5d mark II to shoot a short handheld?

i have a big experience in shooting photography in 5d mark II but i have a short comin up where the producer suggested the 5d mark II to shoot while i was suggesting the red one camera. most of the movie (80%) is shot handheld and i've been hearing a lot of comments about dropping frames while in motion or handheld with the mark II, any comments or help tips?

thanks a lot guys :)

• Premium Member

You want to use 8 or 16gb UDMA cards 60MB/Sec (400X)

My friend uses Sandisk's newer extreme III 30MB/s cards and he says those are working fine w/5D2.

Heard similar comments from other users, too.

I myself use 60MB/s cards, mostly becourse the material can be transferred little faster to the laptop

(And I always have that extra speed if something eats more bitrate than it should to; its good to be safe, though, even if it never happens :rolleyes: )

About a year ago I shot a music clip with a 5D attached to various amusement park rides. Some of the rides had such incredible shaking I thought the tripod bolt would break but the camera held together and there were no dropped frames. So I wouldn't worry about dropping frames with handheld.

More recently I did a clip on the 7D all handheld and most of the time the rolling shutter wasn't offensive.

BUT when we tried to smooth out handheld moves in post that no rolling shutter had been visible in the rolling shutter become hideous, like being underwater.

If shooting handheld with these cameras don't plan on stabilizing in post.

Edited by jacob thomas

I'd worry more 'bout rolling shutter problems on the 5D.. then again RED has similar issues (less pronounced). All in all, though without whip pans it should be totally doable.

never shoot with red but on reduser all the redfans saying red has no rolling shutter problem

never shoot with red but on reduser all the redfans saying red has no rolling shutter problem

Well, not one that will affect most shots, although flashing lights can cause problems. The new RED Epic seems to have a higher refresh rate, so it should have even less skew.

• 2 months later...