Star Trek Into Darkness.

I watched the film on Monday at the BFI Imax in London . It was 15/70mm film projection , but it was shown in 3D this film was not shot 3D . Produced on film Panavision Anamorphic and certain scenes shot 15perf Imax . The conversion i thought was awful and not needed ! . I had Anamorphic flares right in my face [so off putting ] I loved the movie but all i wanted to see was a 2D Imax presentation but not possible as i say really enjoyed the film but the 3D was poop .

• Premium Member

I saw a 3D trailer and had the same reaction -- because an anamorphic flare happens in the lens (obviously) it gets dimensionalized so that it is in the extreme foreground, so are twice as distracting in 3D (personally I love those flares in 2D). In 3D, each passing flare was like having someone wave their hands in front of your face while you are trying watch the movie.

35mm: I watched the first screening of the day. For some reason, the house lights were left on until halfway through the screening. It did not ruin my viewing experience. Ahh.... the textures. Man, I really enjoy watching a good 35mm print. The REAL IMAX theater in my area is showing 15/70 prints as 3D. I plan to check that out in a few weeks after the crowds diminish.

Dan Mindel, ASC gets better and better with time. There was some very nice camera movement. The 'A' camera operator was a bit slow on the tilt during close-ups. It still has me thinking about the way I follow the rhythm of an actors performance and body language during a close-up.

I really enjoyed the way they flipped the death of one the main characters, when contrast with the original rendition of the scene done by Shatner and Nimoy(fans of the original movies know what I'm talking about).

Edited by James Compton

So no 2D IMAX, huh? Seems kinda pointless to go through all that trouble and then only exhibit it in 3D. What gives?

The only theater I know off the top of my head that's definitely playing this in 15/70 2D is the Airbus at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA. There are probably a couple more.

• Premium Member

I saw that the Rave Cinema at the Howard Hughes Parkway near Culver City is showing alternating screenings of 3D IMAX digital and 2D 15/70, if they were correctly labeling things on the board in the box office (the alternate screenings were labeled "70mm IMAX" and the other IMAX screenings were labeled "3D" but I'm not 100% sure if that means the 70mm IMAX was 2D).

• Premium Member

Imax Melbourne are showing it in 15/70 3D, although when I went last sunday there was a technical problem and they had to show a digital version. Despite some spectacular visual effects the 3D often seemed poorly done, and the Kirk/Spock love story script was pretty uninspired.

I should've listened to Phil.

Guest Stephen Murphy

I saw it in 2d and thought it was beautifully lit. You could see the grain structure change between the 65mm and anamorphic sequences but it wasn't distracting. It's just a shame that the story was so poor and I'm really, really tired of the modern trend to cut everything so tightly - let's get back to more old school in camera editing and proper staging please.

When did everyone get too snobbish to enjoy a good popcorn flick? There's a whole lot of shitting on this movie for no reason. It was a perfectly enjoyable film. I wonder how many of you guys would have, if transported to 1984, bemoan the story of Terminator or a similar film in your crumdgenly state.