Stop a moment and think of Geoff Boyle...

Frank Wylie

As someone who is practicing cinematography, Geoff's work and videos on cookeoptics has been some of the most informative and biggest inspiration for my learning process, I am very grateful for what he have contributed to the cinematography community. I have been following his battle with cancer on his blogs so I'm glad he is able to choose his on way of going out and I wish him the best, Rest In Peace.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

yes Geoff is a loss....I enjoyed his British sensibilities and ways and sense of humour and especially when he was being grumpy! haha Did not have the pleasure of knowing him personally though, only through CML

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.google.com/search?q=geoff+boyle&client=tablet-android-samsung-nf-rev1&prmd=nivx&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjD8Oeh-oT0AhXMmmoFHWnSCu0Q_AUoAnoECAIQAg

I hope he made an effort to preserve his Archive...online, open content and hi res. Many people donate collections to institutions and that is that. Hardly anybody will ever see it again. 

I never knew him. So I have no connection with him or knew of his work. 

But let me say this...

1)  A lot of us are getting old. You got archival material that needs to be preserved, you have no one to preserve it with or know who to leave it to? Leave it to me. I will scan it, put it online and find an appropriate institution to place it with. (As a donation.) I have massive experience in this area.

The only catch is; I like photos, video / film, audio. I'm not much for text. But I do preserve text as long as the entire Archive is nothing but text.

2)  If you are old, or young, got nothing to do with your money and want to invest in underground and above ground film preservation. Leave me enough to buy a cheap Lasergraphics film scanner. I'd be glad to memorialize your name on the work I produce in the Archive. I get millions of eyeballs per year looking at my work and also  for memorializing you. But, Google me first, you many not want to be associated with the Archive and wish to remain anonymous. 

3)  For the rest of you that don't want to leave me your Archive to preserve or help me buy a scanner, that is OK. But think about what I've told you over the years about the importance of archival preservation. 

This guy seemed to have some time to make arrangements before he died. We are not all that lucky. One day you won't wake up and that will be that. Your stuff may end up being grabbed by pickers to split up on eBay or it may end up in the nearest dumpster. Just no telling unless you have made arrangements for it.

But...one thing is for sure...

Whatever you got in your head will be gone. Oral history, video / film history, written history...get it down before it is too late.

...one day, you just won't wake up again.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.