Premiere DigiBetacam Models?

Max Field

• Premium Member

The was a DVW-970 which could do progressive scan. There was an option board to produce 3:2 pulldown on NTSC models. I'm not sure how this was handled on the PAL version but I suspect it was just shot and recorded at 25.

The 790 was the archetypal version, though. Seen and used everywhere, on everything, right up to the high end.

Great camera.. the earlier digibeta,s (700) I think from memory.. had a 4-3 sensor and VF and would crop for 16-9.. which was just coming in.. the 790 and 709 the big improvement was a 16-9 sensor /VF that cropped to 4-3.. used mine for 15 years.. paid for my house.. and was the industry work horse for just about everything.. before HD camer along.. I even got £1,500 trade in for it.. on my f5 in the UK..(any pro Sony camera ).. I phoned to check if my digibeta ( gathering dust under the bed) counted.. and they said yes !.. it served me well..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

I did a short film on the PAL DVW-970 it looked surprisingly good, progressive scan - recorded using PsF so just split across 2 fields on the tape.

We ran it through a Snell and Willcox upconveter for a screening at the BFI. It held up really well, it could give the first generation Panasonic HD Varicam a run for its money.

In the UK most channels demanded Digi-Beta origination and these cameras cost in the $30-40k bracket and now you can get sub $5000 cameras that meet broadcast specs...fun times. When I was cutting my teeth on miniDV, I was always trying to seek out opportunities to shoot on digibeta - I normally ended up compromising on the loverly Sony DSR570WSP - the DVCAM workhorse of the digital indie film crowd. Thats the one in my profile pic - 1/4 black pro-mist and de-interlace in post and try to convince yourself its film

A pity that the DVW-970 arrived too late, an editor friend said that on SD. it looked better than material shot on a F900 and then converted to SD.

I'd believe that wasn't the F900 only 3:1:1 colour sampling at 8bit. So digibeta's 4:2:2 10 bit is going to beat HDCAM in everything but resolution.