Tattoos

mo samra

hey guys,

I was just curious to find out some information about the industry in regards to body art. I am seventeen years old and I plan on getting a few meaningful tattoos. I also hope to be a DP in the industry one day. what are some of your thoughts on tattoos and getting jobs in the business, will that hold me back, or as long as I can do the job well no one will mind?

thanks much!!

I suppose it depends which country you're in, but I didn't think you could get tattoos until you're 18.

Best not to have tattoos on your face and hands and don't have the name of your current romantic relationship in the tattoo.

I guess DPs have done stranger things than have a tattoo, but it really depends on the people you are dealing with and attitudes of people in the country where you live.

• Premium Member

If you really want a tattoo, then just put it where it can easily be covered up for a job interview.

I come from a generation where only sailors and bikers got tattoos, so the whole trend mystifies me -- all I know that it's annoying that so many actors and actresses get tattoos because it makes life harder for the make-up, wardrobe, and camera people to hide them because actors often play characters who wouldn't be wearing tattoos, plus half the time there is a clearance issue because the tattoo is the creation of some artist.

• Premium Member

I believe this was notoriously the case on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, on the basis that that redheaded chick who went to band camp (whose name escapes me) has an ankle tattoo and ended up in some rather questionable costume choices to cover it up.

P

It depends. Do you want to work on nothing but music videos and low-budget horror movies for the rest of your life? B)

A person's appearance says volumes about him/her. Clothes are one thing, of course, but so to does hairstyle and overall grooming contribute toward that so important first impression. Maybe a tattoo or "edgy" hairstyle with the trendiest clothes say that a person is "oh soooo cool!," but generally, Producers and Directors are looking for a candidate (in the DP world) who knows what he/she is doing technically to fulfill the artistic desires while functioning efficiently with cast and crew within the parameters of a schedule and budget.

Fun and "cool" can help in the sell, but it can also backfire if your appearance doesn't also say that you're competent. But, you should be who you want to be. Just go in knowing that something like a tattoo could turn out to be a negative for your career depending upon what you'd like it to ultimately be.

• Premium Member

In my mind people who have tattoos are low life " Chavs" and in this country tend to live or come from a county called Essex.

Wow! The middle class English are alive and well and living in Cinematography.com Who would have thought!

For me this a deplorable statement and I sincerely hope It's a joke!

I personally work with people who have all sorts of differences be it tattoos, piercings, clothes, culture, I could care less!

As long as they are professional and proficient in there job.

What a load of bollocks! Tattoos! get real!!

thanks for all the responses!

Im planning on getting them on my calf and thigh.

so ill be able to cover them quite easily with pants. I was debating to get a piece on my fore arm, but i doubt that will follow through.

and also these tattoos are very personal to me. not some random drawing I picked out at the shop last minute. they involve my love for cinematography( a film reel, and more) and my older sisters birthday with rosses.

I suppose it depends which country you're in, but I didn't think you could get tattoos until you're 18.

I guess DPs have done stranger things than have a tattoo, but it really depends on the people you are dealing with and attitudes of people in the country where you live.

I am waiting till I turn nineteen, so i have another year to think about it. And what do you mean stranger things than a tattoo?!

• Premium Member

hey guys,

I was just curious to find out some information about the industry in regards to body art. I am seventeen years old and I plan on getting a few meaningful tattoos. I also hope to be a DP in the industry one day. what are some of your thoughts on tattoos and getting jobs in the business, will that hold me back, or as long as I can do the job well no one will mind?

thanks much!!

Everyone I know under 30 seems to have a tattoo. But, like another guy here said, when I grew up only people living the rough and wild life got them. Take it for what it's worth. I think they're kind of silly and stupid myself and would never get one, but I don't look down on people who get them. To each his own.

• Premium Member

I have 2. I hate them both. I am quite glad I don't need to show them unless on beach. So whether you get one or not, make sure it's something you're ok with YEARS late.r

As for having one on a set-- as mentioned, so long as it's not so in your face that everyone notices it all the time, I don't think anyone is going to care. I certainly don't base any of my hiring choices on who has a tattoo or not.

Many years ago we had an assistant editor who had a strip of film tattooed around her leg. The only thing anybody said about it was that she had chosen 16mm, when she could have had 35mm for the same price....

-- J.S.

That was one of the funniest responses I've read ever.

Dan Garee

It depends. Do you want to work on nothing but music videos and low-budget horror movies for the rest of your life? B)

A person's appearance says volumes about him/her. Clothes are one thing, of course, but so to does hairstyle and overall grooming contribute toward that so important first impression. Maybe a tattoo or "edgy" hairstyle with the trendiest clothes say that a person is "oh soooo cool!," but generally, Producers and Directors are looking for a candidate (in the DP world) who knows what he/she is doing technically to fulfill the artistic desires while functioning efficiently with cast and crew within the parameters of a schedule and budget.

Fun and "cool" can help in the sell, but it can also backfire if your appearance doesn't also say that you're competent. But, you should be who you want to be. Just go in knowing that something like a tattoo could turn out to be a negative for your career depending upon what you'd like it to ultimately be.

For once I actually agree with Brian (cue Hallelujah chorus music.) Your appearance says a lot about you, and wrongly or rightly you will be judged by it. People always mock me for overdressing for industry parties, I figure always better to be a bit overdressed than underdressed, you never know who you might meet.

Brian's comment about working on low-budget horror movies may have some merit. Ever notice how the crews of a movie also "fit" the genre? Even though they will never be seen on camera. Tough to find a bunch of people on a Disney set for a G-rated movie that look like Hell's Angels bikers.

R,