Red Epic - First time Tips

Gabriel Wilson

"X camera package" may be referring to the Mysterium-X sensor, at least that's how they detail it on eBay.

http://www.red.com/products/epic-mx#tech-specs

I shot on that sensor but with a Red One, so not as many frame rate/DR features.

I recall it was a very warm sensor, but also pretty noisy. Cropping into 3k or lower made the footage unusable for some people's standards.

Also could get a tad too magenta in the mids/shadows at times.

Not sure if this helps.

Wear a flannel shirt.. .. if you dont have long hair for man bun.. wear wig.. call all other crew members Dude or Bro.. if at all possible skate board to location.. or at least carry one around at such break.. declare after cut that each shot was sick and /or awesome ..

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member

In my day, they used to turn up in running shoes without any socks.
I remember one early 80s hippy outfit (financed by the head honcho's mother) where they kept bringing back various pieces of studio equipment claiming they was faulty, but we could never find anything wrong with any of them. Turned out his Jennifer Juniper girlfriend had become concerned about the effect all these "electrics" might be having on his Aura, and so their production studio was draped with crystals and negative ion generators. The electrostatic charge from those was what was buggering up the equipment :rolleyes:

A lot of negativity regarding the users of this camera. Weird. It's just a tool. I have filmed some very good images with the Red Epic at 5K HD setting. There can be noise in very low light situations but overall I found it to be a well made professional camera system (it had the Pro IO unit on it which gave it XLR inputs). Set the fans on silent record.

Wear a flannel shirt.. .. if you dont have long hair for man bun.. wear wig.. call all other crew members Dude or Bro.. if at all possible skate board to location.. or at least carry one around at such break.. declare after cut that each shot was sick and /or awesome ..

Make certain you grow some Hipster chin scruff before the shoot. As an alternative to riding a long board to set, a Razor scooter would do.

• Upvote 1

Ken.. its pretty light hearted banter really..thats been going on for a while on this forum .. of course they can produce great images.. I think everyone who watches TV or see films knows that.. but there is no denying there is a bit of room for piss taking with the image they have largely nurtured themselves as a company ..and their disciples .. and the whole skull thing and naming of parts/camera,s can be seen to bit a wank TBH.. Im sure the engineers themselves most likely think the same..

Here's some stuff that I write down after working with a system for a while so if I don't use it for a while I remember where things are and what's worked in the past:

Black balance between 37° to 47° C. Find a fan speed that keeps that temperature consistent and run the calibration. This fan speed is now your baseline, use auto sparingly.

Redgamma settings

Menu > Settings > Look > Color/Gamma

User Buttons Setup:

1. Raw check

2. Fan Mode

3. Media

1. False colour

2. 1:1

3. Zebra 1/2 toggle

4. TC Jamsync

Fan noise shouldn't be too much of an issue now but the sensor temperature is annoyingly fragile. I find setting a consistent fan speed that keeps temperature stable ends up being quieter overall than Auto/Quiet record