Logmar working on new 15 perf 65mm film camera

John Shell

SAY HELLO TO ADÉLIE !

It is our pleasure to announce that we have been working on CAD drawings and simulations for the last six months of a new ground breaking 15-perf 65mm camera.

This camera is completely different from anything on the market today and we have finally committed design drawings to prototype manufacturing this week.

Our first stage goal is to build a prototype of the transport and shutter mechanism during Q4-2023 allowing us to judge the mechanical performance followed by the actual chassis if the tests conclude positive as simulations predict.

We hope to publish more information about Adélie in December 2023.

https://www.logmar.dk/uncategorized/elementor-1244/

• Upvote 1

Very exciting news. I wonder if Australia will ever film again on real film for some of our feature movie production? And if we can get some 15 perf film IMAX theatres back. Haha. I wish.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

7 hours ago, John Shell said:

SAY HELLO TO ADÉLIE !

It is our pleasure to announce that we have been working on CAD drawings and simulations for the last six months of a new ground breaking 15-perf 65mm camera.

That sounds terrific. I wonder if 8-perf 65mm is better suited to IMAX these days? It's just a thought. Film stocks are better now, and 8-perf might make for a more compact camera.

Anyway, it seems that IMAX needs modern optics. The current selection of lenses isn't quite up to modern standards. What are your thoughts about that?

Did Logmar ever produce fully working cameras at all?

Their first S8-camera only exists as prototypes (with non-working xlr-mic-connectors on all cameras, random or permanent problems with sound-recordings on various specimens,…). Their second S8-camera also only exists as prototypes (okay, this might have been Kodak’s fault and not Logmar‘s). And their third S8-camera simply got canceled a few weeks after the announcement…

Edited by Joerg Polzfusz

It's great that Logmar is making the 5/65mm and 15/65mm camreras but apart from Christopher Nolan and a couple of other filmmakers, no one else will use these.

Why not make an affordable, lightweight, ultrasilent Super16 camera body? This is the most demanded market currently and the cost of owning a second-hand SR3, XTR Prod or a 416 is no longer possible for most independent filmmakers. Logmar could be doing what the early RED cameras did for digital filmmakers- offer professional quality, modulable camera bodies at affordable prices.

An ACL-style multi-lens mount system with adapters, 12-48 fps crystal sync speeds, a basic video tap, a basic timecode with light weight, easy to load co-axial magazines is enough. Supported by the possibility of spare parts and servicing, this could be a very profitable market.

Logmar already must have done a lot of research and testing for their S8 cameras that they could transpose to a S16 system.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Gautam Valluri said:

Why not make an affordable, lightweight, ultrasilent Super16 camera body? This is the most demanded market currently and the cost of owning a second-hand SR3, XTR Prod or a 416 is no longer possible for most independent filmmakers. Logmar could be doing what the early RED cameras did for digital filmmakers- offer professional quality, modulable camera bodies at affordable prices.

An ACL-style multi-lens mount system with adapters, 12-48 fps crystal sync speeds, a basic video tap, a basic timecode with light weight, easy to load co-axial magazines is enough. Supported by the possibility of spare parts and servicing, this could be a very profitable market.

Logmar already must have done a lot of research and testing for their S8 cameras that they could transpose to a S16 system.

Have to chime in because this "low cost, lightweight, ultra silent portable s16 camera" has been talked before so many times.

Pretty much everything else can be done, but "affordable" is in practice impossible to do in today's world because one would need to pre-sell an insanely large batch of cameras to fund the project. The cost would be AT LEAST hundreds of thousands of dollars, most of it going to the precise mechanics engineering and manufacturing.

I mean, the customer base is just not there. people talk a lot about how they would shoot so much stuff if just having cameras available but in real life there is not that many people who could afford to shoot film in first place, even if the cameras would be free... and out of them, only so many even have actually something real to shoot (other than "home movies" and "camera test type of content").

As seen with Logmar and other companies and even based on my own experiences: it is very challenging to design new filmmaking gear, but that is NOTHING compared to the difficulties of actually selling them in large enough quantities to even get the developing money back.

For charity project the s16 super cool hobby camera would work, but not if it needs to be paid for with orders instead of just burning money for fun (and still risking no one buying the end product)

Something over 15k a piece could probably be done but it would still be mechanically inferior to the "gold standard" indie cameras like Eclairs, Arris and Aatons (one would need something like 30k to 40k a piece to get even near the mechanics quality of them) .

Electronics are actually cheaper to make than mechanics so something could be figured out for crystal electronics if the mechanics are just got from somewhere for free

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, aapo lettinen said:

Have to chime in because this "low cost, lightweight, ultra silent portable s16 camera" has been talked before so many times.

Pretty much everything else can be done, but "affordable" is in practice impossible to do in today's world because one would need to pre-sell an insanely large batch of cameras to fund the project. The cost would be AT LEAST hundreds of thousands of dollars, most of it going to the precise mechanics engineering and manufacturing.

I mean, the customer base is just not there. people talk a lot about how they would shoot so much stuff if just having cameras available but in real life there is not that many people who could afford to shoot film in first place, even if the cameras would be free... and out of them, only so many even have actually something real to shoot (other than "home movies" and "camera test type of content").

As seen with Logmar and other companies and even based on my own experiences: it is very challenging to design new filmmaking gear, but that is NOTHING compared to the difficulties of actually selling them in large enough quantities to even get the developing money back.

For charity project the s16 super cool hobby camera would work, but not if it needs to be paid for with orders instead of just burning money for fun (and still risking no one buying the end product)

Something over 15k a piece could probably be done but it would still be mechanically inferior to the "gold standard" indie cameras like Eclairs, Arris and Aatons (one would need something like 30k to 40k a piece to get even near the mechanics quality of them) .

Electronics are actually cheaper to make than mechanics so something could be figured out for crystal electronics if the mechanics are just got from somewhere for free

Considering the costs of developing 5/65mm and 15/65mm that pretty much three people will use, isn't it better to be spending all that money and time in developing S16 cameras?

What's Logmar's end-goal? How do they plan to turn a profit for their investors?

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, Gautam Valluri said:

Considering the costs of developing 5/65mm and 15/65mm that pretty much three people will use, isn't it better to be spending all that money and time in developing S16 cameras?

What's Logmar's end-goal? How do they plan to turn a profit for their investors?

I don't know about Logmar's end goals but sometimes technology companies develop products as a platform of technology development for other purposes. The product itself may not develop profit but it gains attention to the companys technological advancement which can be later turned to profit either by making other more profitable products using the same technology, or by licensing IPR to other companies commercializing the technology.

The platform itself would not be important as long as it gains a lot of attention.

Again, don't know if this is their actual goal but I have understood that the persons behind Logmar are engineers from various fields and probably working on other, more profitable, projects too. Thus it would make perfect sense to have "side quests" like movie cameras to gain more attention to their design expertise and advantage it on other fields

Introducing or re-introducing some film stocks with characteristics, and as an alternative to v3, at a lower price point would be more useful and make film capture more accessible to lower budget productions. This way people can shoot on 35 instead of having to resort to s16 due to economics. There are excellent cameras out there already that we don't need a new camera - especially a new 65mm camera that no earthly being can afford shooting ? 

9 hours ago, Gautam Valluri said:

It's great that Logmar is making the 5/65mm and 15/65mm camreras but apart from Christopher Nolan and a couple of other filmmakers, no one else will use these.

they proposed this and designed something. many members on this forum piled on with criticisms of the design, such that it seemed to convince them to abandon the idea. 

its also worth noting there does not appear to be a way of making a quick change magazine s16 camera for under $40k USD. Ditch the quick change mag, you're probably still at 25-30k USD (this has been discussed at length on this forum). you can get an SR3 Advanced with mags for 20k USD right now, and those are known to be bullet proof. Logmar had even designed a new Max 8 camera, but didnt get enough pre orders despite only costing around $5k USD. All of these camera designs Logmar had published were modular.

to make a new, SR3 Advanced or 416 compatible camera with spare parts would be a massive investment even if all the fabrication and assembly was done in china. This basically would require buy in from some major rental houses for it to work. The vast majority of 16 shooters on the low end dont want to spend more than 10k for a camera, and at the high end they only trust the Arris or late Aatons. 

Ultimately if the community wants these cameras, we actually have to buy in when someone puts out a design and is taking pre orders. The only other option would be to press Arri to start making more spare parts if not full film cameras again, and by all indications that is extremely unlikely (they may not even have the tooling anymore)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Giray Izcan said:

Introducing or re-introducing some film stocks with characteristics, and as an alternative to v3, at a lower price point would be more useful and make film capture more accessible to lower budget productions. This way people can shoot on 35 instead of having to resort to s16 due to economics. There are excellent cameras out there already that we don't need a new camera - especially a new 65mm camera that no earthly being can afford shooting ? 

this makes the assumption Kodak has any interest or even financial ability to create such a stock. it would be a huge investment for a budget item that may have no market at the high end, and might risk seeming unappealing vs V3 16mm. Given that they made a prototype of V4 and then abandoned it, it just seems unlikely they'd go for a low end product with quality compromises when they're faced with competition from the likes of the Alexa 35. 

I suppose its always possible for someone to concoct a chemical breakthrough that would warrant making such a stock, but it seems very unlikely. From a financial standpoint Kodak is likely better off doubling down on their EV battery chemical division 

14 hours ago, Robin Phillips said:

they proposed this and designed something. many members on this forum piled on with criticisms of the design, such that it seemed to convince them to abandon the idea. 

its also worth noting there does not appear to be a way of making a quick change magazine s16 camera for under $40k USD. Ditch the quick change mag, you're probably still at 25-30k USD (this has been discussed at length on this forum). you can get an SR3 Advanced with mags for 20k USD right now, and those are known to be bullet proof. Logmar had even designed a new Max 8 camera, but didnt get enough pre orders despite only costing around $5k USD. All of these camera designs Logmar had published were modular.

to make a new, SR3 Advanced or 416 compatible camera with spare parts would be a massive investment even if all the fabrication and assembly was done in china. This basically would require buy in from some major rental houses for it to work. The vast majority of 16 shooters on the low end dont want to spend more than 10k for a camera, and at the high end they only trust the Arris or late Aatons. 

Ultimately if the community wants these cameras, we actually have to buy in when someone puts out a design and is taking pre orders. The only other option would be to press Arri to start making more spare parts if not full film cameras again, and by all indications that is extremely unlikely (they may not even have the tooling anymore)

Robin, I wasn't aware that Logmar proposed S16 cameras. I just found out about their cancelled Rockhopper and Galapagos cameras. I stand corrected!

Looking at the specs now they looked promising, except the lack of 400ft loads, and I'm sorry they never got it off the ground.

• Premium Member

I think the biggest issue with new film equipment development is that the customer base does not allow large projects to be crowdfunded. Not enough supporters to cover the developing costs let alone the actual manufacturing and it is common that even the few ones bail out at some point leaving the project stranded with no resources to continue.

-----

just to have some figures I tried to estimate based on my own experiences:

I think about 1/100 of people are "real customers" who really want to purchase something and use it in real life and end up paying for the product and getting it delivered.

At least 10/100 or 20/100 are "critics" who have no intention on buying anything  but they have tons of ideas how to "make the design better" , sometimes even kind of wanting to "turn it to their own design" instead of just "improving it".

Something like 5/100 are copycats ("industrial espionage") who follow you around on different social media platforms and very boldly try to ask tons of very specific technical and design details of your project, kind of  "I am not buying anything, I have this Arduino project I have been working on for 5 years and want to copy all your IPR so that I can finish it". 

Then there is always one or two who have some kind of "competing project" they "just remembered" when seeing your project has gained attention and want to urgently present it on your threads so that people "know that there is another design which could be bought too because I am super condifent it will be finished soon and will be super cool, it has this bell and this whistle which are unimportant but look very nice and we are making it with child labour on our own loss so it costs only 20 bucks shipping included"... then people want to wait until BOTH projects are finished before deciding if ANY of them would be worth consideration. If one of the projects fails (quite often the "competing one") , then NONE of the products are sold because people wanted to choose between the two presented "options" and now they can't do that anymore and go elsewhere.

The rest of the people are just hanging around, knowing that they likely have no money nor time to shoot anything even if they had a camera and tons of film so they just give some praise and thumbs up for the any cool projects they find and return to daydreaming how great the World would be if anybody would have time and money to just do cool movies all day, every day. Though, even if having time and money and all the stuff, it would be very difficult to decide a good enough script to be worth spending all of that for. Maybe it would be easier to just watch some tiktok videos first? Netflix and ice cream?  Filmmaking is so troublesome after all. Maybe tommorrow would get an inspiration and THEN would do something ?

-----

Don't wanting to be bitter or sarcastic or anything, but I have worked on these own camera motor projects for almost 4 years now and I have to stuggle EVERY DAY with the thoughts if it is worth it at all and if it really makes any sense to continue making anything for anyone. It is just not very rewarding making this stuff in the end and actually it can be quite depressing when having tons of finished circuit boards of different designs piling up and no one using them for actual shooting. At some point I will just need to start to throw some of it away and move on something else.

Then people wondering why "no one wants to develop new gadgets for film cameras" ?

(seeing me openly criticize stuff like this shows quite clearly how difficult it is to make anything new film related even on very low almost-like-hobby level:   normally one would fear losing sales if opening one's mouth but because the projects are not really creating any real revenue (all goes to R&D costs) it is more like charity work after all so does not matter that much ?  just wanted to say something because people always wonder where the designers go and why they abandon "cool movie camera stuff" projects at some point. Well, they get frustrated and don't want to lose money anymore and go somewhere where they get paid for their work. That is the sad truth about film camera gadgets: they don't generate real revenue and thus any new gear and their designers are kind of "shooting stars", only lasting for a moment and then going elsewhere leaving users, again, with no available gadgets for their cameras  ?   )

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, aapo lettinen said:

I think about 1/100 of people are "real customers" who really want to purchase something and use it in real life and end up paying for the product and getting it delivered.

Here's a challenge to everyone on this board: go support these projects financially if you really love film. This is just a side job and a hobby for me but I have bought three ACL motors from Aapo.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
On 9/21/2023 at 12:15 PM, aapo lettinen said:

I think the biggest issue with new film equipment development is that the customer base does not allow large projects to be crowdfunded. Not enough supporters to cover the developing costs let alone the actual manufacturing and it is common that even the few ones bail out at some point leaving the project stranded with no resources to continue.

-----

just to have some figures I tried to estimate based on my own experiences:

At least 10/100 or 20/100 are "critics" who have no intention on buying anything  but they have tons of ideas how to "make the design better" , sometimes even kind of wanting to "turn it to their own design" instead of just "improving it".

Something like 5/100 are copycats ("industrial espionage") who follow you around on different social media platforms and very boldly try to ask tons of very specific technical and design details of your project, kind of  "I am not buying anything, I have this Arduino project I have been working on for 5 years and want to copy all your IPR so that I can finish it". 

Then there is always one or two who have some kind of "competing project" they "just remembered" when seeing your project has gained attention and want to urgently present it on your threads so that people "know that there is another design which could be bought too because I am super condifent it will be finished soon and will be super cool, it has this bell and this whistle which are unimportant but look very nice and we are making it with child labour on our own loss so it costs only 20 bucks shipping included"... then people want to wait until BOTH projects are finished before deciding if ANY of them would be worth consideration. If one of the projects fails (quite often the "competing one") , then NONE of the products are sold because people wanted to choose between the two presented "options" and now they can't do that anymore and go elsewhere.

The rest of the people are just hanging around, knowing that they likely have no money nor time to shoot anything even if they had a camera and tons of film so they just give some praise and thumbs up for the any cool projects they find and return to daydreaming how great the World would be if anybody would have time and money to just do cool movies all day, every day. Though, even if having time and money and all the stuff, it would be very difficult to decide a good enough script to be worth spending all of that for. Maybe it would be easier to just watch some tiktok videos first? Netflix and ice cream?  Filmmaking is so troublesome after all. Maybe tommorrow would get an inspiration and THEN would do something ?

-----

Don't wanting to be bitter or sarcastic or anything, but I have worked on these own camera motor projects for almost 4 years now and I have to stuggle EVERY DAY with the thoughts if it is worth it at all and if it really makes any sense to continue making anything for anyone. It is just not very rewarding making this stuff in the end and actually it can be quite depressing when having tons of finished circuit boards of different designs piling up and no one using them for actual shooting. At some point I will just need to start to throw some of it away and move on something else.

Then people wondering why "no one wants to develop new gadgets for film cameras" ?

(seeing me openly criticize stuff like this shows quite clearly how difficult it is to make anything new film related even on very low almost-like-hobby level:   normally one would fear losing sales if opening one's mouth but because the projects are not really creating any real revenue (all goes to R&D costs) it is more like charity work after all so does not matter that much ?  just wanted to say something because people always wonder where the designers go and why they abandon "cool movie camera stuff" projects at some point. Well, they get frustrated and don't want to lose money anymore and go somewhere where they get paid for their work. That is the sad truth about film camera gadgets: they don't generate real revenue and thus any new gear and their designers are kind of "shooting stars", only lasting for a moment and then going elsewhere leaving users, again, with no available gadgets for their cameras  ?   )

Aapo, do you have a website showing your products? 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

Aapo, do you have a website showing your products? 

Haven't set up it yet...  will need to check out which controllers and motors I will continue to make in the future (there has been talks about a Arri16S crystal motor for example. I can crystal modify Kinors and Konvases as well but there seems to be pretty low demand for those so need to consider if they are worth it to finish) and then can decide which ones would be useful to present on a webpage. For now it has been common that I have made couple of pieces of each model and then there were no further orders and I had to discontinue the whole product after the first batch so I think it would be most useful if the products on whe webpage would be ones with at least 3 year lifespan so that people have time to find it and even then will need to know if I can sell single modification anymore after this year or if I need to change the business model to larger custom orders where one would need to purchase from 3 to 5 pieces at a time (the whole batch at a time) if wanting to order something

1 hour ago, aapo lettinen said:

Haven't set up it yet...  will need to check out which controllers and motors I will continue to make in the future (there has been talks about a Arri16S crystal motor for example. I can crystal modify Kinors and Konvases as well but there seems to be pretty low demand for those so need to consider if they are worth it to finish) and then can decide which ones would be useful to present on a webpage. For now it has been common that I have made couple of pieces of each model and then there were no further orders and I had to discontinue the whole product after the first batch so I think it would be most useful if the products on whe webpage would be ones with at least 3 year lifespan so that people have time to find it and even then will need to know if I can sell single modification anymore after this year or if I need to change the business model to larger custom orders where one would need to purchase from 3 to 5 pieces at a time (the whole batch at a time) if wanting to order something

if you do an Arri 16s crystal motor I'll commit to buying at least one right now. please put me on the list

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, aapo lettinen said:

Hi Aapo, maybe more people would buy your products if they knew about them. An Arri S crystal sync motor would interest me too and many of the other Arri S owners I'm sure, as long as they are aware that they exist.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
On 9/24/2023 at 9:32 AM, Uli Meyer said:

Hi Aapo, maybe more people would buy your products if they knew about them. An Arri S crystal sync motor would interest me too and many of the other Arri S owners I'm sure, as long as they are aware that they exist.

I think the main issue is that I need to work batch based and cannot keep a single product available for very long (a year is pretty much the absolute maximum which is possible and then I will generally need to either discontinue or upgrade the model). A webpage however would need content which stays the same for at least couple of years before changing... with the current working method it is only practical to use social media channels for trying to sell stuff because they may be available for only couple of months or even weeks so it would be pointless to put that kind of material to a webpage when people likely would check it only once or twice a year.

I have some plans on making a batch of Arri S motor conversions from fixed speed motor or variable speed motor to 2-speed crystal sync. so would need the original motor here to be converted

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Gautam,

Thanks for chiming into the conversation.

On 9/20/2023 at 11:31 AM, Gautam Valluri said:

We are currently actively pursuing 6505 and 6515 platforms while also "semi-actively" working on the Gentoo 8mm camera as a "backburner" for rental companies only. We decided to park our 16mm cameras for the time being due to resource constraints (rather than monetary, it's more about the fact that there's just not enough time in the day to work on yet another platform)

Our 65/05 platform is finally shaping up to be production worthy aiming at first movies shot on it in Q1-24

Our 65/15 platform is in active R&D today with a prototype being worked on and evaluated.
Our aim with 15-perf is to create the world's first non-mos 65/15 allowing it to be used for dialog scenes without dubbing.

What is your end goal / mission statement?

We aim to create world-class cameras offering unsurpassable image quality through the use of our own IP.

How do we turn a profit for our investors? 

Through rental of 65mm cameras and sale of IP design services.
We have yet to generate a profit for our investors however, but foresee a healthy ROI from 2024 onwards.

• Like 4

On 10/27/2023 at 1:25 PM, Tommy Lau Madsen said:

Hi Gautam,

Thanks for chiming into the conversation.

We are currently actively pursuing 6505 and 6515 platforms while also "semi-actively" working on the Gentoo 8mm camera as a "backburner" for rental companies only. We decided to park our 16mm cameras for the time being due to resource constraints (rather than monetary, it's more about the fact that there's just not enough time in the day to work on yet another platform)

Our 65/05 platform is finally shaping up to be production worthy aiming at first movies shot on it in Q1-24

Our 65/15 platform is in active R&D today with a prototype being worked on and evaluated.
Our aim with 15-perf is to create the world's first non-mos 65/15 allowing it to be used for dialog scenes without dubbing.

What is your end goal / mission statement?

We aim to create world-class cameras offering unsurpassable image quality through the use of our own IP.

How do we turn a profit for our investors? 

Through rental of 65mm cameras and sale of IP design services.
We have yet to generate a profit for our investors however, but foresee a healthy ROI from 2024 onwards.

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for taking time out to respond to my queries. I was previously unaware of the work you guys were doing on the S16 cameras. Hoping you guys will find the resources to pick it up again soon!

In the meantime, wishing you the best for the 65mm camera systems development.

Best,
Gautam

• Upvote 1