Pronunication of the word "Arri"

• Premium Member

In doubt say Arnold & Richter. That makes you a connoisseur. Connoisseur is wrong, the word is connaisseur, pure French. Should like to know how Americans came to the writing with o. The & of Arnold & Richter is spoken et, Latin. Not E. T. Gee, I could go on for hours about spoken and written languages. Aaton, Aäton earlier, has a double a, a-aton, after an ancient Egyptian god. Paillard, more French, needs to be practised. Bolex has a short o as in box, not Bowlex as often heard. The trade mark stems from Yakub Bogopolsky who had his name from the town Bogopol. To round off my lecture, it’s Tsookerbarg, nothing else. Zuckerberg is a German name, so it has to be spoken German. When I hear Suckerbørg or something like that, I know that he deserves it.

• Upvote 1

Bolex has a short o as in box, not Bowlex as often heard.

For English speakers, well at least in Australia, wouldn't that come out sounding somewhat like "bollocks"? Which, I don't mean to be crude, in some parts of the world means something else. Well, they are great cameras, yes.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

Cinematographers could adopt a universal name: "Ari, Airy, Arry" (the stress being upon the first syllable). Perhaps as a sort of secret trade greeting, or like a masonic thing. It sounds a bit like Julius Caesar's famous Veni Vidi Vici. Which was pronounced something like Weenie, Widdy, Wikkie. Just joking.

• Premium Member

I think I bounce between the sharp 'a' ('Arry' like 'Harry'), and the soft 'a' ('Ar-ree' like 'Barley'). Weirdly I do the same with France, Dance, Prance. I'll go hard or soft on the 'a' depending on the sentence I'm using it in.

I don't know why.

I'm just difficult I guess.

• Premium Member

One should always pronounce a brand name in the way the country of origin pronounces it.....simple.....

Arri: "A-ree' as in Harry but without the H
Aaton: Ah-ton - as in atom

By the way my American friends....whats with ERBS for herbs? and whats with AlumiNUM for aluminium? hahahahaha etc etc etc

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

our Finns have relatively short history of written (Finnish) language so we are not that accustomed to difficult pronunciation rules and such, we just pronounce the names and other stuff as they are written unless one really knows how to say it correctly in the original language and wants to point it out :lol:

it may become hilarious at times when one has million different pronunciations of the same name and changes it every time when being unsure which one to use :lol:

Arri would be either Arri or some type of Ärrö or anything :lol:

(very easy language in general... though we have the practice of adding standard suffixes to the words to add more meaning to the base word so that one could theoretically compress even whole sentences to one or two words by adding suffixes and conjugating the base word. for example, maanmittari (land survey technician) as a base word, maanmittarittaretta (without female land survey technician lady) or maanmittarittarettaankaan (even without their female land survey technician lady) or could for example be like "Pärjäisiväthän maanmittarittarettaankohankaan?" ( "I highly suspect" would they even manage without their female land survey technician lady being around helping them) . to the point where it takes too much time to figure out what the person is talking about and they don't want to add any more suffixes so that it would not take the whole day to figure out what they mean :ph34r: lots of practical and easy to understand words, like "treadmill" is "juoksumatto" in Finnish which is basically "running carpet" literally translated. Escalator, "rullaportaat" or "liukuportaat" is just "rolling stairs" or "sliding stairs". you can deduce the meaning from the word without knowing it beforehand, very easy :lol: )

This is funny that this thread was raised from the dead over such a topic.

I can give you the 100% absolute definitive answer here and now, as well as why I know this in the form of a story.

Arri is pronounced "ARE-REE" The "are" comes from Arnold and the "ree" comes from Richter. Arnold & Richter Cinetechnik: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arri

It's not "Air-ree" because his name was not "Airnold".

Here's why I know this; at the end of last year, Arri held an instagram photo contest in which the first prize was a free trip to the Arri factory headquarters in Munich Germany. I was lucky enough to win that first prize and took a trip to the Arri manufacturing facility in Munich, as well as the Lighting factory in Stephanskirchen. Everyone in Germany I spoke to pronounced it "ARE-REE". One night during my trip I was speaking with a few of the marketing people and I brought it up in conversation. I said something like "boy I'm glad to hear you guys pronouncing Arri the way you are because I always thought it was that way." They replied with something like "Yes, even some of the people that work for Arri don't say it right." I agreed with them and mentioned how there are many many people in Los Angeles that say it wrong.

But of course, I don't correct them because then that would make me a jerk.... :lol: :lol:

So if you get into a debate with someone about it, tell em' I told you it was Arri!

Here is a link to my instagram if anyone wants to see some cool photos from my trip! https://www.instagram.com/p/BgoirDeBeX7/?taken-by=ryantothec