Asteroid City - Wes Anderson

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

so....what do we think after watching it???????

I saw it in the cinema in Spain, in Spanish - could not wait to see it! so will hold off my review until I watch it in the original language.....I loses everything in translation I think...

Its on the cinemas here in Gibraltar in English language as from tomorrow

Edited by Stephen Perera

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I saw it again in original language and I really enjoyed it. It lost a LOT in translation. Anyone else seen it?

Has it become less about cinematography and more an 'art director' 'production design' masterpiece?

• Premium Member

Saw it last weekend. 

It was beautifully shot, full of humor and pathos, well staged and fun to watch.

However, I left the theater puzzled more than anything else.

It was kind of like watching a couple of hours of Henny Youngman standups interrupted by flashes of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?"

I left with the distinct impression I failed to grasp the entire thrust of the motion picture despite it being laid-out in bold relief...

Weird.

• Like 1

watched the trailer, absolutely hate it!

don't get me wrong I enjoyed watching Anderson's movies, Moonrise kingdom an absolute master piece. I didn't watch "The French Dispatch" but I remember that the movie had a very exciting trailer. but watching this trailer felt that I'm watching a stop motion movie, the composition felt very much like the isle of the dog. the character of the film felt like robots. the trailer didn't work for me. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Abdul Rahman Jamous said:

watched the trailer, absolutely hate it!

don't get me wrong I enjoyed watching Anderson's movies, Moonrise kingdom an absolute master piece. I didn't watch "The French Dispatch" but I remember that the movie had a very exciting trailer. but watching this trailer felt that I'm watching a stop motion movie, the composition felt very much like the isle of the dog. the character of the film felt like robots. the trailer didn't work for me.

Moonrise Kingdom is also my favourite so far....one must watch a film to talk about it though haha

I also left unfulfilled in terms of the plot and understanding of what I saw but in simple terms it was an existentialist piece and as such open to interpretation

Edited by Stephen Perera

His recent movies feel like their only concern is to create a world and visuals without a plot or a story. Moonrise Kingdom and the Grand Budapest Hotel were the last great ones - in my opinion of course.

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, Giray Izcan said:

His recent movies feel like their only concern is to create a world and visuals without a plot or a story. Moonrise Kingdom and the Grand Budapest Hotel were the last great ones - in my opinion of course.

I would agree with this somewhat....perhaps his next one takes the 'criticism' from us fans on board and he hits us with a great story. The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar is next...shot on 16mm...perhaps this one has a more linear storyline more of us can follow

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Giray Izcan said:

It doesn't have to be linear but a story would be nice.

yes of course.....I didn't much understand The French Dispatch half the time but enjoyed watched it