cheek" with my answer. More about marketing than practical. There seems to be a perception that "real artists" would always prefer film. If one wants to be viewed as an artist, say you prefer film. I think there's some truth to it:)

I also think that there is some truth to film being more "artistic". I also think that particular perception is unfair to digital. David is spot on. However, Kodak's film worthy campaign is also spot on. Whenever I have overheard of been part of a discussions on set over format, when it is film, people say, "now we are making a real movie". Correct or not, fair or not, film has much more gravitas, clout and cache than any other format and that is not counting the technical aspects.