INTERSTELLAR trailer

Great idea, we completely *bleeped* up our own planet, now we need to find someone else's to *bleep* up. :blink:

R,

• Premium Member

I'm never quite sure how people manage to combine handheld camerawork with making it look that polished.

I can't do that.

P

I'm going to take that as a compliment! Thanks Phil. Consider it was hand held with a 78 pound IMAX camera as well!

G

I'm never quite sure how people manage to combine handheld camerawork with making it look that polished.

I can't do that.

P

I think we've just become so used to deliberate shaky-cam that it's easy to forget what Handheld can look like with a great operator and a director who isn't all style and no substance.

• Upvote 2

Great idea, we completely *bleeped* up our own planet, now we need to find someone else's to *bleep* up. :blink:

R,

And based on truth, the western Antarctic shelve is irreversably collapsing as we speak, creating a rise in sea levels of over 4 feet in the next century and 10 feet when all is said and done. The series Years of Living Dangerously has shown what scientists and climatologists have proven about climate change, global warming and the predicted effect of that on food production and in the immedate future, higher temperatures especially in the deserts where I happen to live at the moment, is already creating problems. STILL very little in the way of repairing the damage we wrout although wind energy is up over400% and solar panels are becoming far more common but it's still just a drop in the bucket. Dirty coal, dirty oil, dirty money driving dirty agandas run the whole show. Nolan found the rught issue ti expiore for our times and I hope the right people get his point and take it to the next level. I can actually see films like this, themes of an environmental apocalyptic future becoming very popular in the next few years.

• Premium Member

Consider it was hand held with a 78 pound IMAX camera as well!

Well, I've never operated a camera that big, nor do I expect that I ever will, but I suspect there's probably a few ways that's actually quite helpful when working handheld.

And a few ways it isn't, too!

P

• Premium Member

Greg, how did Hoyte operate the IMAX camera handheld?

I heard that Nolan dared Wally Pfister to shoot one quick shot of The Dark Knight holding an IMAX camera, just so he could say that he did it.

We made an entirely new viewing system for the IMAX MSM camera to make the eyepiece position much more friendly for hand held. It was also much brighter and sharper than the original. We then machined a "Panavised" mount on the bottom of the camera body to accept Panavision style handles that allowed the camera to be balanced on Hoyte's shoulder. Finally, I had made extra long cables that allowed all power and Preston requirements to be led aft to a specially built backpack that our dolly grip wore while guiding Hoyte during a shot. All in all, it worked brilliantly.

G

We made an entirely new viewing system for the IMAX MSM camera to make the eyepiece position much more friendly for hand held. It was also much brighter and sharper than the original. We then machined a "Panavised" mount on the bottom of the camera body to accept Panavision style handles that allowed the camera to be balanced on Hoyte's shoulder. Finally, I had made extra long cables that allowed all power and Preston requirements to be led aft to a specially built backpack that our dolly grip wore while guiding Hoyte during a shot. All in all, it worked brilliantly.

G

Amazing! Thanks for the information. I know how "under wraps" Chris Nolan's films are in general, so it's most appreciated.

I heard you guys even put an IMAX camera in the nose of a Learjet?... :) Can't wait for the ASC article about this film.

• Premium Member

I saw a photo of Chris Nolan standing next to the imax camera. it looks to be about the same size as a Sony F 65.

In reality, ithe IMAX camera is bigger, heavier and denser.

Wasn't there some elaborate rig that let Kubrick do the handheld 65mm work in 2001? I remember that there is a rather steep platform leading down into the excavation where the monolith is found on the moon, and that Kubrick himself shot that, but don't recall ever seeing any b-t-s showing exactly how he manhandled that sucker.

I believe, back when he was making simulator rides, Douglas Trumbull built some pretty small light weight Imax cameras to be flown on wires.

I'm not having much luck finding pictures/details but I've definitely seen an interview with him on youtube where he talks about it at some length

• Premium Member

You've got to love Trumbull.

Camera too heavy? No problem, we'll make a lighter one!

Frame rate too low? No problem, we'll go faster!

That's the sort of position one would wish to be in. Want X? build X!

P

That's the sort of position one would wish to be in. Want X? build X!

So...

Do it!

Not like everyone can just jump in and it works immediately - you gotta keep at it - persistence might just get you that elusive 'break' ...

Or maybe you just happen to be clever enough to manage yourself ;)