Hoping to find a jib that is "good enough"

Michael Hammond

Hi there,

I want to buy a jib to upscale my productions. I'm in that spot where I don't want to spend thousands, but I also don't need a top line, ultra-professional piece of gear that I'm going to go into debt for. If I ever need something like that I'll rent. For now, I want something I can set up as a solo shooter or maybe with an assistant.

My main "asks" are these:

• Under $1000
  • Something I can set up as a solo shooter or maybe with an assistant
  • Doesn't shake or shimmy as it moves (a lot of review videos I watch leave me a little underwhelmed in the stabilization of the shots)
  • Weight capacity of 12lbs or less

Does anyone have any experience with a brand that they've use to good effect? I'm looking at CobraCrane for now because it gets good ratings on B&H.

Maybe the right jib doesn't exist in my price point?

Any input would be very appreciated. Thanks!

• Premium Member

I personally have never used an inexpensive jib that works well. 

The best "low end" jib I've used is an intel-a-jib. It flat-out works. Easy to assemble by yourself. Easy to balance and can take a pretty heavy load. I've used it on many shoots (rental is cheap on it) and you should be able to find one used somewhere. You can also hang a pan tilt head to it, which is very nice and important for real jib shots. 

The cobra looks pretty lame, for sure not of the quality intel-a-jib. I wish their pictures were better, but the website looks old. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! That intel-a-jib is pretty far out of my budget zone but I make take a closer look at the Seven.

I do wish all these companies had better video examples of shots taken with their gear. I find the available examples pretty lacking in professionalism and info.

But I've ordered a couple of lower cost jibs to try out...and most likely return. My gut and brain is telling me the ones I've ordered are just not anywhere near good enough. If and when I send them both back I'll dive into the Seven and see about that.

Edited by Michael Hammond

4 hours ago, Robert Houllahan said:

It is very good piece of kit for the money and he is in New Jersey so Michael could probably go check it out in person.

I looked them up and it turns out I've driven right by this place a dozen times lol.

On 2/23/2021 at 9:03 AM, Michael Hammond said:

Does anyone have any experience with a brand that they've use to good effect? I'm looking at CobraCrane for now because it gets good ratings on B&H.

Pro Am also has some around the same price as the Cobra Crane. I don't have any experience with them to tell you about, but could be one to look into. I'm sure there's some videos on youtube covering it.

https://www.proamusa.com/collections/camera-cranes-jibs

I've had this for 12 years, it does the job. It's a clone of a Libec JB-30. Can handle an O'Connor 50D or Manfrotto 502HD head loaded with a Moviecam SL MKI and a 400' mag. Got it for $300 off eBay.

https://kitsplit.com/rent/fancier-ft9115-6-portable-aluminum-jib-like-libec-jb30-includes-manfrotto-502hd-fluid-head-supports-35-lbs-15-kg-brooklyn-ny

• 2 weeks later...

Also check out the Proaim 10 Wave jib. New it's $680.00 and I have had mine for a couple of years. Your camera package has to be massive to make it jiggle. The worst thing about this monster is its carrying bag, which works but is just too soft sided for a heavy item like this: 

https://www.proaim.ca/collections/jibs/products/proaim-10-wave-2-plus-telescopic-jib-arm-crane

Jib.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 11:40 AM, Hannes Famira said:Your camera package has to be massive to make it jiggle. 

Hi Hanes thx for the suggestion. The issue I’m finding with the products I’m trying is that they’re inherently jiggly due to the construction no matter the kind of camera or weight I use. And they’re also poorly built in a way that as I rotate/pan/crane up and down they go out of level regardless of how level the tripod head is. 

How do you find the ProAim to be in these situations?

• Like 1

Let me just start out saying that I am not a big fan of Proaim products in general. They seem clunky, heavy and are missing the sort of mechanical refinement that I am always looking for in my gear. This jib is an exception. Big, heavy and clunky are actually positive qualities in this case. It feels like a tractor. There is no play or slack in the joints. I found that once the jib is recklessly overloaded my heavy-duty Ronford&Baker tripod becomes the bigger problem, not the jib itself. I solved this issue by mounting it on fat, old Mitchell risers rather than on the tripod.

If the base stays level, the head stays level too and I have had no issue with that. 

The Matthews DC slider "floatcam" was an awesome piece of gear and could do everything a jib could and also act as a slider.  I think the main problem with this product was the price.  It just couldn't find a home anywhere in the market.  No rental house had it and nobody bought them for personal use. Adorama has a used one if you are willing to go beyond your budget.