Arriflex 2C 2perf conversion by Daniil Nevsky

Uli Meyer

• Premium Member

Last year Daniil Nevsky converted my old Arriflex 2C to 2perf and changed the BNCR mount to a PL mount. He did an amazing job! If you want yours converted, you can find Daniil on instagram @kamera_doctor. Here a before and after photo and a link to some random footage I shot last weekend to test my Zeiss Standard Speed 24mm. Film stock was Vision 3 50D.

https://vimeo.com/840736893

IMG_3064.JPG

IMG_3681.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Giray Izcan said:

2 perf is so much better than s16 in every aspect ratio... I don't even think the two are even close to each other in terms of sharpness and clarity.

Totally agree, no comparison.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And me too !  I was wondering Uli before you got yours converted by Daniil, did you ever do a registration test on 4-perf?  Then later compare with 2-perf ?  I have a 2C and was interested in the 2-perf idea.  As it is now it is fine on registration, but it certainly makes sense to consider 2-perf to save costs etc, IF the steadiness is sufficient.  Your footage looks great.  Though I'd be doing locked-off stuff as well with my camera.

Edited by Doug Palmer
add words

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, Doug Palmer said:

And me too !  I was wondering Uli before you got yours converted by Daniil, did you ever do a registration test on 4-perf?  Then later compare with 2-perf ?  I have a 2C and was interested in the 2-perf idea.  As it is now it is fine on registration, but it certainly makes sense to consider 2-perf to save costs etc, IF the steadiness is sufficient.  Your footage looks great.  Though I'd be doing locked-off stuff as well with my camera.

I hadn't shot any 4perf footage some 20 years before the conversion. Since the conversion I've shot footage on a tripod locked off and it is rock-solid. The neg perforation is pristine, no sign of widening. I'm not sure what Daniil is doing apart from changing the gears so that the transport slows down by half and changing the gate but he improved the camera overall, mechanically and cosmetically. I'm super happy with it.

• Upvote 1

On 6/29/2023 at 6:15 PM, Uli Meyer said:

I hadn't shot any 4perf footage some 20 years before the conversion. Since the conversion I've shot footage on a tripod locked off and it is rock-solid. The neg perforation is pristine, no sign of widening. I'm not sure what Daniil is doing apart from changing the gears so that the transport slows down by half and changing the gate but he improved the camera overall, mechanically and cosmetically. I'm super happy with it.

That's great you got satisfaction with his work.  I am guessing the sound of the mechanism is quieter too ?  It certainly makes a lot of sense to use 2-perf, and a lovely ratio.   btw your images always look so sharp at the edges. And I enjoy too your family films?

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Duncan Brown said:

Does that mean you'll be selling your S16 16ST to the drooling hordes lined up outside your door? ?

Duncan

It has crossed my mind, I just wouldn't know what to ask for it. Over the past two years I've added lots of accessories and a complete set of top condition b-mount lenses. Had a battery belt and seperate v-mount plate regulated to 12Volt. It's a difficult decision to make.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

It has crossed my mind, I just wouldn't know what to ask for it. Over the past two years I've added lots of accessories and a complete set of top condition b-mount lenses. Had a battery belt and seperate v-mount plate regulated to 12Volt. It's a difficult decision to make.

I'm guessing you could get pretty much whatever you ask for it (certainly way outside my budget!)  I just hope it goes to someone who will shoot with it, rather than someone who wants to put it in a case as a trophy "look at me, I own this super-rare camera."

Duncan

Nice footage Uli. Looks so beautiful. Well done!

I have a 2perf 2C with Nikon F mount that Bruce from Aranda converted for me a few years ago. I've been so focused on other projects I haven't gotten around to filming with it yet but I do have film for it.

Lately I'm thinking it would be good to get it converted to PL mount. I guess Daniil could do this.

Could you tell me Uli, what type of battery you use for your 2perf 2C?

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, Jon O'Brien said:

Nice footage Uli. Looks so beautiful. Well done!

I have a 2perf 2C with Nikon F mount that Bruce from Aranda converted for me a few years ago. I've been so focused on other projects I haven't gotten around to filming with it yet but I do have film for it.

Lately I'm thinking it would be good to get it converted to PL mount. I guess Daniil could do this.

Could you tell me Uli, what type of battery you use for your 2perf 2C?

Hi Jon,

I've been using a Hawk-Woods Reel Power 26.6Volt with a V-lock plate battery belt that is regulated to 16Volt output. I just bought a mini Reel Power v-lock 26.6 battery which weighs 500 grams only and could be velcroed to the magazine with a regulated plate as in the photo above.

I'm sure Daniil can convert it to PL mount. Just be aware that not all PL mount lenses fit onto the 2C. The round handgrip on the right gets in the way of many of the wider lenses. My CP.3s are too wide, for example. I'm using Standard Speeds, they were made for it.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 6/30/2023 at 6:05 AM, Fabian Schreyer said:

Looks amazing, Uli! Was this shot off a tripod?

It's handheld. 2Cs are heavy to hold so there is always a bit of movement. DaVinci can get rid of those little kinks.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

Hi Jon,

I've been using a Hawk-Woods Reel Power 26.6Volt with a V-lock plate battery belt that is regulated to 16Volt output. I just bought a mini Reel Power v-lock 26.6 battery which weighs 500 grams only and could be velcroed to the magazine with a regulated plate as in the photo above.

I'm sure Daniil can convert it to PL mount. Just be aware that not all PL mount lenses fit onto the 2C. The round handgrip on the right gets in the way of many of the wider lenses. My CP.3s are too wide, for example. I'm using Standard Speeds, they were made for it.

Thanks Uli. I really value your knowledge and experience with these cameras. Do you think this battery set up would also work with the Arri 35-3 (also 2perf)?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Fabian Schreyer said:

May I ask where you got this carrying strap from? I have been looking for a strap like this for my 16ST for quite some time now, but I only come across straps that look way weaker.

It’s a double ended dog leash that I ordered from YupCollars on Etsy. It can hold a Rottweiler and I use them for all my old Arriflex cameras. 

• Thanks 1