First Shot - Name the Movie

Daniel Meier

So there are still two from my posts not identified. I'm posting three more -- sorry for doing this all at once but tomorrow I leave for a job where I won't have access to my collection for awhile.

opening20.jpg

I will add that all three were nominated for Oscars for the cinematography.

"The French Connection" (1971)

Shame on me, i still haven't watched the movie. I did "detective" work by searching the "Chez Fonfon" object in a coastal city.

Came up it is in Marseille. Then a movie with Marseille and Oscar ... :)

Here the same place today (?):

chez_fon_fon_cnt_4aug10_PR.jpg

That was a really good guess, however, it is not Whiplash.

The movie is from 2010.

The frame below is the second sequence and it pans to a third shot which is the last one.

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-30%20at%2017.24.

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-30%20at%2017.24.

"Biutiful" 2010, Iñárritu/Rodrigo Prieto

I used your clues. In all honesty, I've seen and liked the movie, but no memory at all of the beginning seq.

The next shots with Bardem in the forest, that i recall... somewhat :)

Edited by Igor Trajkovski

• Premium Member

Yes, that's from "The Greatest Story Ever Told" -- the first image is a tilt down to a church mural of Max Von Sydow as Jesus.

No, the train shot is not from "Murder on the Orient Express" but another 70's movie that starts with the boat on the lake and goes to a flashback involving a train.

• Premium Member

opening4.jpg

It's interesting because the first shot of cattle is sort of a B-roll image with a bad, short pan, followed by a great wide shot with nice clouds. Back then, you sometimes saw these longer lensed shots with rough pans in them, like some sort of friction head was being used.

It's unusually sloppy for the opening shot of a Ford film where everything is usually so well composed, but I think because he shot so little coverage maybe that's all the editor had to work with.

It looks like the re-shot sequences in the film like the graveyard scene and the ending pickups were all done in studio, and it seems unlikely Zanuck would have sent a crew out to Monument Valley just to pick up a few cutaways. So Ford must have supervised the shot.

• Premium Member

"Biutiful" 2010, Iñárritu/Rodrigo Prieto

I used your clues. In all honesty, I've seen and liked the movie, but no memory at all of the beginning seq.

The next shots with Bardem in the forest, that i recall... somewhat :)

That's correct!

David, that could be Julia?

• Premium Member

Yeah!

The following one might be too difficult.

This is the opening shot, where we see the credits; when they finish, we see the first sequence in the movie which is the second frame.

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-01%20at%2014.42.

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-01%20at%2014.44.

• Premium Member

The following one might be too difficult.

This is the opening shot, where we see the credits; when they finish, we see the first sequence in the movie which is the second frame.

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-01%20at%2014.42.

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-01%20at%2014.44.

The second frame reminds me of 'Ivan's Childhood.'

• Premium Member

Almost!

Same country but a couple of years earlier than Ivan's Childhood.

Clue: After this movie, the director shot a movie that reinvented cinema as we know it.. and it is one of the most highly acclaimed movies ever done in the known universe

Almost!

Same country but a couple of years earlier than Ivan's Childhood.

Clue: After this movie, the director shot a movie that reinvented cinema as we know it.. and it is one of the most highly acclaimed movies ever done in the known universe

You made me curious here, who is that movie from "the most highly acclaimed movies ever done in the known universe"? :)

Tarkovsky, Eisenstein come to my mind as authors of such a movie. "The cranes are flying" by Mikhail Kalatozov maybe...

But nothing matched regarding the years you've clued us in...

So really eager to hear about the director and movie of such high stature.

As for the quiz movie, i don't know.

Regards

I.

I thought that was a great film for this game...Very long opening shot, varying from completely befuddling abstractions to the explicit/literal...some clues that are hard to make use of....nominations, awards....

It's quite a challenging watch, you have to be patient, but patience is leached out of us by modern media....

I thought that was a great film for this game...Very long opening shot, varying from completely befuddling abstractions to the explicit/literal...some clues that are hard to make use of....nominations, awards....

It's quite a challenging watch, you have to be patient, but patience is leached out of us by modern media....

The horse is the mane star I felt.. an unbridled performance ..