Cinematography is dead..

Guest JonathanSheneman

Guest JonathanSheneman

I think just as long as you have nice sharp lenses, pin registration, fresh stock and baths- plus an array of pro lighting equipment such as HMI's and those lights they hang off crains for night shots.. you basically rival all professional cameramen. AND you don't get hassled by the man which happens to me constantely, the police hate movies unless they're pig asses are getting payed $50/hr to provide "security"- what a joke.

So until I can get Cooke and Superspeeds I guess most of you will be better photographers than me.

We've offically entered the Michael Jackson era of seriously freakish cinematography like the Hi-constrasty bleach by-passed look used on most Movies and TV shows. It's unreal and distracting.

I real better now.

• Premium Member
I think just as long as you have nice sharp lenses, pin registration, fresh stock and baths- plus an array of pro lighting equipment such as HMI's and those lights they hang off crains for night shots.. you basically rival all professional cameramen.

Gee, I've got all of that and somehow I don't rival half the pros out there...

It does take a brain to know how to use all of that gear, both technically and artistically.

Personally, it seems that in the last few years we've seen a decline in the use of skip-bleach processing for theatrical features. I think you're complaining about a fad that already reached its peak, although there will always be some exceptions.

Certainly contrasty images are popular -- I'm fond of contrast myself.

• Premium Member
I think just as long as you have nice sharp lenses, pin registration, fresh stock and baths- plus an array of pro lighting equipment such as HMI's and those lights they hang off crains for night shots.. you basically rival all professional cameramen.

As long as you have the state of the art laser technology, a staff of qualified nurses and a sterile operating room, you basically rival all eye surgeons. Make sense to you?

AJB

Edited by Jonathan Benny

If you think equipment is what makes a good DP, you don't much about cinematography.

I think I'm doing pretty good sometimes, with my small 16mm kit, then I see some lovely footage somebody shot with a DVX100 and available light. And it blows my stuff away.

A good DP will always manage to get great shots. Even, I bet, with a bad VHS camcorder.

Guys, I think he's mad 'cause he got shut down during a location during a low-budget shoot of some sort. The rest is part of that complaint.

Alright, I reread it. Maybe I'm wrong, but only kinda sorta.

Edited by Josh Bass

for me one of things that show how cinematographers are great is when the display through their work an understanding of the technical and creative elements of the craft and the relationship between the actors, the camera, lighting, and the story being told. And doing all that during a potentially political environment of a film set and industry.

Best

Tim

• Premium Member
I think just as long as you have nice sharp lenses, pin registration, fresh stock and baths- plus an array of pro lighting equipment such as HMI's and those lights they hang off crains for night shots.. you basically rival all professional cameramen. AND you don't get hassled by the man which happens to me constantely, the police hate movies unless they're pig asses are getting payed $50/hr to provide "security"- what a joke.

So until I can get Cooke and Superspeeds I guess most of you will be better photographers than me.

We've offically entered the Michael Jackson era of seriously freakish cinematography like the Hi-constrasty bleach by-passed look used on most Movies and TV shows. It's unreal and distracting.

I real better now.

Wow, you're a whiny little baby, aren't you? <_<

I bet you anything that if I sat a panaflex and set of lenses in a field with a bunch of HMIs and whatever other equipment you're bitching about, that they won't do a damn thing. Equipment is inanimate, it does nothing except what you make it do. If you make shitty images, it's your fault and nobody else's. :angry:

Stop whining about your equipment and you'll have taken the first step to improving your skills. ;) :rolleyes:

Edited by Christopher D. Keth

I real better now.

haha... riiiigggghhhhtttt No matter how much equipment you have nothing can beat good?ol talent. I find it hard to believe that the average Joe would even know how to use all the equipment you listed. If they did, they wouldn?t be paying us to do it?

True, all those things aid in getting good images. You must have anticipated this response, but you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Why would you even say that? What does it buy you? If you're a director, I don't know what you get out of bashing cinematographers. Or perhaps you have tried and failed, and therefore must find a way to mend your ego.

You blame your equipment for your awful images. I'm using comparatively awful equipment, and if I get a bad image, I blame only myself -- I'm the one who lit it, who framed it, who operated, and regardless of my lack of grade-a equipment, it's my fault for screwing it up. Because I acknowedge this, I learn from it and don't make the mistake the next time.

You work within the limitations of your equipment. Whatever you are using, it's not imposible to get a decent image with it.

It's ignorant kids like you who give all students a bad name.

I think the key to being a good DP is making the most of what you have. I don't think I have ever been on a show as a DP or an AC where there haven't been uncontrollable limitations. We don't have enough film or enough lights...heck, there never seems to enough time in the day to get all the shots off. However, I think it is the limitation of resources and logistical boundaries that make us as DPs excel and improve our craft. I shot an entire Super 16 short without an AC or loader. I operated, pulled focus during all the shots..I even had to download and load 20 cans of short ends throughout the day. I was extremely stressed, but in telecine, everyhting turned out great. If you can't afford HMIs, use shiny boards. If you can't afford the Arri 435, shoot with an Arri IIC. Again, last week I found myself shooting a spec commercial without a camera crew, but I was better able to focus on DP stuff becuase all the technical camera stuff was transparent to me, I had trained myself and I was able to take care of the camera by instinct. Embrace your limitations becuase in the end, it will only make you a better cinematographer. You will develop a new style that is unique to you becuase you are not workign with the same "tools" as everyone else. I'm a firm beleiver that sometimes "less" can be "more."

Regards,

Joshua R

JonathanSheneman,

Sounds like one of your projects got FUBAR. Try something new! Screw the equipment you've been using so far if it's jinxing you for some reason, and opt for another pallete of filmmaking equipment -- get a different look and take a new approach to your work. If you don't like it, try something else.

I understand where you're coming from.. kinda. No matter how hard you try, you just can't get that Steve Vai sound playing out of a cheap strat and a tube amp. But you know what? The more I practice, the less I care about my equipment because I develop my own style -- and learn MUSIC.

Sounds like what you really need is a great script.

Good luck man. Don't give up.

- Jonathan

• Premium Member

I agree with original poster 100% and urge all of the newie readers of this site to embrace the idea that skill and experience have no value in the current culture of motion picture production. That approach will serve you well in what will prove to be an unfortunately brief career.

• Premium Member

Sweet Jesus,

Fellows its not about what camera you use. There is art and craft here you know,which comes

with practice and learning(studying)and then putting it to practice. You've got to compete with

how many people to shoot a film? How many features are being shot every year? I'm not trying

to be a smart ass here, but I can take Velvia 100F pop it in an old Nikon FE-2(old by todays st-

andards)shoot at the appropriate time of day(bracket) and do just as good a job as the guy with

a Canon eos1,D,Mark II N. This really pisses some photographers off that are so equipment ori-

ented. I firmly do believe though that the better the lens the better the final product. I do not like

zooms,I prefer primes. You are going to have to shoot with what you can afford or afford to rent

until you make it to the big time. It took me a long time before I could have a canon eos1,D,MarkIIN

in my inventory and I still swear somedays,that I have more fun shooting with a Nikon F2. My dream

machine is the Arri 235,I wish I could afford the film for one.

Greg Gross

I think we're mostly missing the point, at least other than the point of a taunt that has gotten a bunch of people to respond. To me this is obviously a rant from a newbie or wannabe or otherwise non-professional who want to tease and criticise those that discuss the best and most proper ways of going about making fine cinema. It is sarcasm to the Nth degree. Well we don't NEED to have the Cooke S4s and the latest Arricam, and we don't absolutely NEED to have proper shooting permits or insurance, but it is better to have them all.

Look at the banner at the top of every page. Cinematography.com is for "professional motion picture camera people, news & resources." You can feel free to stick to the newbies and indie sections or go to other forums that cater to these things. Or you can participate here are discuss matters on a professional level and in a professional manner.

• Premium Member
I think just as long as you have nice sharp lenses, pin registration, fresh stock and baths-

Hi,

You don't pin registration except for multi pass or composites, even then some cameras are totally steady without pin registration. Most effects material is stabalized in any case.

Stephen

yeah whatever, I like Heat-like bang-bang.Ooops! Did I say in public without insurance!

My bad!

I will respect the authoritay with my usual showing of hands and running.

---You can't shot and run, if you have all that equipment.

---LV