I'm using some rented Zeiss Super Speeds (T1.3) on a film I'm shooting on a Red Scarlet. When I tested them at the rental house everything seemed perfect, however now that I am using them outdoors I've found that when I stop down in bright sunlight (or any sunlight really) I can see the iris closing, leaving a kind of pale spot in the middle of the frame. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Most likely a reflection somewhere that lets you see back into the lens. Are you using filters? Are you shielding the lens with a mattebox or some kind of shade? Oily or otherwise shiny iris blades can also cause an iris to reflect internally under strong light.

I am using ND 4 x 5.65 filters and a matte box. Is there anything more I can do? It's putting a real damper on my aperture choices.

I would play with the setup and try to isolate the cause - use a black cloth like Gregg suggests, remove or tilt filters, place the camera in shade, shade the mattebox further with flaps or french flags etc. Is it only happening when you're facing the sun, is it every lens?

The anomaly occurs with all but two lenses in bright sunlight. I did some tests yesterday and it seems that the only thing that really gets rid of the reflection is placing a flag over half of the lens, no other flagging or cloth does the trick. I think it must be oily blades, I'm going to contact the rental house.

Whoops sorry about that!

errrrm, as of this moment I can't figure out how to change that setting on my profile. Once I resolve this issue I'll delete my account and re-register I promise! My name is Hannah Getz.

Edited by Hannah

I've had the same problem in the past with Super Speeds. Never found the problem, just assumed it was down to old coatings. The only solution was to use hard mattes and flag the lens like crazy.