Telecine/2k scans prices in Uk v USA v Spain

Stephen Perera

thanks for all the info

HD telecine / 2k scan really varies a lot by shop. Cinelab in boston posts their rates online, which are by the ft. most other places seem to be by labor hour, but the per ft scan/hd telecine rates for 16mm seem to range from .20/ft to .60/ft depending on the shop, the volume of stock, the type of scanner (spirit, arriscan, lasergraphics etc). and if you need keycode or anything else embedded in your files

keep in mind these are rough numbers and calling to get quotes will get you an accurate number for a given shop.

• Premium Member

Cinelab Boston is inexpensive and does really great work. I do almost all of my lab work with them and the results have been good.

Their best deals are processing and transfer deals as a "bundle" which maybe ok for some instances, but in others it maybe better to process locally. Cinelab does a lot of business with Europe.

Pricing is like .32/ft for S16 process and transfer HD

AFAIK, all couriers x-ray shipped items when it is sent as air freight. So unless you have a local lab (quite few have these days in Europe) you are going to have some x-ray effects on your footage. Even if you are sending it within EU.

However, I have sent S16 to US for processing and telecine and I cannot see any damage. So if it has been x-rayed, it is so low powered that it hasn't really affected it.

• Premium Member

thanks Heikki and everyone else in this magnificent resource cinematography.com......it so happens there are a few labs in Spain....I can just send film by land courier no probs.....just wanted to check prices really and how they compare....