Eclair Flea Market

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

(Not my auction) - an Alcan 54, even one as beat up as this one, is a rare sight for sure - someone should grab this and hope that it works better than it looks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275966651460

(For the historical record,  since ebay links die after a few months, it's a battered but complete looking example for $195 Buy It Now, or Make Offer, from a seller in New Jersey)

Duncan

• Premium Member

What is it with these Eclair parts-you-never-see-for-sale-separately all showing up on ebay?  This time it's an NPR Kinoptik viewfinder in decent shape (no rubber eyecup) for $200 Buy It Now or Make Offer, located in Masschussetts:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115871609129

Someone grab that before I do, just on priniciple!

Duncan

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Duncan Brown said:

What is it with these Eclair parts-you-never-see-for-sale-separately all showing up on ebay? 

Not to be morbid, but the generation that bought and used this stuff new is getting-on in years...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Duncan Brown said:

What is it with these Eclair parts-you-never-see-for-sale-separately all showing up on ebay?  This time it's an NPR Kinoptik viewfinder in decent shape (no rubber eyecup) for $200 Buy It Now or Make Offer, located in Masschussetts:

Duncan

I also have a nice npr kinoptik viewfinder I’ll sell for even cheaper than that!

• Premium Member

Just so I have this straight - for NPR, the latest Angenieux is the preferred finder... but for ACL, the latest Kinoptik is the better finder? 

I know on the ACL, the Angenieux and Kinoptik use different mounts.  Is that the same case with the NPR?  Or do the two interchange directly in the NPR era? 

Duncan

20 minutes ago, Duncan Brown said:

Just so I have this straight - for NPR, the latest Angenieux is the preferred finder... but for ACL, the latest Kinoptik is the better finder? 

I know on the ACL, the Angenieux and Kinoptik use different mounts.  Is that the same case with the NPR?  Or do the two interchange directly in the NPR era? 

Duncan

Yes, although a later Angenieux for the ACL is also orientable but more fiddly to use as you have to redress the image after rotating the viewfinder .  The Kinoptik ACL finder is turn and go.  I would say it is brighter, too.

2 hours ago, steven jackson said:

Yes, although a later Angenieux for the ACL is also orientable but more fiddly to use as you have to redress the image after rotating the viewfinder .  The Kinoptik ACL finder is turn and go.  I would say it is brighter, too.

Missed the second question.  My memory is that the npr had a single mount for either viewfinder.  

I am an ACL 1 filmmaker in search of an upgrade. I recently DP'd a short film and found that the non-orientable viewfinder was a tough work around, and the director asked if I could get a video tap next time.

I have entertained the idea of jumping to an SR2, but I want to see if I can keep it in the ACL family because I have 3 400' mags, Nikon and CA1 mounts w/ lenses and batteries. I love the camera!

ACL 2 with a Heavy-Duty motor and Orientable viewfinder would be great, and if possible, a lead to where I could get a video tap.

Thanks folks!

2 hours ago, Cailin Tamplin said:

I am an ACL 1 filmmaker in search of an upgrade. I recently DP'd a short film and found that the non-orientable viewfinder was a tough work around, and the director asked if I could get a video tap next time.

I have entertained the idea of jumping to an SR2, but I want to see if I can keep it in the ACL family because I have 3 400' mags, Nikon and CA1 mounts w/ lenses and batteries. I love the camera!

ACL 2 with a Heavy-Duty motor and Orientable viewfinder would be great, and if possible, a lead to where I could get a video tap.

Thanks folks!

Hi Cailin,

There's this for sale in Germany, would probably check quite many boxes:

https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/eclair-acl-ii-mit-videotap-und-lcd-motor-display-18-90-t2-lens/2482475825-245-19159?fbclid=IwAR016JkiS9dExkHlIwE-sFnHKFdhZg7oxxtjG2V0fbAF7SAnCRCT611rIGs

As you can see, it features a video tap made by AZ Spectrum. One ACL owner I know is currently getting an HD tap there as well.

• Premium Member
On 7/28/2023 at 12:33 PM, Cailin Tamplin said:

Thanks folks!

And let's not forget Gregg's kit a few posts back (if it's still available... which if I had more money, it would not be ? )

Duncan

1 minute ago, Duncan Brown said:

And let's not forget Gregg's kit a few posts back (if it's still available... which if I had more money, it would not be ? )

Duncan

As it  happens, my ACL super16 was a Chris Squires owned camera, also converted by Paul at Visual Products.

On 7/31/2023 at 5:13 AM, Duncan Brown said:

Duncan

I reached out to him a while back (month or so?) He says he has a sale pending, though previous sales have lapsed several times for him. I should probably check in with him again.

• Premium Member

Looks like a very well equipped ACL II, but not nearly enough details in the description or pictures (seller is no expert on these things) and clearly has no idea of the prevailing prices on these because that price is beyond dreaming.  But maybe he'll come down on price some day, maybe someone could talk him through determining if it's been S16 modified, etc.

Located in Chapel Hill, NC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256170890547?hash=item3ba4f99533

Duncan

• Premium Member
On 7/27/2023 at 6:01 AM, Duncan Brown said:

Duncan

He dropped the price to $120 (with no Make Offer option any longer) so I snagged it.  No, I have no current need for it.  Though in my world you never know when a nice NPR with no viewfinder is going to drop into your lap (it has literally already happened once already), so Always Be Prepared!

Duncan

• Premium Member

Not everyone has Facebook, but if you do here's a pretty decent NPR rig with the rarely-seen Alsa XL-24 motor, a nice Angenieux 12-120 zoom, I think the Angenieux finder, a couple of mags, etc, at a pretty decent price ($2400) in Colorado in the US.  (Not mine, obviously!  Just passing along the info.)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2542382232590833/

Duncan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Another probably-overpriced-but-certainly-appealing NPR kit on ebay in LA.  Perfectone Compact (crystal sync) motor, Angenieux viewfinder, Bernie-brightened screen (just regular-16 though), 3 400-foot magazines with two covers, standard C- and Cameflex mounts, but with the Arri-B adapter with setscrews that lets it take Arri-S lenses.  Says it works great, but no battery or cable in evidence, so there's that.  $3600 or Make Offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325780641216?hash=item4bda0a15c0

Duncan

On 4/2/2023 at 11:00 AM, Gregg MacPherson said:

Eclair ACL II kit and 3x400' mags for sale

I'm selling most of, possibly all of, my Eclair ACL gear....An almost new ACL II kit, and separately, 3x400' French mags.

I just have too many, especially unfinished, projects (sailplane development, velomobile design... house falling apart). So I have to let some things go. I may keep my spare ACLII body and motor to build another kit. I am keeping my Bolexs and an old 35mm Cineflex. Moving pictures, akin to graphic art, painting, conceptual sculpture are the real kernel that may remain.

It's difficult to set a price, so for now I'm seeking offers. The only useful reference I can find on price is a recent eBay sale for USD5K, eBay item number:266036424167 (I'll paste a link down below). But that kit was more used and less well optioned. Meanwhile people on the forum have advertised their XTRs at north of 20K and 27K. We can start a sidebar somewhere on the relative value or usefulness of these cameras.

All the interesting questions and any sidebars into Eclair esoterica belong on this thread, but I will advertise on the Cinemarketplace thread.....
https://cinematography.com/index.php?/forums/topic/98122-eclair-acl-ii-kit-and-3x400-mags-for-sale/

Direct message me with any offers or serious enquiries.

3) S16 ACL II kit, (seeking offers).  Sold, pending payment, $8000 (with 1x400', 2x200' S16 mags)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iv95oerahx3929f/AADPd-7BkrctDPv78WjwtDlDa?dl=0

1262800645_20230214_1643091.thumb.jpg.3edce96ca8cd77cdba4e1b267d4770e1.jpg

S16 ACL II kit in almost new condition. I didn't get to use it. The guy I got it from (Chris Squires), when he got it I don't know if it had ever been used, it still had the Eclair factory test film with it. He shot a couple of short films with it. Anyway, looks brand new. Conversion was started by Les Bosher then done over and finished by Paul at Visual Products. Good mounts and accessories. It's been a few years since its last lubrication so I think that should be refreshed. 

S16 ACL II kit package includes...

- ACL II camera body, #2730 (Visual Products full S16 conversion),
- Heavy duty 75fps motor, all crystal speeds, mirror parking, #2954,
- Replacement electronic mother board for motor, 
- 3x200' magazines (2 are S16), with caps, late model with small insert pressure plate over gate, #s D128,    D249, and D98,
- Kinoptik viewfinder, #95675
- ACL/PL adaptor
- ACL/Arri SB adaptor
- AZ Spectrum video assist, B&W, SN417, with power cable,
- PL front cap, C mount front cap, DIY Arri-B front cap, 2x gate protectors, 
- 15mm rod base (with cutouts for switch access), rods with extensions (Les B.)
- Factory top handle,  
- Anatomical hand grip with on-off, 
- Barney, a little tight with a 400' mag,
- Battery power cables..Jaeger/Canon XLR4, 2x short ones for on-board, 2x long spiral,
- 4 on-board battery packs, NiCad cells. One pack may be OK. I'm assuming the buyer will want  to recell      with NiMhi. 
- Eclair quick charger (NiCad), 

4) 3x400' French ACL mags, (seeking offers).  One 400' S16 mag sold, pending payment, still undecided if I will sell the rest.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ycbv8azk5q3xih4/AABZgXIWIb7vXemO_QQtr8sOa?dl=0

3x 400' French mags, late model with small insert pressure plate over the gate. Quite tidy looking. Two are S16, machining looks really nice. My guess is that they will all need fresh lubrication, but that is all they should need if given CLA. These mags didn't come with the kit above, so probably selling them separately.
Label and serial numbers are...
- Pat 1 #SD-503, with cap, S16,
- Pat 2 #SD-296, with cap, S16,
- FR3   #SC-797, no cap,

This is the link to the ACL 1.5 sold on eBay, item number:266036424167,
(I messaged the seller to get the sale price)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266036424167?hash=item3df101ade7:g:P5IAAOSwDT5jlfta&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoGHF1cBoZJdD%2BiRbyHvpUojfoH%2BEOYnfEQVYU7aAoV%2FeovlFRCfnMKGQmDAwxV10vlA1n4MyvlmQ8aBmBs3GgDyxQjRD8Qpbfq3g1mcw1iW1z2wD7kGt01VF5gXmJyxHbWDsUxjJB%2BfAiNyyZC3gmn7Qk%2BqAiPiqKzmqGBRbtkyfDz5M5ljLRekC6UKAtWoDJ%2ByV%2BogtXQc4Z2UVmNmbUqs%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR9SlrtSnYQ&autorefresh=true

The camera kit is sold, pending on payment, $8000. With 1x400',  2x200' S16 mags. There are still 2 400' mags left and I am undecided on whether to sell them. If I build my remaining ACL II into a kit I may need mags. Kit was sold to Sam Risley in London. The offer was made a couple of months ago but I wanted to get the motor back from service before I made a deal.

On the price, I think it's really good value for money.  ACL is not as nimble as an AMinima, OK, but it's still really compact with 200, and the core/spool system is normal, no fuss. It's more robust and I like the shoulder mounting idea better.  I think the swappable lens port system is great.  I'm preaching to the choir here....

Gregg.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

On 8/7/2023 at 3:47 AM, Duncan Brown said:

Looks like a very well equipped ACL II, but not nearly enough details in the description or pictures (seller is no expert on these things) and clearly has no idea of the prevailing prices on these because that price is beyond dreaming.  But maybe he'll come down on price some day, maybe someone could talk him through determining if it's been S16 modified, etc.

Located in Chapel Hill, NC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256170890547?hash=item3ba4f99533

Duncan

Hey Duncan,

II had a look at that one. It looks basically brand new, so if someone has used it they have been really gentle. It's very easy to get chips and wear on paint when cameras are used with some urgency. I think it is overpriced at 12.5K given the lack of mags and useful lens port adapters. But mostly, I'm almost certain that it is standard 16, so a decent conversion will add/subtract over $2K.

Those 12-120 Ang lenses give a nice image that is just not as sharp as an old 10-100 T3.1 Zeiss. They are super nice to use hand held and were cheap to service back in the day. May only be worth $500 to $1000.

Some of you guys may disagree, but I think the kit I just sold at $8K is a realistic benchmark for a minty, super low mileage kit with useful mags and accessories.  So for the kit above one could start subtracting...(using the values from the shipping list, such that the kit sums to $8K)

- VP S16 conversion....guessing.............$2000

-  2x200'  S16 mags @$700 ea................$1400

- PL/TS adapter...guessing.......................$350

- ARRI-B/S/TS adapter...guessing............$300

- AZ Spectrum video assist (used)...........$600  (Edit. forgot to add that,  so I adjusted the numbers below)

So the kit above could be valued at  $8000-4650 = $3350....but add maybe $800 for the 12-120  Ang  if it's good, so I value it at $4150. But I'm ignoring ebay fees.

Forgot to add the rod set and maybe something else, but you get the idea...

Comments anyone?

Cheers,

Gregg

Edited by Gregg MacPherson
check calcs

• Premium Member

I think your near-unicorn ACLII S16 kit was definitely a fair price, but I would be even more brutal with discounting other kits for sale.  Can you even get a S16 conversion done on an ACL any more?  And as always, no matter how shiny and seemingly unused one of these ebay deals is, especially when coming from an absolutely clueless seller (as most of them are), you just never know what expensive/fatal surprises await you when you receive it.

I much prefer to pay parts-camera prices and be pleasantly surprised when it mostly works, than to pay market prices and end up with a very expensive doorstop.  (I'm too broke to pay fair prices for fantastic rigs like yours; I can only play in the pig-in-a-poke market...)

Duncan

Paul Scaglione at VP said recently that he will still do them. I think Les Bosher still does, but doesn't do an etched S16 ground glass. I am certain that there are one or two people in Europe who could do it. The French Eclair/ACL comunity don't visit here much. I wish they did.

I think we have to be patient with some of these skilled people. As an illustration, the servicing/repair of my ACL motors at AZ Spectrum...I called him in early April, he said he could do it in June, they were shipped back in mid July.  

You should have bought my spare S16 ACL II body and motor when I was desperate to sell, though that might not have been low enough to qualify as pig-in-a-poke.

Gregg.

• Premium Member
On 8/11/2023 at 8:53 AM, Duncan Brown said:

Not everyone has Facebook, but if you do here's a pretty decent NPR rig with the rarely-seen Alsa XL-24 motor, a nice Angenieux 12-120 zoom, I think the Angenieux finder, a couple of mags, etc, at a pretty decent price ($2400) in Colorado in the US.  (Not mine, obviously!  Just passing along the info.)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2542382232590833/

Duncan

He dropped the price to $2000.  If I didn't already have two very nice NPR motors I'd probably buy this just for the cool motor alone!

Duncan