How many films / videos have you made?

As this is a cinematographer's forum, this is a strange question.  Most of us photograph the films of others, so we are not "filmmakers" per se.  What is it that you're trying to learn here?

I've worked on hundreds or maybe even a thousand projects over many years, but I've only "made" 4 short films, as a "filmmaker" ?

1 hour ago, Bruce Greene said:

As this is a cinematographer's forum, this is a strange question.  Most of us photograph the films of others, so we are not "filmmakers" per se.  What is it that you're trying to learn here?

I've worked on hundreds or maybe even a thousand projects over many years, but I've only "made" 4 short films, as a "filmmaker" ?

You brought up a good point I didn't think of. So your own or working for others is fine. 

I would not say that I "made," a movie unless a couple of criteria were met. 

I would have had to have directed the film or been the creative ramrod behind it, such as producer/line producer, or producer/screenwriter.

Secondly, the film preferably must have had some sort of public or quasi-public exhibition, or, less preferably, be accessible on-line to the public and the public would be able to locate the film on-line without previously having known it existed (Amazon Prime or Netflix as opposed to throwing it up on You-Tube, unless the filmmaker had an actively promoted You-Tube channel.) Exceptions made if a Hollywood studio sits on your film.

By those criteria I have two, maybe three, films.

Edited by charles pappas
spelling

All up, about 40 individual films I would say, perhaps more, all shot on Super 8 (up to half hour long), 8mm (50 ft reels only), and 16mm (short films only) so far. I funded nearly all of them (except the ones I did at school in Film & TV) and was cinematographer for the lot. Shooting 2 perf for next projects.

I made about 5 films back in '74 / '75.  1-16mm and 4 -8mm. That was back in beginning cinema class. Had lots of censorship with my work, got disgusted and gave it up for a while. I traded a guy a motorcycle for an early Betamax recorder in '76 / '77 and one of the 'box with a lens' video cams for it. Made 4 - 5 videos. I could only keep it for a few months as I had to sell it to raise some $$. One of the vids was in interesting interview of a trans person. That was pretty rate back in the mid 70's. But lost all those early vids over time.

Fast forward to modern times and have made about 10 videos and another 6 or 7 in the works. All short subject videos, nothing elaborate. And that is how I like it. My ADD wont go for long, complex projects. I like underground projects that are documentary in nature and don't involve dealing with people f2f. I'm not much of a people person. Generally speaking, movies require lots of cooperation from people . That is not up my alley. Neither are sunsets and nature, so I only work in a small sphere of making people videos with no cooperation from people in them.

Most of my own work is still photography. A few years ago my low budget archive branched out into small gauge films, so have many hundred 8 and 16 reels in the collection. Just starting getting them digitized.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.