movies that talk about film making

I have always had a soft spot about movies that talks about film making. I thought may be I should share my list with you guys and hopefully you may tell me some of your recommendations.

1- Hugo 2011

2- The other side of the wind 2018

3- The Fabelmans

4- The fall 2006 (it doesn't talk about film making but it features the power of story telling)

5- Stranger than fiction (This movie truly depicts how it feels like to be a writer)

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Heart of Darkness is my favorite. 

It's about the making of Apocalypse now. 

I haven't seen very many movies about the "film industry" which come close to that, narrative or documentary. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell
  • Like 2

I remember "And God Spoke" from 1993

In theory a comic mocumentary about the making a big Biblical epic, but in practice actually a documentary of every real film I've ever worked on.

Edited by Steve Switaj
  • Like 1

'Super 8' 2011. About some young filmmakers with a camera, etc.

Not feature movies, but TV series from the 70s that I loved (as I saw them just as I was getting into filmmaking myself):

An episode each from 'The Brady Bunch' and 'Gilligan's Island', where the regular characters make a movie.

I remember 'Day for Night'. Haven't seen that film for years. I saw it on late-night TV as a teenager.

• Like 1

King Kong, the original version (1933?), and the second re-make with Jack Black in it. The 70s version of King Kong which in my opinion was a great film and a ripping adventure yarn with a lot of unique qualities didn't feature the movie-making plot detail but instead went with having one of the main protagonists played by Jeff Bridges as a stills photographer complete with Nikon model F and motordrive, several lenses in his camera bag, etc. A good film from Dino De Laurentiis.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember the title of this film about filmmaking that I can't remember. I think it came out just before "Living in Oblivion," and had a very similar plot: the misadventures of a small group of low-budget indy filmmakers.

I remember the film being almost as funny as Living in Oblivion or maybe funnier, but it appeared to be truly low budget. Like 20 -25 400 ft. rolls of b & w neg plus lab costs and that's it low-budget.

Anyway, it did get a release and I saw it then and maybe someone else remembers it.

Edited by charles pappas
correction

• Premium Member

Show People (1928)

Man With a Movie Camera (Человек с киноаппаратом, 1929)

Make Me a Star (1932)

Movie Crazy (1932)

What Price Hollywood (1932)

Crashing Hollywood (1938)

Fassbinder, Warnung vor einer heiligen Nutte (1971)

Fedora (1978)

Swimming With Sharks (1994)

• Like 1