Today's Office

Tim Tyler

In all seriousness I did wonder if that photo was taken in the tropics. Something about the look ....just looks warmer. Doesn't look bone-chillingly cold. Any probs with humidity in the tropics? Do you need to use silica gel when storing overnight?

Edited by Jon O'Brien

4 hours ago, Jon O'Brien said:

In all seriousness I did wonder if that photo was taken in the tropics. Something about the look ....just looks warmer. Doesn't look bone-chillingly cold. Any probs with humidity in the tropics? Do you need to use silica gel when storing overnight?

Dont use any silica.. it was massively humid..and very hot.. you can't have your room like an AC induced ice cube.. cant do straight from cold to hot.. basic stuff really.. solid state camera its all a lot easier.. tap cameras were far more of a problem..  had a built in humidity sensor.. which when triggered would just stop the camera from recording.. you just had to switch it on and leave if for an hour or more..blast with hair dryer etc.. then it would automatically lace back up when the sensor deemed the levels were ok internally.. or the dreaded tape stuck to drum.. good night Vienna ..need a new camera and try to save whats on the tape..

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2013 at 2:23 PM, Tim Tyler said:

Shooting green screen interviews today in a conference room at a certain software giant's building in Redmond, WA.

DSCF0955.jpg

What are you working on today?

Upload a photo with your reply.

Whats the story with the green screen at a downward angle?  I've never seen that.  (Not critiquing, trying to learn)

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 6/21/2019 at 12:20 AM, Kevin Mastman said:

Whats the story with the green screen at a downward angle?  I've never seen that.  (Not critiquing, trying to learn)

Less green bouncing back directly on to the subject I’d assume ? it’s a terrific idea actually (if you’ve got the space for it)

3 hours ago, Mark Kenfield said:

Less green bouncing back directly on to the subject I’d assume ? it’s a terrific idea actually (if you’ve got the space for it)

But wouldn't that also change the exposure levels on the screen itself..  not that it really matters a lot these days as for interviews, it will be a junk Matte cropped close to the subject anyway.. .. or the reason is they didn't have the space/height for the screen and had to angle it to set it up.. but yes would like to know have never seen that before even on big sets where they certainly had the space to do it.. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Robin R Probyn said:

But wouldn't that also change the exposure levels on the screen itself..  not that it really matters a lot these days as for interviews, it will be a junk Matte cropped close to the subject anyway.. .. or the reason is they didn't have the space/height for the screen and had to angle it to set it up.. but yes would like to know have never seen that before even on big sets where they certainly had the space to do it.. 

I suspect there’s a GOOD chance your assessment is more accurate Robyn (not enough height for the frame itself).

But shifting the angle of the screen could well help minimise spill. I’m going to give it a try next time I’m dealing with something similar.

2 hours ago, Mark Kenfield said:

I suspect there’s a GOOD chance your assessment is more accurate Robyn (not enough height for the frame itself).

But shifting the angle of the screen could well help minimise spill. I’m going to give it a try next time I’m dealing with something similar.

Yes in theory it would ...agreed.. please report your findings sir .. have to say its never occurred to me either and have never seen it being done before ? 

Archive viewing on the Steenbeck for a motorsport feature. The commute for this job was quite short and it was a 10am call as well.

67365542_2392422774412610_31390016087680

Jackie Stewart in his pomp, arriving for the German Grand Prix, Nürburgring, 1971

67432261_2392948907693330_19836313285574

Edited by Mark Dunn
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 8/27/2019 at 2:08 PM, Satsuki Murashige said:

Day 6 of 7 today, shooting selected scenes from 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' for MyShakespeare.com and director Greg Watkins.

BTS photo credit: Charlie Kuttner.

AMSND_BTS_01.thumb.jpg.0d90bab86c8bb6dd44592a99879e9c85.jpg

2019_AMSND_003.thumb.jpg.551bcd87ec6a27a1a8979a3475bd2cfc.jpg

Gorgeous frame Sat ? what lenses gave you that lovely flare?

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Mark Kenfield said:

Gorgeous frame Sat ? what lenses gave you that lovely flare?

Cheers Mark, 

The ‘god rays’ flare is from a silver sparkle mesh fabric rear net. You can get it very cheaply at Joann’s Fabrics. They have a bunch of different colors you can try. Some have glitter particles that can fall off into the lens or sensor area, so watch out. 

Stole the idea from a recent ARRI Signature Prime demo film, shot I believe by Art Adams. Seemed appropriate for a ‘fairy look’!

The lens itself is a Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.4 + Iscorama 36 (MC? Not sure if my lens is still an MC as it returned from rehousing with what appeared to be a different front element - but that’s another story). Rear net is snot taped on the Pentax taking lens.

Different lens (tested a few), but this is what it looks like. 

02569E3C-C755-4458-B211-6BF2C4FD83F7.thumb.jpeg.c94896dca2133df311263b9cb14a63eb.jpeg

I did test front netting as well, but it did not produce the same flares and created a visible pattern even wide open. We also used haze on set, but it mostly just milked out the image, so I stopped using it for scenes without a deep background.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Cheers Mark, 

The ‘god rays’ flare is from a silver sparkle mesh fabric rear net. You can get it very cheaply at Joann’s Fabrics. They have a bunch of different colors you can try. Some have glitter particles that can fall off into the lens or sensor area, so watch out. 

Stole the idea from a recent ARRI Signature Prime demo film, shot I believe by Art Adams. Seemed appropriate for a ‘fairy look’!

The lens itself is a Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.4 + Iscorama 36 (MC? Not sure if my lens is still an MC as it returned from rehousing with what appeared to be a different front element - but that’s another story). Rear net is snot taped on the Pentax taking lens.

Different lens (tested a few), but this is what it looks like. 

02569E3C-C755-4458-B211-6BF2C4FD83F7.thumb.jpeg.c94896dca2133df311263b9cb14a63eb.jpeg

I did test front netting as well, but it did not produce the same flares and created a visible pattern even wide open. We also used haze on set, but it mostly just milked out the image, so I stopped using it for scenes without a deep background.

Well it worked a treat ? plays beautifully without destroying the contrast. I’ll have to try and track some down. 

4 hours ago, Mark Dunn said:

Careful, if you leave wings on them like that I think they try to fly back to Hollywood in the evenings.

It was very exciting we had people literally hiding behind trees taking photos of our set and posting on Facebook. I guess the public also gets a bit star-struck in the presence of actual real C-stands

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Mark Kenfield said:

Well it worked a treat ? plays beautifully without destroying the contrast. I’ll have to try and track some down. 

Thanks man. I did have to crush blacks a bit on this shot, I think mostly due to residual haze on set. But for the most part, just a ‘one-light’ LUT applied to Log dailies worked great. 

I did notice that the net does take on the color of any light sources in the frame, so that may be something to play with in the future.

Last Thursday started on new documentary about an 85 year yodeler. 3 floors packed with 65 years of country music history. Still trying to figure out best way to shoot. This is his office he uses to make radio shows. No room for a tripod. My fat stomach is in the bottom of the photo.

I'll shoot once or twice a week for a few hours. I can't work too hard. Got ADD. I can work hard, but not on the same project all day. Got to mix things up. Will probably end up as a 1 hour to 1.5 hour film.  Whatever does it justice.

Budget is next to nothing. This is an 'I do it all film.' Not knowing how to do it all is another challenge. If I hit the lotto I'd hire you guys or gals to make the film. But must be grateful for having 'some' skills to do it broke. Shot some test footage on Thursday for sound and lights. No room to get the video cam in while taking a still...that is tight!

RBM Project DD. Teoli LR .jpg

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Upvote 1