No.w.here film lab - sad news from east london

Geoff Howell

No.w.here film lab in bethnal green is being evicted to make way for yet more flats for rich out-of-towners.

please take a minute to sign the petition:

https://www.change.org/p/landlords-protect-community-spaces-stop-the-eviction-of-no-w-here?recruiter=56216815&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

It whould be a real shame if they don't get to at least 1000 signatures

Good luck nowhere lab! I ran a workshop there a few years ago. It's a great space. james is a friend.

We too face imminent eviction at our artist run Film lab in Melbourne artistfilmworkshop.org

Realestate is the biggest problem for is non profits

• Upvote 1

Realestate is the biggest problem for is non profits

Depends on the non-profit. I was up for a great space to set up a new studio here but now I am battling against an extreme Christian Cult for the space. The landlord would rather rent to me as I'm reliable and easy to get along with and I have a good relationship with everyone there whereas the Christian Cult is doing everything possible to annoy and piss off the other tennants.

The people moving out of the unit have some complicated deal with the Christian Cult to sell them their partitions and the cult leader has offered the landlord considerably above the market rate for the unit. I guess you don't have to worry so much about the market when you have devotees tithing their income to you.

Ironically the people moving out of the unit are moving to the other end of the building to get away from the "Christians".

It's going to be interesting to see how it pans out. The landlord had promised to find me an alternative space but given the economic pressures from the non commercial uses in London I'm not sure this is going to come to pass. Just hoping that the "Christians" get a sign that shows them a better way.

Freya

We too face imminent eviction at our artist run Film lab in Melbourne artistfilmworkshop.org

Good luck Richard. I really hope you stumble across somewhere even better than where you are now however unlikely that may seem. There is definitely a real problem with the way property and housing is handled in the world.

I will sign the petition too. Back when I was still involved in that whole scene, the nowhere folks were always nice to me and made me feel welcome when I strayed into their part of the world on occasion. I hope they find some kind of solution but I'm very aware of how grim the situation in London is right now.

It seems likely that London will end up entirely as a sort of strange holiday park in the future.

Freya

Until almost 12 months ago I used to have all of my 16mm B&W Negative film (mainly 7222) processed and printed at NO.W.HERE in East London, but they decided not to continue to undertake this work as a service. I understand that attempts were made to establish a group of users as a "cooperative" and I tried quite hard to persuade them to make some provision for those of us who do not live in London and could not, except at considerable cost and perhaps involving an overnight stay in London, participate in a "self help" group. I am not sure, therefore, whether any processing of 16mm b&w is presently being undertaken at NO.W.HERE's premises in Bethnal Green. For this reason, I have not been using film for the best part of a year. I think I would have known if the service had resumed.

Nonetheless, whilst I very much hope that their present difficulties are overcome, I have, of course, looked for alternative facilities, and considered using colour filmstock in future since generally it seems to be easier to get colour processed and printed than b&w stock.

However, I recently discovered "Film in Process" (filminprocess.com). They are based at the University of East London. Film in Process is a small artist run business providing a 16mm B&W processing and printing service and was set up by Bea Haut and Karel Doing in 2015. These names will be familier to those who have used NO.W.HERE in the past, and I presently have a film with them for processing and printing.

I thought I should pass this information on - helping those who need B & W Negative processing and printing, and hopefully helping to support Bea Haut and Karel Doing and "Film in Process".